Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #46
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN3Sport View Post
I had to ride during major feed time last night through a section of N. Carolina that is a deer-strike target rich environment. i.e. dense woods with well groomed DOT supplied grassy areas adjacent to the road.
I had my deer radar on "11"!

Spotted some early on and slowed. But, there wasn't much of a moon last night and as it got darker, I couldn't see much more than the road in front of me. As a result, I had a close call with a small herd only about 6 feet from the road. Never saw them until they were that close. I think the airlines call this a near-miss...I was going 60 on a road marked for 65. I was passed by another biker doing at least 85. I hope that guys luck stays w/ him...

Aux lights are on order... That's really going to piss off on-coming cagers... But, I see no other options.

Last night, I decided I would use 'rabbit' vehicles for the rest of the ride home. (Still had 3 hours to go.) By, rabbit, I mean I follow a car at a safe distance. (50 to 100 meters.) Then, use the car's lights to help me see the sides of the roads, where the little bastards hang out.

Is this method advisable?

I know cagers don't like having motorcycles behind them. So, I had to keep finding new rabbit vehicles to follow home. Our lights are annoying to drivers.(Especially, the twin Vstrom lighting with suspension that makes the lights fluctuate and bounce with every small bump in the road.) I had a couple cars actually pull over to let me pass. Which, kinda threw a wrench in my plan. But, it seem to work using residual light from a car in front of me.

What do you think???
MSF coaches recommend it. I used to do it all the time when I was riding my Versys. In the TEX the lights are so good that I dont have the need for it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #47
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN3Sport View Post

Last night, I decided I would use 'rabbit' vehicles for the rest of the ride home. (Still had 3 hours to go.) By, rabbit, I mean I follow a car at a safe distance. (50 to 100 meters.) Then, use the car's lights to help me see the sides of the roads, where the little bastards hang out.

Is this method advisable?

I know cagers don't like having motorcycles behind them. So, I had to keep finding new rabbit vehicles to follow home. Our lights are annoying to drivers.(Especially, the twin Vstrom lighting with suspension that makes the lights fluctuate and bounce with every small bump in the road.) I had a couple cars actually pull over to let me pass. Which, kinda threw a wrench in my plan. But, it seem to work using residual light from a car in front of me.

What do you think???

I do this too sometimes when I miscalculate and get caught out after dark.

Yes the Wee-Strom headlights bother a lot of cars. I always find a lifted pickup (easy to do around here) The newer ones tend to have very good lights and shine a long way, I get close enough to use their lights but not too close of course. They will never know you are back there, plus they tend to go slower than cars in the twisties.

I have tried it behind cars, but they keep speeding up to try and get away from my lights, next thing you know we are running thru the twisties at 70 mph in the dark. Not good at all
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #48
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,441
I don't like the pace car method. Them driving by a deer and they are so unpredictable they may even jump in between you and the pace car.And if the pace car hits one...where is it going to land??? In front of you just maybe???

I had to come back home at deer time yesterday evening. I sure used the brakes twice to slow down to a safe speed/less than 30 Mph when scanning for them on the highway.

And even dead....they sure can be a hazard,squashed roadkill is sure greasy and slippery. And so is manure....I scan for all that. And makes your bike stink when you ride over some of that. Glad I noticed the big red/green deer splatter last year as I was getting ready to pass. Would have hit that at 90 or so under acceleration.

Long day yesterday and tired but I sure remembered to scan for deer as I turned up our gravel road. And one of them still surprised me, I hadn't seen it in the bushes. 10 feet away.....glad I was only doing 20mph if that.

Bear no 4 in an hour yesterday....right in a blind and tight gravel corner. I don't know which one of us reacted the fastest, me swerving that big pig of a road bike on loose gravel or him scampering up the steep gravel cliff.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #49
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
I'm not convinced that following close behind a car is any safer when it comes to deer. I have seen many deer strikes by cars where the deer hit the back door or rear fender of a car. I've also seen a number of near misses where the deer passed immediately behind a car. Deer are not timing their crossing in order to meet the headlights. They are just being deer when a car happens to be passing by. They are just as likely to hit you whether you are following immediately behind a car or farther back.

In fact, if you are farther back and the deer strikes the rear quarter panel of a car, you will have more time to react to avoid the carnage. You also get the advantage of seeing farther ahead of you with the headlights of the car in front of you. You also will not rear end the car when it slams on the brakes if it does hit one square in the front.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #50
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Well that's it in a nutshell, I don't follow that close, but I am close enough to take advantage of the truck headlights in front of me which are much better than mine, and still use all of my light, Wee-Strom lights aren't that bad either by the way. I just want to see as far as I can.

Your right in a sense that WHEN they dart into the road is pure random chance! No timing or thought whasoever by the deer.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:22 AM   #51
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Just a reminder to everyone to watch out for deer, even in the daytime. You never know when a farmer, dog, hiker, hunter, or other thing will spook a deer into moving.

I came the closest I've ever came to hitting a deer on a motorcycle today. It was daytime and I was the only person on the road so I let my guard down for dangers. Thankfully, I caught the movement out of the corner of my eye just soon enough to brake to avoid it. It was a good lesson to me to keep scanning all of the time.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #52
RoadRdr
Mostly Pavement

Oddometer: 170
I like riding at night, but I try not to do it because the risk of a deer encounter just seems too high. I've come across plenty in daylight in areas where it wouldn't seem like they would be crossing the road so my night phobia is kind of misplaced. But still there.

One of the craziest deer strikes I witnessed was midday on the NJ turnpike and the deer crossed the southbound multliple lanes, leaped the center barrier, and landed on the windshield of the northbound car in the left lane in front of the car I was riding in. It was so random and unexpected I stuck in my mind just how unpredictable deer are.

If the situation is right I will use the headlights of a car or truck in front of me but try to balance the benefit of their lights with keeping enough following distance to react if the need arises.

I plan to upgrade the stock GSA auxiliary halogen lights primarily because of deer but I'm still evaluating which units are a good Canbus friendly LED setup.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:31 AM   #53
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
I do one or two 50 mile night rides each month.
Being near a car helps a little for piece of mind, but I don't know that it's the best defense against the deer. The two I've hit in my car got between me and the car in front of me.

I think it may be more effective to have a car following, you get a good, wide circle of illumination from the car's lights, then your own high beams and whatever auxiliaries you may have to extend the reach.

Deer must be the stupidest animals on earth though, squirrels display more "road sense" than most deer I've seen.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 AM   #54
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Tagged another deer on Saturday - at 1pm. I got it slowed pretty good and it just clipped my front wheel. I stabbed the ground with my foot and kept it upright. Phil - 2, Deer - 0.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #55
packerbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Fyyfd
Old 05-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #56
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
Take up hunting. I find it greatly increases your chances of never seeing a deer again. At best, you end up with some tasty meat in the freezer. One less that you have to worry about hitting. And some payback if his brother took you out on the bike.
IdahoRenegade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #57
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,134
Bright lights...

Had my deer strike just after installing a set of PIAAs. Last thing in my memory (I sustained 20-minute blackout) is the deer "brightly lit up."

I've taken Nick Ienatsch's solution to avoiding left-turners: DON'T BE THERE!

I no longer ride after dark. Certainly not a guarantee, but...

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #58
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Take up hunting. I find it greatly increases your chances of never seeing a deer again. At best, you end up with some tasty meat in the freezer. One less that you have to worry about hitting. And some payback if his brother took you out on the bike.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #59
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
They should really open Elk hunting here the herd is getting big and they are much better eating than deer.

They made me slow down to an appropriate speed for the conditions twice yesterday. Deer....I stopped counting a long time ago and how many times did I brake for deer yesterday? I don't even remember I must be getting old.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #60
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,240
Great.

My state (NH) is a low percentage possibility of a deer strike.

But we have- along with some other lucky states- moose.

I do not ride in the dark. The ONLY solution.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote