ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,382
Ireland: Driving on Right and Left?

So I was watching a Netflix DVD last night called In Search of Ancient Ireland. (pretty good 3 hour show, BTW). As they drove around Ireland to the various historical sights, I noticed that most of the time they drove on the left, but sometimes they drove on the right.

I looked it up on Google, and found some discussion about how Ireland began switching to right hand traffic on some urban roads in 2012 to encourage tourism.

The show was made back in 2002, and doesn't differentiate between Ireland and Northern Ireland, because it is about history of the island in general.

What is the real story? Left or right?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Famous
Goin down hill fast
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Ireland
Oddometer: 212
Yep & begorra & shur dont we have wee leprachauns at the bottom of the rainbow with pots of gold
__________________
And miles to go before I sleep
Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,382
I should have checked the dates of those articles. Probably April 1. (April Fool's Day)

Still, why would they be driving on the right in that documentary? Film reversed maybe? There was clearly a yellow line down the middle, so it wasn't a divided road. City buses and everything.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Famous
Goin down hill fast
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Ireland
Oddometer: 212
Havent seen that film

I must have a look

No we drive on tbe left due to the fact that we were conquered for 800 years by our next door neighbours

Shur why dont you come over sometime and have a look for yourself

We do use both sides of the road (and sometimes the ditches) during the roadracing which I suggest is worth a look while you are here
__________________
And miles to go before I sleep
Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous View Post
Havent seen that film

I must have a look

No we drive on tbe left due to the fact that we were conquered for 800 years by our next door neighbours

Shur why dont you come over sometime and have a look for yourself

We do use both sides of the road (and sometimes the ditches) during the roadracing which I suggest is worth a look while you are here

Actually, that is why I'm asking. I will be coming over for the 2015 IOM TT, followed by a few weeks of aimless wandering around Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales. We'll be on bikes/foot for the race, then renting the cheapest car we can find for the remainder. I don't want to get run over by a lorrie.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
wheatwhacker
It's raining here
 
wheatwhacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Cork, Ireland
Oddometer: 2,865
Whatever you rent/buy, get a sticker at eye level saying "keep on left"
__________________
European bike sales and storage.
https://www.facebook.com/motofeirme
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer
 
ts3doug's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 718
Until you're on one of the right drive roads, then put a piece of duct tape over it.
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
BSW
Adventurer
 
BSW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Munster Ireland
Oddometer: 76
Depends on how many pints we have consumed as to which side of the road we ride on here in rural Ireland
BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSW View Post
Depends on how many pints we have consumed as to which side of the road we ride on here in rural Ireland
Now that actually makes sense.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
Meter Man
Living on a prayer
 
Meter Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 7,237
If it is a highway with more than 1 lane going each direction it may appear they are traveling on the right as you have more than one lane.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
High Country Herb OP
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
If it is a highway with more than 1 lane going each direction it may appear they are traveling on the right as you have more than one lane.
In the show, they were driving on the right in a city. There was a double yellow center line, and an oncoming city bus passed on their left.

The only thing I can figure is that they were following one of the archaeologists as they left a foreign country on their way to Ireland. There was a lot of discussion about Vikings and Romans, so it could have been linked to that.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Johncleary86
Adventurer
 
Johncleary86's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: The house
Oddometer: 14
Never heard of anywhere here changing it about although it's possible they where in a one way system and the bus was coming down a bus lane or something.
Johncleary86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Super Suz
N00b with B00b
 
Super Suz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: alrededor de la bahía
Oddometer: 1,556
Really?

Are you serious?

See ya soon,
Suz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Whatever you rent/buy, get a sticker at eye level saying "keep on left"
__________________
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
mattmus4357
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Fayetteville, AR, USA, North America, Earth
Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Actually, that is why I'm asking. I will be coming over for the 2015 IOM TT, followed by a few weeks of aimless wandering around Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales. We'll be on bikes/foot for the race, then renting the cheapest car we can find for the remainder. I don't want to get run over by a lorrie.
Just started researching Ireland as I'm planning on doing the same thing! I want to do Ireland for 4-5 days, hit up the IOMTT and then head over to England for a few days. I was planning on renting a bike, but it looks like I'll be sticking to a cheap rental car. Maybe we can get a group of ADVriders together while we're there for a few drinks
__________________
'07 Yamaha TW200
'08 Kawasaki Versys
mattmus4357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
wheatwhacker
It's raining here
 
wheatwhacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Cork, Ireland
Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmus4357 View Post
Just started researching Ireland as I'm planning on doing the same thing! I want to do Ireland for 4-5 days, hit up the IOMTT and then head over to England for a few days. I was planning on renting a bike, but it looks like I'll be sticking to a cheap rental car. Maybe we can get a group of ADVriders together while we're there for a few drinks
Call to my place.
We have people here all the time.
__________________
European bike sales and storage.
https://www.facebook.com/motofeirme
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014