User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 03:45 AM   #76
nry

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

1. Take your average dry hard pack smooth flowing clay base road (say Newnes/Clarence area for a Sydneysiders reference) pick a corner and toss a 50 kg bucket of 3 to 5mm ball bearings out over it.

2. Approach the corner at 60 to 80 km/h and attempt to corner as per "standard issue" dry hard pack smooth flowing clay base road cornering technique.

3. Remove motorcycle and personage from amongst the scrub and bracken fern undergrowth adjacent to roadway. Review, rewind then repeat... adjust approach velocity as necessary.
Cheers Troy,
Sounds like a doddle especially if you're slow to begin with !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Ready to book my flight, when should I arrive?
A group of us are landing on the 14th in Perth. Scrutineering etc starts on the 17th and safari show on the 19th ? And so on and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okedoke View Post
We've ridden on something similar to that crap in Tassie a couple of years ago. It was great fun, like riding on marbles =8-O

I recall going uphill on one fairly wide logging track which wasn't too bad, but it added butt pucker factor on the way back down.

That was fun ! Can I borrow your bike ?
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #77
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Ready to book my flight, when should I arrive?
A group of us are landing on the 14th in Perth. Scrutineering etc starts on the 17th and safari show on the 19th ? And so on and so forth.
Thx!

Ill try and plan around those dates then. Probably will arrive on the 18th, leave on Monday the 29th.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 AM   #78
Sundowner OP
Bort

Oddometer: 3,499
Attention Team Members!!!
Good news, everybody!

We have a Dietitian associated with the Tour Down Under bicycle race working on a suggested dietary program, to be presented to the Team Chef. Soon we will have a survey happening to see what needs team members have, so as to come up with a suitable menu/range of meals to present for each day on Safari. This means our team will have a definite edge on the competition as far as fueling the fire in the belly goes.
That is all. End message.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:56 AM   #79
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Calves blood, peptides and HGH?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
Desert Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #80
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,164
I can see the whole electrolytes/protien & carbohydrates vs. "bacon & beer" debate topic taking on entirely new and escalated proprtions, here in the "cahns" enclave, in the not too distant future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #81
Sundowner OP
Bort

Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #82
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

I'm sure you will be ever watchfull to make sure the lads keep their fluid levels up of an evening... eh mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #83
Sundowner OP
Bort

The 2014 Pre-Event Guide is now released here. Very pleased to see we'll all be using the Rallysafe system, which includes live "real-time" tracking, SOS function and "Push to Pass" alarm.

Team costings will be emailed soon, based on the information contained in this Guide and our team needs. We need to cover a bivouac to bivouac pantech truck (hire and fuel), Service vehicles costs, Service crew registration and costs, the basic team food costs and a race fuel purchase system. It'll be well below the official Safari package costs, so don't panic.

Additional Team Service Crew members would be welcomed. PM me if you're interested, available and suitably experienced. An extra two service crew would help enormously. Internationals would be very welcome. The pay is non-existant, the hours will be long, sleep deprivation the norm and conditions very basic - it's the ideal holiday to remember for a lifetime!!

Keep Calm
&
Rally On!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #84
Sundowner OP
Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I'm sure you will be ever watchfull to make sure the lads keep their fluid levels up of an evening... eh mate?
Purely medicinal, Troy. As you'd expect of any Australian team. I have a 120 litre esky set aside for the task.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #85
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post

What is this "pea gravel" ?

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #86
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 193
That looks like fun.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #87
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 459
So Dusty and I went for a ride yesterday, taking his XR to the sand for the first time, via the beautiful tarmac of the Adelaide Hills and a few (too few) gravel roads and tracks on the way to Goolwa. I was on my trusty ex-Safari class-winning WRR. Some photos...

A 30km return run down the deep sand of Goolwa Beach (this was not the deep bit, I was too busy to stop to take photos...!)

Not sure what happened here, I arrived late, but pretty sure those marks on the sand weren't there before Dusty arrived...

Dusty being a good boy, eating a Salad.

My meal, carbing up for the return ride...

Dusty inadvertently making his Safari training very authentic.

My WRR, still kicking goals after 17,000kms, including one Safari, one Condo, a trip to Cape York, a half-dozen trips to the Flinders Ranges and an unsupported crossing of the Simpson Desert. If only they made a 450 version

Was a good day all 'round, including the verbal stoush that Dusty had with a driver talking on her phone as she pulled over on him in city traffic. I was a little behind him, but I'm pretty sure I heard the sentence end with ".... I'll stick that f**king phone up your arse"

Peace out.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #88
Sundowner OP
Bort

Attention All Team Members - Please check your PM's and reply a.s.a.p.
That is all...nothing to see here folks...go about your business.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #89
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 459
All "Team Safari ADV" members, and those that may be interested in joining in the fun as either Service Crew or as a competitor in the 2014 Australasian Safari, Team Safari ADV Bulletin 1 is available for your viewing/reading pleasure.

This Bulletin contains an overview of what we're about, what's included, what's not included and has some indicative costings to get your budgets in shape.

Please PM me your email address if you're interested in receiving a copy, and I'll get it sent out to you.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #90
Sundowner OP
Bort

Good stuff Dave. I'll forward a couple to you now.