Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #91
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Ahh yes. The drop off straight down to Opua Bay.

Have you or can you get us access right to either ends? If so there would be a choccy fish in it for ya.
Which is the bay with the big new house & golf course - Oyster Bay? I'm scouring the topo maps trying to find the bit where the northern ridge road drops down a bit too steeply for me on a solo ride to chance. I know it was along from the private road down to his place.

So all of a sudden Bloody Blenheim of all places becomes the mecca of adv riding - I never thought I'd see the day
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #92
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
So all of a sudden Bloody Blenheim of all places becomes the mecca of adv riding - I never thought I'd see the day
Hahaha I know aye, I was that used to riding on my own all the time and now there's a good bunch over here and it's growing all the time!
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:11 AM   #93
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

So, weather is looking average tomorrow with morning rain and high winds but I'm still keen for a ride.

Anyone else keen to still do Port Underwood?
How about a meet at the Picton Shell at 10am and we'll do the ridge track down to Whanagakoko Bay and head around to Tumbledown Bay.
Then backtrack out to Oyster Bay and follow the coast back around Rarangi and Blenheim.

How about it lads?
Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 AM   #94
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
So, weather is looking average tomorrow with morning rain and high winds but I'm still keen for a ride.

Anyone else keen to still do Port Underwood?
How about a meet at the Picton Shell at 10am and we'll do the ridge track down to Whanagakoko Bay and head around to Tumbledown Bay.
Then backtrack out to Oyster Bay and follow the coast back around Rarangi and Blenheim.

How about it lads?
Depends how I feel tomorrow morning. I am pretty tired at the moment. Otherwise I am keen.
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 AM   #95
Bucky78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Ahh yes. The drop off straight down to Opua Bay.

Have you or can you get us access right to either ends? If so there would be a choccy fish in it for ya.
Which is the bay with the big new house & golf course - Oyster Bay? I'm scouring the topo maps trying to find the bit where the northern ridge road drops down a bit too steeply for me on a solo ride to chance. I know it was along from the private road down to his place.

Hi all sorry for the late reply (have been flat out with work), I will see what I can do about access to that area Padmei and set up a ride .have fun on the ride tomorrow guys .
Bucky78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #96
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Well Koko wasn't feeling up to it, Bucky's working, Taz is in Aus and so I went down the Shell just in case anyone did show up.

Nope so I fuelled up and went anyway, just cutting out the bit from Oyster Bay to Blenheim, instead returning straight home.
It was average weather, not much wind and rain really but enough to soak me.
However it sure was fun on those muddy roads, there were some looooooong rear end slides

Also I went for a drive up the Leatham Valley on Thursday as a mate was over from Aussie for a few days.
Well the hunting was shit with nothing at all seen, not even a hare:

The rivers were at a medium flow however they were still at least 33" deep, maybe a little too deep for the bikes at the moment as that's higher than the seat on the XT225
(And this wasn't the deepest crossing)
Old 05-24-2014, 03:05 AM   #97
Padmei
enamoured

That Leatham looks like bloody good country. I must get in there for a looksie.

Glad you got a snorkel on the lux, a builder mate drove his one into a river a bit tooo deep & bent a conrod. Aparently the Hilux' have quite a low air intake. Funnily enough a couple of months later I was at a customers who had a bent conrod on his mantle piece - same thing had happened, except his was off a brand new DOC truck on its maiden voyage
Old 05-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #98
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Yea mate, it's a rugged country up in there.
The first hut (Caves Hut) is easy to get to with a standard 4x4 with street oriented tires as you don't cross the main river at all, I went up to there first years ago with the family for a few days.
The first Leatham River crossing is only a short distance before the 2nd hut (Barber Hut) but this first crossing, while not the deepest it is the roughest by far with some sizeable boulders.

The snorkel was the first thing that went on the truck when I got it, cheap insurance for under $300 as the original intake is behind the left headlight.
Then I lifted it 2 1/2" and went up a few inches in tire size, it now stands about 5" taller than standard and goes like a champ.

Last time I was coming out of the Leatham, river levels had risen and the top crossing was up onto the bonnet.
I wasn't keen to do it again for a photo as the current was fast and I almost needed to stop and wash my undies
Old 05-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #99
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
That Leatham looks like bloody good country. I must get in there for a looksie.

Glad you got a snorkel on the lux, a builder mate drove his one into a river a bit tooo deep & bent a conrod. Aparently the Hilux' have quite a low air intake. Funnily enough a couple of months later I was at a customers who had a bent conrod on his mantle piece - same thing had happened, except his was off a brand new DOC truck on its maiden voyage
Back when I used to get my hands dirty, Hilux motors with bent conrods was commonplace. Best i saw was three bent. Funniest was a guy who drove through a creek and hydrauliced his motor, bending 2 rods. After I rebuilt it he took it for its first drive through the same creek and done it again. Cha ching.
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #100
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Yea mate, it's a rugged country up in there.
The first hut (Caves Hut) is easy to get to with a standard 4x4 with street oriented tires as you don't cross the main river at all, I went up to there first years ago with the family for a few days.
The first Leatham River crossing is only a short distance before the 2nd hut (Barber Hut) but this first crossing, while not the deepest it is the roughest by far with some sizeable boulders.

The snorkel was the first thing that went on the truck when I got it, cheap insurance for under $300 as the original intake is behind the left headlight.
Then I lifted it 2 1/2" and went up a few inches in tire size, it now stands about 5" taller than standard and goes like a champ.

Last time I was coming out of the Leatham, river levels had risen and the top crossing was up onto the bonnet.
I wasn't keen to do it again for a photo as the current was fast and I almost needed to stop and wash my undies

I am keen to come along next time you go in there. I am happy to drive, but not going through any deep rivers in my city hilux. I haven been shooting any furry animals in a long time and I need an excuse to buy a small freezer.

Having said that, once the river levels drop, is it possible to ride up there with a water-shy boxer?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #101
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I am keen to come along next time you go in there. I am happy to drive, but not going through any deep rivers in my city hilux. I haven been shooting any furry animals in a long time and I need an excuse to buy a small freezer.

Having said that, once the river levels drop, is it possible to ride up there with a water-shy boxer?
Maybe in a few weeks we could do a weekend 4x4 trip up there for a day or overnight when the water levels are down as a recon trip for the bikes?
http://hydro.marlborough.govt.nz/rep...iverreport.htm
Checking that out it appears it was at a peak when we were up there and it has dropped 300mm since then.

Apart from the 3 river crossings the track is comparable to the smooth hard pack quality of Mt Patriarch.

I haven't been out to the Boulder Hut which is one of the side valleys, that looks like another good drive/ride without the main river crossings.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #102
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Maybe in a few weeks we could do a weekend 4x4 trip up there for a day or overnight when the water levels are down as a recon trip for the bikes?
Checking that out it appears it was at a peak when we were up there and it has dropped 300mm since then.

Apart from the 3 river crossings the track is comparable to the smooth hard pack quality of Mt Patriarch.

I haven't been out to the Boulder Hut which is one of the side valleys, that looks like another good drive/ride without the main river crossings.
Now cut that out. I bought the Bighorn for work only - I don't need you guys tempting me to take it offroad & break something.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #103
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:

Sounds good, adventure driving works for me as well, especially in winter.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #104
kiwibul
Staffy

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Sounds good, adventure driving works for me as well, especially in winter.
sweet, i could bring the wives vitara up, she keeps telling me it needs a good wash
i'm heading down to Reefton on friday, doing the ghost road on the mountainbike on saturday and taking the dr up big river on sunday with my sons on their ktm's if anyone is down that way let me know, the more the merrier.
kiwibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #105
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibul View Post
sweet, i could bring the wives vitara up, she keeps telling me it needs a good wash
i'm heading down to Reefton on friday, doing the ghost road on the mountainbike on saturday and taking the dr up big river on sunday with my sons on their ktm's if anyone is down that way let me know, the more the merrier.
Let us know what Ghost road is like. I think it's faired the storms pretty well. I want to get a bike rack fitted to the moto & ride down to do it.