Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #526
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,364
Thumb A "cahns only" deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Block your ears Troy - no need for you to notice my peddling things in this thread.

I think we'll regard this one as a "public service announcement"... given that you are in Perth, the "cahns" are headed for perth and the safari starts in perth... So, "blind eye status" invoked.

If you have no takers and want to flog 'em on the open ADV RACING forum market... pop an ADVert in the RACING forum fleamarket up the top of the board.

's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #527
nry

Oddometer: 1,288
Wasn't chaddy08 looking for tyres over in the aus forum ?
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #528
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Block your ears Troy - no need for you to notice my peddling things in this thread. (You are a mod aren't you?)

So, Cahns, how are you guys off for tyres? I have a bunch of Michelin Deserts, fronts and rears, sitting here in Perth just dying for some dirty action. They were destined for the Dakar but I have a deal sorted that means I won't need all the stock of tyres I have amassed. So if you're planning on using Michey hoops and don't fancy carting them across the country, I just might have a deal for you.

PM me for details if you're interested.
you should have said that a month ago when I was desperately searching for them ...

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #529
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoz View Post
you should have said that a month ago when I was desperately searching for them ...
Sorry mate. The deal that sees me with access to tyres on the Dakar without having to cart them all over the blinkin' planet only got sorted today. Do you have enough? You'll need about 20 pairs for the Safari, so if you're short you know who to see.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #530
Sundowner OP
Bort

Oddometer: 3,523
I'm possibly keen on a pair of rears. Will PM you today (much later - it's 1 a.m and I've just finished building my new front wheel, so that's enough thinking for the night.) Great job on the tyre sponsorship, J. And thanks for thinking of us first. Much appreciated.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #531
2volts
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 278
Jaybo I've got my tyres sorted but thanks for thinking of us.

But I can't believe how difficult it is to get hold of simple stuff likes tyres and mousse tubes here in this wonderful land of ours, even when you are organised and start searching and placing orders 4 months ahead of the event, I'm ending up getting my front mousses from the UK...

pete
2volts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #532
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Carbon monkeys are done;

michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #533
geoz
Orange rules

That's a piece of art!
You'll be promoted to Carbon ape. ;)

hg
Old 08-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #534
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,364
Thumb breaking a trend... cahn's style

...just when all the factory boys start using "clear screens"... nry goes with the "stealth bomber look"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 AM   #535
nry

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
...just when all the factory boys start using "clear screens"... nry goes with the "stealth bomber look"...
KinA !

I'm going back to the future with this bad boy !

I've been running around all day working and picking up parts etc. got back home after a 2 hour drive low flying trip from Michaels and ran in the house with the thing on my head looks insane, and is great for "Luke I am your father" impressions ! It's also solid as a rock due to its shape and fabrication.

I've got to cut some holes in it though .. Poo. I've got some squadrons which would be heavy compared to the standard Honda headlight which I'd need to make a bracket for so could end up a similar weight.. Decisions decisions, Michaels 530 light would look good but he was keeping too close and eye on me

Two seconds later I had tea all over my lap

nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #536
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
You can turn it into a 530 one part at a time;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321504170506?redirect=mobile

Then maybe you can catch me at Condo next year
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 AM   #537
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
36 pages in and I still havent seen a finished bike with 2 weeks to go

Must all be in a WA state of mind?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #538
Sundowner OP
Bort

Classic photo, Neil! And bloody nice work, Michael. Police radars will bounce straight off that baby.

I've been busy myself...wheel building until 1 am the last two nights. Taught myself how to do it from a thread in The Garage forum here, so it took a bit longer than expected, being new at it, but the results are pleasing.

Started with the front, stripping it bare...

Then cutting out the hub....

Then dropping it into the new rim, correct way around, shimming it on a pile of magazines to lift the rim for the correct offset...

Until fully laced, then a couple of hours of careful spoke tightening before a couple more hours of truing the new rim and tensioning the spokes properly...

Easy...
Last night I did the same to the rear wheel....

to now look like this...

Wanted to lace the second rear rim onto the Talon hub tonight, only to find that the Talon is a 36 hole hub, so won't fit the second 32 hole rim. So unless I can find a spare rear hub urgently, I'm down to one rear wheel only - no spare for the Service van if anything goes wrong. Not a good situation, but I'll have to deal with it.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #539
Sundowner OP
Bort

In exactly one months time, I hope to be lined up at the Kallbari Hospital emergency area, asking a nice nurse to gently remove a motorcycle seat from my arse crack. I hope it doesn't hurt as much as I expect it to.
I need to consider the foam to use in my bike seat build, which will be one evening next week, once the suspension and engine work is done this weekend. Any advice from the rally collective/resident upholsters here on the type of foam to use for the base? I've been considering the multi foam conglomerate, which is made of many small pieces of multiple density foam pieces, all moulded/crushed together. I've also heard thick soft single density foam would work but my past experiences with soft trail bike seats haven't been very positive. Be happy to hear any suggestions on a good base system.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:48 AM   #540
geoz
Orange rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
In exactly one months time, I hope to be lined up at the Kallbari Hospital emergency area, asking a nice nurse to gently remove a motorcycle seat from my arse crack. I hope it doesn't hurt as much as I expect it to.
I need to consider the foam to use in my bike seat build, which will be one evening next week, once the suspension and engine work is done this weekend. Any advice from the rally collective/resident upholsters here on the type of foam to use for the base? I've been considering the multi foam conglomerate, which is made of many small pieces of multiple density foam pieces, all moulded/crushed together. I've also heard thick soft single density foam would work but my past experiences with soft trail bike seats haven't been very positive. Be happy to hear any suggestions on a good base system.
My advice: ride standing up and save the weight ;) unless you want to meet that nice nurse.

hg