Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #106
Hunter-Douglas OP
rube

Oddometer: 354
I shot this video on a raft trip the other day. Icebergs be moving around up here.

Iceberg Timelapse from Hunter Petersen on Vimeo.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #107
Hunter-Douglas OP
rube

The Fool's Progress: Onwards-Upwards-Global on a 650gs

A few more photos from a local climb here yesterday. Too much to do here to sit around on your days off, so I went and climbed fireweed mountain. It's the closest peak to my tarp and it's been taunting me for a while.

The climb up involved about two thousand vertical feet of bush whacking. I'm hoping it's good training for South America, because if dense alder, bears and swarms of Mosquitos don't count for experience, I don't know what does.

After shouting into the brush to run the bears off for three hours you finally get to some open ridge line.

Another three thousand vertical of whacky ridge line and dinner plate scree takes you closer to the top.

But no matter how beat down you get in Alaska, she will always make up for it with views from the top.

Hunter-Douglas screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 12:19 AM Reason: typo
Hunter-Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #108
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,379
Very nice!
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #109
LawMur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Amazing pics!
LawMur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #110
Hunter-Douglas OP
rube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMur View Post
Amazing pics!
Thanks! And thanks for following along.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #111
Hunter-Douglas OP
rube

Things are happening fast out here. I'm two months into the season and feels like the September finish is coming up real quick. We don't really get a lot of days off, which is fine by me as long as I keep making money for the off season.

It's been hard to stay current on here when you're working 10-12 hour days that transition into immediate socialization with 20 other guides right after. I spent some time getting caught up on news and events here and it seems like a lot's been going on. Finally got current with Ed's thread only to see that it looks like he went rogue and got shut down. Interesting...
Then there's Harry Devert. I'm never one to dwell on the bad possibilities, but it hits close to home when someone bites the dust doing the same thing in the same place you're planning on going. It won't deter me, but I'm definitely going to hit the language lessons as hard I can before heading across the border to Mexico this November. I've also gotten a few clients from Mexico City up here and pried them for all the advice I could.

But I feel like it makes more sense to worry more about the realities of finances than anything else. I think that as long as I keep rolling along with the same attitude I've had since entering the workforce, I'll be ok.
And that is: I don't need to make much, just as long as I spend less than I make. I don't care if my net worth is small, just as long as it's above $0.

I'm really liking my gig up here. I'm pretty positive this will be my summer base to fund riding around Oct-April every year until I can cover the globe, even if it's just in 6-7 month increments. I'll also be up front as possible about the budget and finances, especially since everyone's usually curious (I am too). I think I should have around $6-7k for six months to ride to South America this season. That could be cutting it close with the Darien gap and having to fly back at the end of the season, but worse comes to worse I can buy the ticket on the credit card or dive into my huge nest egg 401k balance of $2200 bucks. Hopefully in future seasons I can save around $10k after I get a little more seniority here.

It scares me when people say they spend $25k for a year on the road. I can't even fathom having that amount of cash around. My budget will be much closer to the $1k/ month range.
Hope that works. Either way all I can do is save some bones, try and not go too crazy at the bar here and we'll see how far it gets me.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #112
LawMur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I really admire those of you that do long-distance adventure riding on a budget (out of necessity). You may not have a massive nest egg, but you go on the ride anyway and things seem to sort themselves out somehow.
It may be tough with the $1K per month budget, but it looks like it can be done if you minimize time in the touristy areas and free camp mostly. However, I am sure you know this better than I do.

I have taken the other path. It has been all about career and building wealth for the last 30 years. I haven't gone on any multi-month adventures yet, but I am in a position do just about whatever I want now.

Would I do it the same way again??? Well.... not exactly. The results are in; Experiences are more important to most people than is stuff & money.

Keep doin' what yer doin'
LawMur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #113
dirtykdx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Yeah, this has me hooked as well. I'm a few years older. Staring 30 in the eye, only a month away. Taking my first trip longer than a few days (17) shortly after. Also on BMW 650 single (in husky trim), wanting to see Alaska. I'm already locked into the career and can't see myself being able to take more than 2 weeks at a time unless I get laid off or change companies. Had I realized this could be done back when I was laid off the first time, at the age of 24, I'd have been right there doing the same thing. I can't tell you how jealous I truly am. Not just the riding, the mountain guiding as well. I wanted to do that since back when I was in scouts, but it never worked out. The stories you gain will bring you smiles for years to come. Can't take those away.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
dirtykdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #114
Moto One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Hey Hunter, there are a few of us that hang at Wild Cheery's and Coffee And that would really like to hear your stores first hand if you happen to pass thru Truckee on your way South. Also you may be a little optimistic with the budget, but you know you best.

Mark
Moto One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #115
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,063
Hunter, Harry's story definatly would freak me out if I was heading south. Trust your instincts.....if an area/person feels wrong...get out of there!

Glad you're doing well! Thanks for the pics
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #116
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
Hey Hunter, there are a few of us that hang at Wild Cheery's and Coffee And that would really like to hear your stores first hand if you happen to pass thru Truckee on your way South. Also you may be a little optimistic with the budget, but you know you best.

Mark
Hey Mark, I was once a "resident" at Wild Cherries every morning. When you go in this morning, tell Peter and the boys I say hello.

Thanks for taking us along Hunter. PM me if you need a place when passing through the Bay Area.

Jeff G.

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #117
Moto One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Hey Mark, I was once a "resident" at Wild Cherries every morning. When you go in this morning, tell Peter and the boys I say hello.

Thanks for taking us along Hunter. PM me if you need a place when passing through the Bay Area.

Jeff G.
I'll pass on the message to the boys on Monday morning.

Mark.
Moto One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #118
Hunter-Douglas OP
rube

Found a quick bit of service here in chitina, AK. One of our long term guides got sick and had to pull out of a raft trip, so I got woken up early one morning and told to pack my bags for a 200 mile, 16 day source to sea expedition from Nizina Lake to Cordova. 7 days in, 8 more to go down the Copper River.

One client is doing the whole section. This is Don. Sometimes he goes rogue and makes the guides pancakes.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #119
Hunter-Douglas OP
rube

Mark, Jeff,
Thanks for the offers and reminding me of my favorite place in Truckee. I'll definitely stop in for a few days to catch up with folks and share some stories.

I never really did understand what the whole coffee bar craze was about anyway.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #120
Hunter-Douglas OP
rube

Figured I would throw up a few photos from where I've been the last few weeks. 16 days from Nizina lake to the Chitina river, then the Copper river to Cordova. The Chugach mountains of Alaska are breathtaking, vibrant and harsh all at once. And now, I have to admit there was a better way to see something than on the moto.
More photos on the way...