User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
MarcDanz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Ride to Kirkennes Norway

Some good friends took a car trip on the Hurtigen ferry up and down the Norwegian coast - it's a car ferry with staterooms and they said it was an awesome trip.

I'm thinking it'd be doable to ride up to Kirkennes from Amsterdam or Denmark through Sweden, then hop on and off the ferry - ride the fjords for a few days, hop on the ferry for a few days (it's an 11-day trip just on the ferry), ride for a few days, wash, rinse, repeat.

I'd do this with my wife (on her own bike). She's not a camper; we'd hotel and hostel it up (but I'd bring gear Just In Case). She is a comfy 400-mi/day rider - we rode to Banff from LA and back two years ago.

I'm thinking this is a July / August trip.

So - what's the sense of the folks out there on the sanity v. fun ratio of a trip like that?

I've read the threads here, and they make me want to do it!

07 Triumph Tiger "Montecore"
08 Ducati Hypermotard "Maude Gonne"
MarcDanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
With a bit of planning you can drop some of the hotells and spend the nights on Hurtigruta. Me and my wife took Hurtigruta from Bergen to Ålesund and it is higly recomended.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
GvG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
In the past I've gone up and down both the E45 and E4 through Sweden to the North Cape. I found the E45 pretty boring and the E4 too busy for my taste.
And Amsterdam-Sweden is both boring and busy.

My first choice would be to go through Norway to Kirkeness. And if you don't want to do that, go through Finland. I found it more interesting to ride than Sweden. You can either take a ferry from Travemünde or Rostock (Germany) to Helsinki, or drive to Stockholm and take a ferry to Helsinki or Turku.
Germany-Finland takes more than a day and is pretty expensive. When I did Turku-Stockholm (but that was 10 years ago) it was €25 (and around 12 hours) 1 day outside high-season.

Most campsites in Norway also have 'hytter'. They vary from the very basic to the very luxury, but the ones I have used always had cooking facilities (with pans, utensils, ......).
They are a hell of a lot cheaper than hotels in Norway.
GvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
MarcDanz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Possible route up

...via St. Petersberg and Finland, as suggested.

http://prtcl.es/1kdmXGN

07 Triumph Tiger "Montecore"
08 Ducati Hypermotard "Maude Gonne"
MarcDanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
How long time do you have on this trip?
Before making any plans with the "Hurtigruten" call or email the company and ask them about how it is to take short trips With bikes on the ferrys.
Ther was an article about som finish riders that had booked tickets that werent alowed With theyr bikes on one of the ships. It had somthing to do With New clasifications and rules.
I dont think it will be a problem but to be on the safe side check With them and use this article as a referance http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/article6753474.ece
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Me personaly would bail the boat at Ålesund or Kristiansund and ride the rest of the way down south. Ride to Kristiansand and take a speedferry over to Danmark.
Right after Ålesund you can just Google thes names. Geirangerfjorden,Trollstigen,Nordfjord,Sognefjell, sognefjorden,Hardangerfjorden. This is just between Ålesund and Bergen wher the Ferry ends/begins, and thers a lot more if the time is on your side.
This is from a day trip mostly from Nordfjord http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971989
Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
ubaath
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
If you go to Kirkenes, take a few hours, and ride the road that goes eastwards and up to Grense Jakobselv. It's about as far northeast you can get west of the Russian border.

If it's a dry season, you can almost shake hands with the Russian border guards across the border river :)