Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 04:49 AM   #31
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
Never hunted them though (have you?) and I've a heard of 100 cross a 2 lane highway at 6pm. One week ago. Your point?
My point was that "you have to watch for them more at dawn and dusk" is incorrect, they move at all times of the day in unpredictable patterns unless you have intimate knowledge of the area to figure the pattern out.

If there are woods or open fields next to the road, watch for the forest rats with the same vigilance regardless of the time of day.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #32
froger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I used to work nights, with a eight mile trip through forest land. A coworker cruised home, and saw critters all the time. I was fast, and it made a lot of noise. They could hear me coming, and rarely did I see a road rat. I think when someone's just putting along, they dont clear out the same way.
Not saying you should grit your teeth and go. Just be aware that your not spooking them, and more of the dummy's will be standing around being dumb when you get there. It's what they do.
When you do see one, slowing down might help, but it can also encourage them to try and get in front of you. Got one with a SUV doing that.
Luckly, they dont allways run. I have noticed when they do freak, they usually run the same direction they were pointed at when they lost it. If that's in front of you and your bike, well too bad.

froger screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 10:12 AM
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #33
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Get a BMW GS Adventure. I swear, every time I see them on the side of the road, they look up at my bike and run away. My guess is that it is because the bike is so ugly that they want to be as far away as possible. I'm sure it isn't because every time I see one, I slow down and look at them... couldn't be that, right? LOL
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #34
Tubaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Golden Rule - if one crosses your path there is at least two to three behind it!
Slow Down or hit them....
Tubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #35
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I Love riding at night !!

1984 had a nice big buck jump over my front tire at 85mph (me not him), so close.

Since then, have as much light as my alternator will handle, have had deer whistles on every bike I have owned..... and have never come close to a deer since then... Luck ? Maybe .... but I have never shy'd away from darkness. And... I usually speed up an night.

Maybe just blind dumb luck

Came close to hitting a bear at Glacier National Park a couple of years go, coming around a corner and he was camped in my lane. It was around noon, he looked hungry

my 2
navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #36
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Lots of replies here, but in the end nothing really solves the problem.

I've just come to the conclusion that deer suck. They are like motorcycle snipers. They come out of nowhere and fuck up your whole day.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #37
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post
1984 had a nice big buck jump over my front tire at 85mph (me not him), so close.

Since then, have as much light as my alternator will handle, have had deer whistles on every bike I have owned..... and have never come close to a deer since then... Luck ? Maybe .... but I have never shy'd away from darkness. And... I usually speed up an night.

Maybe just blind dumb luck

Came close to hitting a bear at Glacier National Park a couple of years go, coming around a corner and he was camped in my lane. It was around noon, he looked hungry

my 2
This past Sunday (27 April) while riding up into the mountains (two lanes for up hill with one lane down hill). As I was approaching a 180 switch back, an on-coming car, rounding the switch back, stopped for no apparent reason. I slowed a little more and as I rounded the curve, there was a black bear in the right half of the right lane (my lane). I switched to the left lane and passed within about 10 feet of the bear.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #38
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Last year a mule deer (much bigger than the little guys in the east) jump on me knocking me unconscious. It was in the outskirts of town in the middle of the afternoon doing about 50 MPH. I saw the first two deer who decided not to cross. The one that hit me jumped from behind them and landed right in front of me. I do not know how he hit me. All I know is that I ended up lying on the road unconscious and I woke up with another rider looking at me and asking me not to move. EMT's showed up, strapped me to a board, and gave me a ride in an ambulance to the hospital. The gear did its job I only got a scratch in one arm and walked away the same day from the hospital.

Witnesses said the deer took a ride for about 50' on my handlebars before I went down. I do not know, I was unconscious by then. The deer must have hit me in the face since my helmet breathing port had a big clump of hair sticking out and my jacket was covered in deer hair. They said the deer just jumped and ran away.

Final tally was a $3K medical bill, $600 in gear trashed, a $1K tow fee (I was over 200 from the nearest service facility), and a brand new Tiger Explorer totaled.

The insurance claim was well over $21K.

Although I like venison, hunting deer was never appealing to me, until then. Now I just want to see as many of them shot and eaten.

Lesson learned. See or think deer, slow down. See deer by the side of the road STOP! and let them be.

This clip is very appropriate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln1ucGoPvWk
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #39
mudcrutch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I've been hunting them for 38 years. I'm certain it has made a difference. I've spent so much time pursuing them, patterning them and eating them too. An instinct kicks in. They can be anywhere, that's very accurate. The lay of the land, creek beds that go under the road, switch backs, ridges, long stretches where there is forest one side of the road, yummy clover or crop laden fields on the other, saddles... these are all hot spots of deer activity. The more time you've spent "looking" for them, the easier it becomes to see them. That golden time period, an hour each side of sunrise and sunset, these are peak activity times. Your speed, lighting, how alert and anticipatory you are... These are all critical factors. Always be aware, they are there so you must anticipate them. Of course, grenades, sawed off shotguns and flame throwers can help too.
mudcrutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #40
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch View Post
I've been hunting them for 38 years. I'm certain it has made a difference. I've spent so much time pursuing them, patterning them and eating them too. An instinct kicks in. They can be anywhere, that's very accurate. The lay of the land, creek beds that go under the road, switch backs, ridges, long stretches where there is forest one side of the road, yummy clover or crop laden fields on the other, saddles... these are all hot spots of deer activity. The more time you've spent "looking" for them, the easier it becomes to see them. That golden time period, an hour each side of sunrise and sunset, these are peak activity times. Your speed, lighting, how alert and anticipatory you are... These are all critical factors. Always be aware, they are there so you must anticipate them. Of course, grenades, sawed off shotguns and flame throwers can help too.
So many here....there must have been 50+ in the field just a few days ago. Perfect place to fantasize, some fast electric motorcycle and a mounted machine gun.

And then the elks...herd is getting pretty big, must have been 25-30 just down the road a few weeks ago. And for my first time ever last week I saw the "Rocky mountain Caribous", must have been 12 on the road licking salt. Unconcerned by me for sure and I got pretty close, stopped took pics and then took quite a few honks to get them to clear the road.

Mountain goats....12-15 in a twisty. I was behaving so no need to hit the brakes and they sure are fast at clearing the road. Fun to watch climbing them steep banks.

Bears on the road....not rare here. Only had to take evasive actions twice but that was the other drivers fault. First one I could see the bear running across the field toward the road. Stoopid incoming driver with the fifth wheel RV should have noticed, he waited too long to brake and then had to slam them, I tought for sure that he would be pushing that bear in my lane BUT I had already slowed down.

And the stoopid Yhippy with the old Toyota SW/bicycles on the back blocking the brake lights. Idiot didn't even see the bear climbing down the cliff until that bear was 3 feet from his bumper. I tought for sure we'd be pulling a dead bear away from that sharp corner or from under the Toyota, but missed by inches. And again I had already braked and backed off well before he saw that bear.

H96669 screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 10:18 AM
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #41
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 189
I had to ride during major feed time last night through a section of N. Carolina that is a deer-strike target rich environment. i.e. dense woods with well groomed DOT supplied grassy areas adjacent to the road.
I had my deer radar on "11"!

Spotted some early on and slowed. But, there wasn't much of a moon last night and as it got darker, I couldn't see much more than the road in front of me. As a result, I had a close call with a small herd only about 6 feet from the road. Never saw them until they were that close. I think the airlines call this a near-miss...I was going 60 on a road marked for 65. I was passed by another biker doing at least 85. I hope that guys luck stays w/ him...

Aux lights are on order... That's really going to piss off on-coming cagers... But, I see no other options.

Last night, I decided I would use 'rabbit' vehicles for the rest of the ride home. (Still had 3 hours to go.) By, rabbit, I mean I follow a car at a safe distance. (50 to 100 meters.) Then, use the car's lights to help me see the sides of the roads, where the little bastards hang out.

Is this method advisable?

I know cagers don't like having motorcycles behind them. So, I had to keep finding new rabbit vehicles to follow home. Our lights are annoying to drivers.(Especially, the twin Vstrom lighting with suspension that makes the lights fluctuate and bounce with every small bump in the road.) I had a couple cars actually pull over to let me pass. Which, kinda threw a wrench in my plan. But, it seem to work using residual light from a car in front of me.

What do you think???
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #42
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Dealing with deer

I've hit seven, three of them while riding bikes. It's a lottery - best bet is to know the odds well. All my strikes were in during fall rut season, and dusk, dawn, and night time, as predicted by the below (about the same across most states). Note that highest strike count @ dusk and dawn has as much to do with the # of cars traveling; ie, it's bad all the way through the night.

Try to stay away from the good backroads when the sun isn't high in the sun, and during the fall rut season. Safest time to ride is winter (w/foliage down you can see them) and on windy days (they stay in hiding).

I have bow hunters coming on my property now.... they've taken 8-9 in the last two seasons .
Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #43
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,695
Looks like the solution is to move to Hawaii.

....actually, that would solve a lot of problems for me. Like not being able to ride much in the winter, and not having many interesting places to ride locally. And not being in Hawaii.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #44
SGBoy
New Guy

Oddometer: 40
Hunt more to reduce their numbers and then ride like hell.
SGBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #45
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96R1100GS View Post
I livein rural Virginia and have just gotten back into motorcycling. I have hit two deer with my car and am worried about hitting one on the bike. The only solution I can come up with is to slow WAY down when on a back road where deer may be lurking. I do kill and eat them too. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
you will feel them a lot more when you hit them with your bike.