ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #31
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Paid with Paypal.. $189.99 was the total--no tax, fees, duty or shipping
Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #32
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Final Installment

OK. Got the high tech, super secret E bay/Chinese 320mm disc installed. The bracket is made for the early (pre-'09??) calipers. I don't know the exact years and anyone thinking of buying one should be aware that Brembo changed the spacing on the mounting bolts--caliper to bracket, not bracket to fork somewhere along the line. The stock caliper on my 2007 Adventure will not fit the bracket in the kit. What fits is an older KTM single (450/525, etc.) caliper. Measure closely as the spacing is only off by 4-5 mm and I am not at all sure when the calipers changed and which models fit!

Got the SE brake lines as I removed that too. Rear fine, front, a couple of inches too long but it works. Pulled the ABS wiring loom and both front and rear wheel sensors. Front needs the 950 speedo sensor.

Bolted it all up and bleed brakes. With this combo and stock Adventure front master it was rideable but good not a good braking feel up front.

Ordered and installed 2014 690 Enduro front master. SUCCESS!! I swear I have better front brakes than with the OEM dual disc setup. And a nice bit of storage under the seat where the ABS pump was. And the bike is so light I am doing triples out of my driveway....(NOT)

This ended up not being such a new idea. The HOW and other threads cover much of this and pointed me in this direction. Thanks to all who contributed there!

FWIW

renogeorge screwed with this post 06-02-2014 at 06:13 PM
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #33
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Thanks for posting your progress. Have you ridden it enough or hard enough to induce brake fade? I am looking to follow your lead just not sure what options I want to take.
FZcruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #34
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,863
good job.

post a picture or two if you don't mind.

so I am a little confused, which adaptor bracket did you use? and where did you get it? the one you mentioned on the ebay link, you stated Didn't fit, is that right?

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
OK. Got the high tech, super secret E bay/Chinese 320mm disc installed. The bracket is made for the early (pre-'09??) calipers. I don't know the exact years and anyone thinking of buying one should be aware that Brembo changed the spacing on the mounting bolts--caliper to bracket, not bracket to fork somewhere along the line. The stock caliper on my 2007 Adventure will not fit the bracket in the kit. What fits is an older KTM single (450/525, etc.) caliper. Measure closely as the spacing is only off by 4-5 mm and I am not at all sure when the calipers changed and which models fit!

Got the SE brake lines as I removed that too. Rear fine, front, a couple of inches too long but it works. Pulled the ABS wiring loom and both front and rear wheel sensors. Front needs the 950 speedo sensor.

Bolted it all up and bleed brakes. With this combo and stock Adventure front master it was rideable but good not a good braking feel up front.

Ordered and installed 2014 690 Enduro front master. SUCCESS!! I swear I have better front brakes than with the OEM dual disc setup. And a nice bit of storage under the seat where the ABS pump was. And the bike is so light I am doing triples out of my driveway....(NOT)

This ended up not being such a new idea. The HOW and other threads cover much of this and pointed me in this direction. Thans to all who contributed there!

FWIW

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #35
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

The one I ordered off E Bay, fit the fork side but not the caliper--off by 4-5 mm on mounting holes. That was using the stock Adventure caliper.

Tried an older dirt bike caliper and it fit the E Bay bracket. So I bolted it up and off I went.

I thought of this later. But a guy with an older (pre '09??) dirt bike could swap calipers with his Adventure. The Adventure caliper will fit the dirt bike bracket (I THINK??). Then use the dirt bike caliper with the E Bay bracket and 320 mm disc.

Then again, my brain may have turned to mush from prolonged exposure to brake fluid....

Haven't mastered pictures yet. But if you are really interested, PM me with your e mail and I will send some.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #36
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,597
Keep in mind, this bracket (http://www.amazon.com/Braking-320mm-...vehicleType=46) does fit the Adv and SE caliper. It requires a Honda brake pad (with a small modification).

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #37
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good to know. I don't know how costs would add up. I paid $190 for big rotor and bracket. EXC calipers are pretty cheap and use KTM pads without modification---a six of one, half dozen of another deal, I guess....Unless the Honda pads are larger, better, etc..
Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #38
kkm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Don't the fast guys need TWO front rotors?
Kevin
2006 KTM 525EXC
2004 KTM 525EXC
kkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #39
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fast Moto GP guys? Fast dirt riders? BMW wannabes?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #40
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,863
hmmmm

fast like............ Fabrizio Meoni's Rallye 950
your statement is from someone who has never ridden a KTM Adventure with a large single front brake... the difference in feel and weight is very noticeable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkm View Post
Don't the fast guys need TWO front rotors?
Kevin

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #41
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

If someone seriously wants to know "why", there are other threads which discuss and debate it on and on and on. Not a mod for everyone I guess, just us slow guys.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #42
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Good to know. I don't know how costs would add up. I paid $190 for big rotor and bracket. EXC calipers are pretty cheap and use KTM pads without modification---a six of one, half dozen of another deal, I guess....Unless the Honda pads are larger, better, etc..
Glad to see you got it all installed and are happy. The Adventure caliper is bigger so it may offer a bit more stopping power and handle heat a bit better, but don't know for sure. I think I am going to go the way Brent did when I get around to doing my conversion. I asked CJ from CJ's Designs if he would consider making and selling an adapter that would be a no-modification bolt on conversion but he said he was too busy. He is running a custom bracket on his 950 that uses the stock caliper and pads with a 320mm rotor.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #43
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Keep in mind, this bracket (http://www.amazon.com/Braking-320mm-...vehicleType=46) does fit the Adv and SE caliper. It requires a Honda brake pad (with a small modification).
Where does this bracket fit? Inside the caliper? Or does it move the caliper away from the mounting holes on the fork leg?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #44
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Any caliper setup, including stock, uses a bracket between the fork lug and the caliper. These aftermarket brackets replace the stock bracket and move the caliper out to align with the larger disc.

Hope that helps
Old 06-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #45
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Glad to see you got it all installed and are happy. The Adventure caliper is bigger so it may offer a bit more stopping power and handle heat a bit better, but don't know for sure. I think I am going to go the way Brent did when I get around to doing my conversion. I asked CJ from CJ's Designs if he would consider making and selling an adapter that would be a no-modification bolt on conversion but he said he was too busy. He is running a custom bracket on his 950 that uses the stock caliper and pads with a 320mm rotor.

My first 320 conversion was a modified stock bracket. I took the stock bracket and had the lower bolt hole filled/welded in. I then re-drilled and tapped a new hole with the proper spacing. Worked great, never failed.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote