ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #256
PhilRio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Pissed

I just purchased the new 1190, drove 100 miles got so irritate I put the bike for sell. I'm glad I found this!!! I will try spray the cylinder head and pipes first with ceramic coat, than I will figure out if the Wings are really necessary. (just try to avoid the extra $ after spend all this $) Any pictures from inside the Seat Cooler Wings? can we improve? maybe put a heat shield inside part? tks.

PhilRio screwed with this post 08-15-2014 at 11:22 PM
PhilRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #257
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,406
I completely removed the plastic snorkles and air seems to flow through the engine area much better......or so i think

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #258
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAndy View Post
Hi Folks

I fitted the Wings "Testicools" kit today after reading positive reviews from this thread - thanks Guys.

I thought folks may be interested in the solution I came up with earlier for the hot seat.

This will also stop hot air coming up the gap to the pillion seat which some still complain of with wings solution.

Made it from a car windscreen heat shield. Didn't stop heat on inner thighs but it is very effective in stopping the seat getting hot - which also made it more comfy. I think the heat causes the seat foam to compress too much putting your arse on the hard plastic base.

Cheers

Andrew

Just so you know they sell this stuff by the roll at lowes that has a sticky back. did basically the same thing on my 950, and stuck it on the inside of the tool well underneath; works brilliantly.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #259
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
I'm researching this as a potential owner, looking to buy an 1190 R for 2015. Apologies if this has been covered somewhere, but is anybody solving this with a ECU map change, cat removal, and exhaust setup?
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #260
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
I'm researching this as a potential owner, looking to buy an 1190 R for 2015. Apologies if this has been covered somewhere, but is anybody solving this with a ECU map change, cat removal, and exhaust setup?
My exhaust is coming back from the welder today - will let folks know. One problem is it's temperature dependent - and its cooler here right now.
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #261
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
Just so you know they sell this stuff by the roll at lowes that has a sticky back. did basically the same thing on my 950, and stuck it on the inside of the tool well underneath; works brilliantly.

What's the product called? Can you tell the link to product.

Thanks.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #262
xtremewlr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
What's the product called? Can you tell the link to product.

Thanks.
Peel & Seal 6-in x 25-ft Aluminum Flashing

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...7C1&facetInfo=

I've used a similar product from Home Depot for sound deadening in my daughter's Toyota truck doors and cab and as a heat shield on my current SV1000S to insulate the battery box from exhaust heat. Works very well on both accounts and has remained stuck in place.
xtremewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #263
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Definite improvement with ceramic coating and cat delete. Looks great too. Got the pipe back from the welder yesterday, and took the bike for a ride in shorts (yes I can hear the atgatt folks already).

Not a scientific test yet, but I can already tell it is a noticeable improvement. Cost me less than $200 total. I used hole saws of different sizes to get the cat out, still took time. I used a respirator, and I saved all the pieces and mailed them to a recycler.

After a long ride and the bike fully up to temp - in cooler outdoor temps - I was able to touch the rear shock right after the ride. The headers were obviously burning hot, but the bike radiates less heat.

No or very little difference in sound. Bike runs great.
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #264
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Don't think it's necessary ... CF withstands very high temperatures (used in Gas Turbine impellers) and doesn't radiate the heat much! But if you like to lovingly caress your new heat shields and not get your fingers "warm", it'll help with that :-)
It is not the CF that might fail, as you correctly states. It has a high thermal resistance, but the resin used to bond it. Many polymers NOT needing post heat cure, are good till about 150 deg.F. After then they begin to show stress. Some go all the way to 200 deg. F. But above that, they need to be post heat cured....ie, cured with elevated heat. I have no clue what Wings use, but if you are nervous about the thermal resistance, all you have to do, is to ride the hell out of the bike, and then stop, and see if you lightly can bend the CF piece. If it feels as stiff as prior to riding, then you are good. If it feels more like plastic, then it is stressed. That methods works for all CF layup, except for honeycomb construction.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #265
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
It is not the CF that might fail, as you correctly states. It has a high thermal resistance, but the resin used to bond it. Many polymers NOT needing post heat cure, are good till about 150 deg.F. After then they begin to show stress. Some go all the way to 200 deg. F. But above that, they need to be post heat cured....ie, cured with elevated heat. I have no clue what Wings use, but if you are nervous about the thermal resistance, all you have to do, is to ride the hell out of the bike, and then stop, and see if you lightly can bend the CF piece. If it feels as stiff as prior to riding, then you are good. If it feels more like plastic, then it is stressed. That methods works for all CF layup, except for honeycomb construction.
Wings has been making carbon fiber exhaust end caps for years - I would trust they know what they are doing. Sure looks like it anyway!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #266
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
Wings has been making carbon fiber exhaust end caps for years - I would trust they know what they are doing. Sure looks like it anyway!
I am sure they are. My post was merely intended to offer insight to the poster who wanted to add the heat blanket to the CF layup. I wanted to offer a way for him/her to check the potential stress of the layup. It looks like a fine piece of CF.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #267
spdtrpl
Red Coat MagnoliaTx

Oddometer: 138
I ordered the Wings cooler on Monday and received it in Texas on Friday - Thank you Rod for tremendous service.
That was just in time, as I left for a 2400 mile trip along the Gulf Coast and Smoky Mountains the next day.
Just returned yesterday and got to say these things really work well. I have the Ergo seats on the bike which are thicker than the stock seats and I believe are slightly cooler as a result. I used the stock heat shield under the Ergo seats and also added the glass-fiber reflective cloth that came with the Wings parts. That might be overkill, but the results are a tremendous improvement.

spdtrpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #268
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Bdcw

Looks like someone in BDCW took my advice, or great minds think alike

The entire surface is covered. Honestly, the heat is the #1 concern I had, so this eases my way to get the 2015 R model.

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...re-detail.html
Attached Images

BigMan73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #269
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
Looks like someone in BDCW took my advice, or great minds think alike

The entire surface is covered. Honestly, the heat is the #1 concern I had, so this eases my way to get the 2015 R model.

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...re-detail.html
...at the small expense of making the bike look absolutely awful.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #270
BigMan73
Binary Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
...at the small expense of making the bike look absolutely awful.
First, Function-Over-Form.
Second, the form can be fixed with some texture (e.g. carbon fiber like decal).

Yes, it is fugly. I don't care. My thighs would not be cooked, seems much more important, and they cover that area anyhow.
BigMan73 is online now   Reply With Quote