Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #61
Sundowner OP
Bort

Oddometer: 3,505
I have something more retro planned for it, Troy. Difficult to do a proper replica and still stay within the class rules for Showroom Production, but I'll do what I can to make this an interesting machine. Stay tuned. Might be a few months before I do the full unvealing though.

Hey, while I do some show and tell around here, I should share a little of the trip home from last years Safari. I took the long way home, via the forrests south of Perth. Was a geat ride. Got a little stuck for a couple of hours here....

There was a storm through the area a couple of days before. Magnificent old gum trees everywhere. Including across forrest tracks.

It was a quick introduction to the black soil mud of the area. Damn stuff was like a pot of glue.

Took me a hell of an effort to move it more than a bike length at a time. She was so heavy and the ground so soft, I was basically stuck in the rut made by an earlier 4WD.

The only way to work this out was to unload the bike...

And lay it over from one side to the other, building up the rut under the bike wheels with pieces of the exploded tree...

Until I finally escaped, to continue the 3000 or so kilometres home....

Really looking forward to this year's adventure. 4 months and 5 days to go!!
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.

Sundowner screwed with this post 05-13-2014 at 04:19 AM
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:00 AM   #62
nry

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

Really looking forward to this year's adventure. 4 months and 5 days to go!!

Just checked the thread after a week in Tassie where I have a bit of a property, been burning off and clearing etc etc. Saw the Targa Tasmania go through too, only had to go down the end of the drive

I've lost a lot of my momentum since Condo to be honest. Prior to the twelve hour I was getting up at 4.30 / 5am and jumping on the cross trainer for 30mins before getting off to work. Then in the evening it was an hour and a half of core exercises 5 days a week. Each time I've raced its taken a while to get back into it, on top of that I keep working stupid hours.
On the bright side I've been riding every two weeks and would have been every week if not for being in Tassie. Last ride I pitched myself into the ground though shoulder first, damaged my rotor cuff which is sore as. I'll be out riding again this Sunday though and I was "running" again this morning...slowly getting into it.

The three of us up in Sydney are researching shipping etc along with gear required. (I'm sick of trying to deal with Air road, they are beyond useless)

Flights are booked though, I get into Perth on the 14th from memory.

Dusty are you still shipping bikes or putting them in your truck ? How many can you fit ?

The bike hasn't been worked on. With all the exercise there is no time for Bike building - funny how that happens

I need to get a countdown happening to keep me moving on schedule

That lack of Malle moto thing is a bit of a shame - I'll be trying to adhere to my own set of rules and buy my own trophy !

No bike pics so here's my view in Tassie.

nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:49 AM   #63
Sundowner OP
Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post

That lack of Malle moto thing is a bit of a shame - I'll be trying to adhere to my own set of rules and buy my own trophy !

Somebody stole your seat as well, or is that a method to train riding without sitting down? Bloody magnificent view.
Keep at the training mate. Every bit counts. My favourite saying right now is "Harden the fuck up, Girly Man." It's mainly directed at myself. And Dave as well.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #64
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Just checked the thread after a week in Tassie where I have a bit of a property, been burning off and clearing etc etc. Saw the Targa Tasmania go through too, only had to go down the end of the drive

I've lost a lot of my momentum since Condo to be honest. Prior to the twelve hour I was getting up at 4.30 / 5am and jumping on the cross trainer for 30mins before getting off to work. Then in the evening it was an hour and a half of core exercises 5 days a week. Each time I've raced its taken a while to get back into it, on top of that I keep working stupid hours.
On the bright side I've been riding every two weeks and would have been every week if not for being in Tassie. Last ride I pitched myself into the ground though shoulder first, damaged my rotor cuff which is sore as. I'll be out riding again this Sunday though and I was "running" again this morning...slowly getting into it.

The three of us up in Sydney are researching shipping etc along with gear required. (I'm sick of trying to deal with Air road, they are beyond useless)

Flights are booked though, I get into Perth on the 14th from memory.

Dusty are you still shipping bikes or putting them in your truck ? How many can you fit ?

The bike hasn't been worked on. With all the exercise there is no time for Bike building - funny how that happens

I need to get a countdown happening to keep me moving on schedule

No bike pics so here's my view in Tassie.

Whereabouts is that?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #65
nry

Quote:

Somebody stole your seat as well, or is that a method to train riding without sitting down? Bloody magnificent view.
Keep at the training mate. Every bit counts. My favourite saying right now is "Harden the fuck up, Girly Man." It's mainly directed at myself. And Dave as well.
"Mainly"

And with those words ringing in my ears I turned the cross trainer up to LEVEL 3 !
Old 05-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #66
nry

Mt elephant pass east coast of Tasmania hg. The camera can't capture the view its too big.

The wr mad max edition

Juniors practice area.

One of my million sunrise pictures.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:48 AM   #67
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 459
Quote:

What the hell? I'm hard as a coffin nail. Well, okay, perhaps not. I might as well update everyone on my progress....

Here is the bike. I quite literally haven't touched it since Condo. Not even a wash. It's on the list of activities for this weekend. I made the mistake of looking on Gumtree and managed to buy myself an old (1989) KLR250 for a couple of hundred, so now that's my little winter project. Did I tell you I get distracted easily.

I'm doing a little too much of sitting behind the computer writing Environmental Impact Statements for clients at the moment, but it's all helping swell the Safari fund, so I guess you'd call that preparation. With regards to actual training, it's been a little slow since the ribs broke, but they're almost healed now (well, they no longer hurt too much/often), but I'm still being careful as I've re-broken them at this point in the past, and it'd be back to square one. I've been walking around 12-14km per day, doing some local hikes with a backpack on, and doing some light weights in the evenings, but nothing too special. I reckon the end of May and I'll be jogging and onto the rowing machine again, and will start cycling a bit too. Most of my "fitness" regime is coming from losing weight - I've lost around 15kg since the new year through changing my diet, but have fallen off the wagon a little since Condo. Back into eating properly for the last week and we're heading in the right direction again. Was 110kg at the start of the year, am 95kg now, and aiming for 85-90kg by Safari. We'll see how that goes.

Finally, I saw this the other day and loved it, worth sharing as motivation....

Peace out. Dave.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 AM   #68
Sundowner OP
Bort

Seeing the list of bivouac location towns for this year, I suddenly have a need for a nervous grunty.
What the hell are they planning for us? "Harder, better, faster, longer" - Oh dear. Add that to "the slowest special selective ever seen in the Safari" and I suddenly see visions of an 800km marathon stage on Stage 3, after running the deep, un-ending Murchison River bed on Leg 1 and the Gascoyne Dash course on Leg 2. I also suspect that Onslow won't be the furthest north into the Pilbara we have to go. I get the feeling that lunch in Karratha might be on the cards before we turn south to Exmouth via coastal dunes.
Justin seems like such a nice bloke...it's obvious he's a cruel sadist at heart.
Glad I've chosen the XR. Bring it on....eap!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #69
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
A Trip down Kamikazee Canyon for the maiden voyage for the XR hey Sundowner? An Iconic stage of the 24 hour from back in the XRs era.

With the 200w stator, and the region it was sourced from, that bike may have been down that track in anger in the past when new.
Desert Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #70
Sundowner OP
Bort

So that's the infamous "Kamakazi Canyon"? Well, that'd explain why it looks like the most daunting gully I've ever found on my little excursions. The XR looks fairly stock - the 200w stator is something the previous owner bought but never fitted. Certainly a great bonus. I might dedicate 100 watts of it to a rear facing dust light. Just so the 4wd competitors know what they're smacking into.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #71
nry

That list means nothing to me, no point of reference whatsoever never been to WA.

What is this "pea gravel" ?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #72
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,201
Thumb TSC's 3 step ADV program for pea gravel...

Quote:
That list means nothing to me, no point of reference whatsoever never been to WA.

1. Take your average dry hard pack smooth flowing clay base road (say Newnes/Clarence area for a Sydneysiders reference) pick a corner and toss a 50 kg bucket of 3 to 5mm ball bearings out over it.

2. Approach the corner at 60 to 80 km/h and attempt to corner as per "standard issue" dry hard pack smooth flowing clay base road cornering technique.

3. Remove motorcycle and personage from amongst the scrub and bracken fern undergrowth adjacent to roadway. Review, rewind then repeat... adjust approach velocity as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 AM   #73
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 202
Good point. Any veterans willing to share a few secrets? Looks like a few stages have been run in the past, maybe not precisely in the same way.

cheers hg

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #74
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Ready to book my flight, when should I arrive?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #75
okedoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:

We've ridden on something similar to that crap in Tassie a couple of years ago. It was great fun, like riding on marbles =8-O

I recall going uphill on one fairly wide logging track which wasn't too bad, but it added butt pucker factor on the way back down.
okedoke is offline   Reply With Quote