User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,159
Austria (September)

So my Bro's coming over (from England) on his bike in September and we're gonna have a week (ish) of riding together. Despite the fact that I've lived in Vienna for 13 years I'm remarkably ignorant of Austria in general (ja, ja, ich bein ein typische Auslander, complet mit schlechte Grammar ).

I've got a route (see map) but would welcome input, suggestions, and recommendations for campsites :)

We're planning to meet, in the evening, in the Fucking area, and will then head, anti-clockwise, around Austria before ending up in Vienna. You'll notice Innsbruck is in there, that was only used so Mapsource didn't have me doubling back on myself - and, tbh, I'd rather avoid the place entirely but then I'd need a route from Wank to the Grossglockner.

As mentioned, we'll be camping (I'm still trying to work out how to add campsites to Mapsource) and prefer to ride the back roads.

Thanks, in advance, for any, and all, suggestions :)

Edit: Just realised the pic is fairly low res so will list existing way-points below
  • Fucking
  • Kehlsteinhaus
  • Kitzbuehl (used for routing purposes only)
  • Wank
  • Innsbruck (used for routing purposes only)
  • Grossglockner (can't find the scharfes S on my keyboard)
  • Nockalmstrasse
  • Hallstat
  • Mariazell
  • Vienna
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard

catweasel67 screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 01:30 AM
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
rosmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Imst & Zell am See are worth a look around. From Imst the Hahntenn Joch over to Elmen, then the back roads to Feldkirch is a pretty good ride.

rosmoe screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 01:12 PM
rosmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosmoe View Post
Imst & Zell am See are worth a look around. From Imst the Hahntenn Joch over to Elmen, then the back roads to Feldkirch is a pretty good ride.
Thanks Rosmoe, Imst is perfect, right on our route, as it Zell am See.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
hey catweasel,
what roads are you planning around maria zell? on your maps it looks like your coming from liezen, then admont, "gesäuße" to hieflau right? you should then take "wildalpen" to maria zell but i think that is in your plan already. after a stop at the erlaufsee (biker hangout) you should ride towards Annaberg and take the road to gscheid, which turns of the main road shortly before annaberg. from there to "kalte kuchl".
i don´t know if this works, i made up a route on google maps: Palfau - kalte kuchl
do you know this site? http://www.alpineroads.com

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
travelR6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
i'll try my best :)
when you start out in fucking (you'll miss a lot of great roads in the mühlviertel by the way ) i'd head down to the attersee on the right side and at weyregg take the route on the katzengrabenwald and back to steinbach am attersee. awesome road there, attersee is beautiful too. then you can ride by mondsee down to st.gilgen / wolfgang see where the postalm is not far away. i recommend the postalm, it costs 4€ to ride up, but totally worth it.imo. you can ride down on the other side and after that i'd head over to hallein and go over the border to germany and take the rossfeldstraße near berchtesgaden - great view from the top there! ride through berchtesgaden, ramsau, schneizlreuth and over the border down to lofer.

if you ride down to st. anton, i highly recommend go over the border down to italy for a short ride to stilfserjoch and ride over to merano and the san leonardo in passiria up to innsbruck over the brenner. down to zell am ziller over to mittersill and zell am see is not far away. from there the großglockner is a musthave. i'd ride up from fusch, but thats personal preference i guess.

from there on i don't have much to add. mariazell (ride through the wildalpen), hallstatt are definitely worth a visit. other than that, avoid the autobahn at all costs, there are to many beautiful curvy roads here that it would be a shame to not use them
travelR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

Thanks Seppo :) I didn't know about the lake at Erlaufsee and would have just ridden past it :), Good call on the road to Kalte Kuchl as well :) I've amended my tentative route accordingly :)
Old 05-04-2014, 02:12 AM   #7
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

And thanks travelR6 for your suggestions. I may ride your route suggestion before my bro comes out :)....just as soon as it bloody stops raining for more than an hour.

catweasel67 screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 02:32 AM
Old 05-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #8
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

no worries mate,
and travelr6 is right, if you have the time, defenitly go down to stilfserjoch and maybe also timmelsjoch, the italien side of the pass is "interesting". i rode the brenner 2 years ago, i didn´t like it. you also might check out the "sölkpass" if you can make it there, near liezen.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:33 AM   #9
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Complete the set - Ibm (showed up as IBM on my GPS) is only 8kms from Fucking.

My friends in IT thought that was a remarkably appropriate coincidence.

Had you considered dropping down into the Dolomites at all? Pity to just ride right by them.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #10
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Complete the set - Ibm (showed up as IBM on my GPS) is only 8kms from Fucking.

My friends in IT thought that was a remarkably appropriate coincidence.

Had you considered dropping down into the Dolomites at all? Pity to just ride right by them.
Heh, the hardest thing is deciding what can be done and what can't be done in the available time frame - I could quite happily keep riding west until I can't, and then south until I couldn't...but then I'm be in South Africa and I've only got 5 days :p

Right now I've got:
Day 0 - Ride from Wien to meet Bro & camp somewhere in the Fucking area
Day 1 - Fucking to Innsbruck via the Eagles Nest.
Day 2 -Innsbruck to Imst via Wank & Elmen
Day 3 - Imst to the Grossglockner
Day 4 - Grossglockner to the Nockalmstrasse via Zell Am See
Day 5 - Nockalmstrasse to Mariazell via Erlaufsee (which is the same place anyway from what I can gather)
Day 6 takes us back to Vienna via Annaberg and Kalte Kuchl.

a total of 1387km...according to Mapsource, and. I hope, camping all the way.

The days are nice and short, very short :) allows for late starts, early finishes, problems challenges, mashing days together etc. It'll make a real chance from my previous tours of 750 to 1000 a day :)
Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
catweasel67 OP
Still a B.A.N

And I've just realised what Kalte Kuchl is :p,

Every year I think about going back there, and every year I struggle to remember what it's called and where it is :p
Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

you´re right, the erlaufsee (or "lake erlauf") is right next to mariazell.
and while the roads around kalte kuchl are nice, me and my friends refuse to go there. its about an hour away, but its just to much.
anyway, if you wanna check out the roads around mariazell before the trip with your brother, i´m happy to show you around!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
a total of 1387km...according to Mapsource, and. I hope, camping all the way.

The days are nice and short, very short :) allows for late starts, early finishes, problems challenges, mashing days together etc. It'll make a real chance from my previous tours of 750 to 1000 a day :)
Looks reasonable. I seem to average a bit over 250kms/day when in enjoyment mode. And, if you stop early enough, there's always taking a bit of time after you get set up to check out local backroads that you would normally ride right past.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Day two looks really short.
If you can, add the Kuhtai road from Oetz to Mutters or the other way around.

Are you planning on camping "on" the Grossglockner?
And even though I love the Stilfserjoch, it's a bit out of the way and the road between it and Merano sucks big time, it's busy and long and quite boring and annoying really. You could however ride to Pfunds and take a left into Switzerland (or pass over the Norbertshöhe from Nauders, do the Ofenpass (great road!), take the Umbrail (4km of unpaved but good road) or go through Livigno up to the Stelvio (=Stilserjoch) and then double back over the Brenner.
Mind you, the Stelvio was closed in the third week of September in 2011 due to snow!
2000 Suzuki SV650
2 x 1999 Suzuki TL1000R
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote