Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Marta,

I rang my insurance company before the trip and asked them if it was covered and was told it was, stupidly I never read the document. Turkish customs did

If you have recovery insurance read the small print very carefully, if anything goes wrong east of Austria you are pretty much on your own, fortunately the Romanian and Bulgarians are good people and "no problem" really does mean no problem. You just may find your bike on a medieval cart being towed by a donkey with a few glasses of fiery plumb brandy inside you

I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Promise I'll carefully check before leaving!!!
You made me smile with the description of my motorbike being towed by a donkey ;) Better this than having to push it!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer View Post
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...ce_Card_System
All clearly explained here. Search is your only friend.
BTW, covered members of green card written on the papers as well.
I can PM you campspots to see on your device as well if a need be.
the venturer, if PMing the campspots is not too much effort, it would be appreciated!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagi View Post
Hi Marta
be prepared for tons of fun :) well the very first thing to say is that you definitely won't be able to make it to the far east and back in 2 weeks. even with more km per day, you'll want to stop by every village, every waterfall, every plain with beautiful landscape view so take that idea out of your mind :)
since you are not planning to visit major cities and the south west, you'll either ride through north on the blacksea region or middle anatolia (which seems more likely since you are riding for cappadocia). black sea region will absolutely be rainy so be prepared if you chose that way. on the other hand you'll fall in love with the landscape.blacksea on onw side, forests & mountains on the other. middle part of anatolia is more plain when compared to north or south. there won't be any issue finding a safe camp spot which are plenty. you might want to check Steph's blog or even contact her https://www.facebook.com/OneWomanOneMotorbikeOneWorld to get more solid info on whatever you need and make your (or your family's) doubts go away. Steph is on a solo journey around the world and we met her here in Istanbul a few weeks ago. as for the, syrian border stuff, kurdsih concerns etc., well you'll be far away from all those if you stay away from east & south east border regions. the only issue might be the anniversary of May 31st the Gezi Protests which you'll also be away by staying out of Istanbul. apart from that you'll have a trip of a lifetime.
have fun.
Kagi, thanks for the reality check about getting to the far east ... Yes, I'm afraid we'll have to forget about getting there with the limited time we have (because we really want to enjoy every kilometer we do!).

Thanks for the tip about rainy Black Sea. As you've already guessed, we were planning to go through middle Anatolia. And I'm reaffirming on this decision now that I know Black Sea will very likely be wet

I'll make sure I'll check Steph's FB page. Sure I'll learn something from her!

And thanks for the 31st May heads up. We'll make sure we stay away of big cities that day.

Guys, you're very helpful, this is why I love this forum!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #19
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Our approach to Turkey

This is the approach to Turkey we have in our minds:

Day 1: North of Switzerland - Ancona (Italy) - about 800 km of boring motorway
Day 2: Ferry from Ancona (IT) to Igoumentisa (GR)
Day 3: We arrive early morning (in theory) to Igoumenitsa. Then about 700 Km of Greek motorway until we get to Turkey. Hopefully border crossing at Ipsala in the evening!

Marta-GS screwed with this post 05-02-2014 at 04:28 PM
Marta-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #20
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

The travellers

And so that you know the travellers, let me introduce the team:

This is Rita:

That's me:

This is my friend M with his super-duper KTM:

And this little guy is Racebeast, he will also be travelling to Turkey:

Cheers!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #21
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta-GS View Post
This is the approach to Turkey we have in our minds:

Day 1: North of Switzerland - Ancona (Italy) - about 800 km of boring motorway
Day 2: Ferry from Ancona (IT) to Igoumentisa (GR)
Day 3: We arrive early morning (in theory) to Igoumenitsa. Then about 700 Km of Greek motorway until we get to Turkey. Hopefully border crossing at Ipsala in the evening!
You have potentially one extra day in here. The boat we took left in the evening of day 1 and you arrive on day 2 early in the mroning, Day 2 you can get into Turkey, although it would be worthwhile to take a few side tours in Greece and take 2 days to get to Turkey.

khpossum screwed with this post 05-02-2014 at 07:21 PM
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:13 AM   #22
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
You have potentially one extra day in here. The boat we took left in the evening of day 1 and you arrive on day 2 early in the mroning, Day 2 you can get into Turkey, although it would be worthwhile to take a few side tours in Greece and take 2 days to get to Turkey.
Wish it was like that! Our ferry does not depart on the evening of day 1, it does not leave until late morning day 2...

(but on the way back, the ferry from Igoumentisa departs late in the evening as you say - so we'll get this day back when we come back)
Old 05-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #23
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,623
Did you consider riding down the east coast of the Adriatic instead of using the ferry from Italy? Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and into Greece. A beautiful ride that'll take you 3 or 4 days days from Basel.

Or, if you're set on the ferry, might I ask why you're not taking it from Venice? It'd save you a pretty tedious blast through eastern Italy (the Italian coast road sucks btw).
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #24
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 412
I'd been working in rural Turkey a few years ago, and we'd been taught always to carry a walking stick in case we'd meet some dogs. If you hold the stick towards the dogs they'll always attack the stick first. You can also imitate picking up stones to throw at them. Usually, they back away as soon as they see you bending down - even on an asphalt road without rocks in sight.

Then, much of Turkey is Islamic and some areas are more conservative then others. Behave like the locals do. Remember, you're giving an example of the western world. We've heard local people discussing whether or not they should allow their daughters to go to university in Istambul or Europe because of how they saw tourists acting and dressing.
This of course applies to anywhere in the world, and isn't specific to Turkey.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #25
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post
I'd been working in rural Turkey a few years ago, and we'd been taught always to carry a walking stick in case we'd meet some dogs. If you hold the stick towards the dogs they'll always attack the stick first. You can also imitate picking up stones to throw at them. Usually, they back away as soon as they see you bending down - even on an asphalt road without rocks in sight.

Then, much of Turkey is Islamic and some areas are more conservative then others. Behave like the locals do. Remember, you're giving an example of the western world. We've heard local people discussing whether or not they should allow their daughters to go to university in Istambul or Europe because of how they saw tourists acting and dressing.
To be fair, behavioural adjustments are almost a requirement wherever you go - eg I can't say "gruss gott" in Germany without being yelled at, in Sri Lanka you'll get thrown in jail for taking pictures of statues and in the US you'll get shot if you walk into the wrong garage. - It's always wise to know what the local culture is like.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard

catweasel67 screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 07:05 AM
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #26
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Did you consider riding down the east coast of the Adriatic instead of using the ferry from Italy? Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and into Greece. A beautiful ride that'll take you 3 or 4 days days from Basel.

Or, if you're set on the ferry, might I ask why you're not taking it from Venice? It'd save you a pretty tedious blast through eastern Italy (the Italian coast road sucks btw).

Both options you suggest are good ones and were considered.

We decided that the main goal for this trip was visiting Turkey, not Greece, so we'll be dashing through Greece without spending much time there (we'll keep it for a Hellenic trip in the future )

Ferry is always a good option, but at the same time is not the most exciting thing to do while you're on a motorbike trip. And I tend to get sick if seas are not very calm. So the fewer hours I spend on a ferry, the better. The ferry from Venice to Igoumenitsa tooks a bit longer than the one from Ancona so we decided to go for this last one and do a bit more riding.

In the end, if everything goes as planned, we'll be in the Turkish border just after 3 days of leaving Switzerland, so I think it's not that bad!
Old 05-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #27
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post

Thanks for the tip re dogs.
Hopefully we'll meet friendly ones
You know, I'd love to see kangal puppies!

And can only agree with your comment about respectful behavior and applying everywhere you go, even the town next to yours!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #28
Marta-GS OP
Discovering the world

Ride report just created!

Just created a Ride Report thread for this trip here

Iíll try to share some updates while on the road, but canít promise. Before leaving on a riding holiday, Iím always full of good intentions to share trip updates while traveling, but when youíre on it, time flies! And the day you have time, that day you donít have an internet connection and viceversa. Will be keeping a diary though, so hopefully will be able to report retrospectively at least!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #29
Erol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:

Iíll try to share some updates while on the road, but canít promise. Before leaving on a riding holiday, Iím always full of good intentions to share trip updates while traveling, but when youíre on it, time flies! And the day you have time, that day you donít have an internet connection and viceversa. Will be keeping a diary though, so hopefully will be able to report retrospectively at least!
If you interested there is another option. We had did it last year.
There is UNRORO from Trieste to Istanbul. You can load to ferry. And same day you can fly to Istanbul. It is cheap and you can Get extra 2 days to visiting in Istanbul. UNRORO is doing all the paperwork in stead of you. Even they are giving you fly ticket . Price was between 250-300Ä with fly ticket.
Erol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #30
Erol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:

If you interested there is another option. We had did it last year.
There is UNRORO from Trieste to Istanbul. You can load to ferry. And same day you can fly to Istanbul. It is cheap and you can Get extra 2 days to visiting in Istanbul. UNRORO is doing all the paperwork in stead of you. Even they are giving you fly ticket . Price was between 250-300Ä with fly ticket.
Erol is offline   Reply With Quote