Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #61
fairweatherider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Ok so how about reaction? Is it always best to full on panic stop in a straight line? If collision seems imminent with a moving animal should you just brace for impact and keep the throttle where it is in hopes of keeping your suspension/tires loaded evenly? If the deer is standing still in the middle of the road/your line how much traction should you spend on reducing speed and how much on swerving?
fairweatherider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #62
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherider View Post
Ok so how about reaction? Is it always best to full on panic stop in a straight line? If collision seems imminent with a moving animal should you just brace for impact and keep the throttle where it is in hopes of keeping your suspension/tires loaded evenly? If the deer is standing still in the middle of the road/your line how much traction should you spend on reducing speed and how much on swerving?
I aim for the spot they are standing in that exact second and brake with everything I have, odds are that they will not still be occupying that spot by the time you get there. Watch for followers also, they travel in groups and you will rarely see only one and you don't know if the one you saw was the first or the last.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #63
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherider View Post

Don't think there's any best way to deal with deer and certainly no "always" best way. Read a great post from someone that effectively said, "saw the deer running out of the woods at me, did some weird mathematical calculation in my head, and decided it would be better to nail the throttle - deer crossed 2 feet behind me."

I personally believe it's best not to think/pre-plan what you should do, and instead, just trust your pure instincts and natural reaction when the time comes. Planning might predispose you to a certain, and potentially dangerous, action when your mind goes into panic mode.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #64
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I personally believe it's best not to think/pre-plan what you should do, and instead, just trust your pure instincts and natural reaction when the time comes. Planning might predispose you to a certain, and potentially dangerous, action when your mind goes into panic mode.
And trying to "think like the deer", or "be the deer", not to the extent of its life experiences of eating shrubbery and leaving dung pellets in the garden, of course?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #65
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth650 View Post
And trying to "think like the deer", or "be the deer", not to the extent of its life experiences of eating shrubbery and leaving dung pellets in the garden, of course?

That's ok actually... as in, "Hmmmmm, it's kinda windy today - can't smell anything, can't hear anything, and everything is moving around.... think I better just bed down and hide."

OK... safe day for riding ;)
Old 06-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #66
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
That's ok actually... as in, "Hmmmmm, it's kinda windy today - can't smell anything, can't hear anything, and everything is moving around.... think I better just bed down and hide."

OK... safe day for riding ;)
In fall, "I smell doe goo, so I'll jump into this noisy, empty place to smell it better".
Old 06-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #67
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Best ADV deer strike

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=31
Old 06-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #68
Vtgrn
n00b

Oddometer: 1
just nature

deer are to motorcycles as tornados are to trailer parks...
Vtgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #69
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth650 View Post
While I'm no rocket scientist, I doubt I can think as stupid as deer do.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #70
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
I thought headlights scare them and cause them to freak out. I turn mine off and they just sit there and keep eating.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #71
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,044
Actually, that "deer in the headlights" effect is because their eyes (rods & cones,etc) are made to see very well in twilight-direct,bright light results in them freezing in place. They are, in effect, temporarily blinded.

This, along with safety concerns, is why "deer lighting" or "jacking" is illegal.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #72
Rhombic
Typical KLR *****

Oddometer: 183
horn

Because of my work hours and my 25 mile commute through farm land I often find myself riding at prime deer strike periods. I ride slower and when I see deer close enough to the road that they might become an issue I get on the horn, a Stebil Nautilus and stay on it until they depart, usually pretty quickly. I suppose I could spook one into coming toward me but it hasn't happened yet. I'm also shopping for new auxiliary lights. When I put them on my KLR they made a big difference; there were lots of eyes at the side of the road that I never noticed before. Most were raccoons and skunks but hitting a big raccoon or a skunk at 50 miles an hour probably wouldn't be much fun.

No longer talk at all about what a good man ought to be; be such.

Marcus Aurelius
Rhombic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #73
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
While I'm no rocket scientist, I doubt I can think as stupid as deer do.
Umm U will take notice that an animals smartness is somewhat related the size of their skulls. Deer small heads. Or as I like to call em, Forest Rats.

While I know each animal is part of the food chain, I could do without these idiots
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #74
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Actually, that "deer in the headlights" effect is because their eyes (rods & cones,etc) are made to see very well in twilight-direct,bright light results in them freezing in place. They are, in effect, temporarily blinded.

This, along with safety concerns, is why "deer lighting" or "jacking" is illegal.
Well then they must not mind running blind, otherwise there would be no deer strikes, just target practice.

The light frightens them and increases the chances of them doing something stupid, right?
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #75
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,333
Deer should be taught to stay on their side of the road. Is there no education in the forest for these young deer? Why do they run in front of me all the time out in the woods while I'm on my TW? Are they playing a game? I'm usually only going 35-40 and they have to jump across the road 10 feet in front of me. Stay on your side of the road you little bastards! I'm getting tired of having to use the Flintstone brakes because the emergency stopping power on the TW is not like my GS and it doesn't have ABS either.
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote