User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Thumb “If you’re going through Hell, keep going.” - Solo X Country 2014

100 KM's = 62.13 MILES you can use this as a reference for my mileage ;-)

Starting ODM = 12350 KM
FINAL ODM = 26, 457 KM

Final mileage 14,107 KM or 8765 miles

2014 X Country SOLO Trip from Leslie Sofarelli on Vimeo.

Final Route- trip completed June 15th 2014

Departure date May 17, 2014 for 30 days. Plan - Vancouver, BC to North Carolina to Long Island, Upstate New York and back. Don't know the route yet.

SpotWALLA LINK for tracking....live tracks begin Saturday May 17.

Some other blog posts I feel worth reading and I am sure many can relate while we wait for my departure are:

Riding Solo as a Type II Diabetic

How Tall is too Tall

I have done quite a few big RR's and smaller one's but what makes this one different is I am no longer with my thought to be partner for life Cheryl. Let me back up...Cheryl and I were partners as common law for 15 years before she proposed to me in March 2012. In August of 2013 we had a destination wedding that turned out to be the best day of my life. We shared our relationship with 62 of our closest family and friends over a 2 day party.

January 2014 Cheryl left without really looking back and here I am grieving the loss of a short marriage but long history of a relationship I moved to Canada for in 1998. This RR will not be full of morose "feelings" and thoughts. It will be part of my healing to continue my passion for riding long distances and learning what it is like to be a soloist in life.

My name is Leslie, originally from New York and moved to BC, Canada for the "love" of my life. I am staying here for now. I have a great career in Organ Donation working for BC Transplant. More about that later. I am learning I have friends outside who thought was my best friend. I have support but in the end it's up to me to move forward but I have a lot of thinking to do and of course working through my grief and mourning.

I ride a 2013 BMW F800GS. Have been across country in 2010 on my 2010 BMW F650GS. Rode to Alaska on a borrowed Triumph Tiger 800XC from Triumph Canada. RR in my signature. Since 2010 I have put on my bikes about 88,000 Km's and try to ride as much as I can to work. I run a blog that I am going to keep, just changed the name. I am no longer advgrrls but simply advgrrl.

I will be wearing the new KLIM Altitude suit made for women. The first really technical gear made for we grrls in our own sizing. Looks like this...

I know I am not smiling. Probably was not in the best of moods although I should have been elated getting the new suit before most even had one to buy. I have reviewed this suit as my first impressions but will post a thorough review since I will be living in it for about 14,000 KM's.

This is my bike minus my dry bag and other things I will bring along.

Another shot of my beauty

As always, I will be honest and upfront about anything to do with my gear, my bike or anything else I come across. This will be like a journal of sorts so if you choose to follow I hope you have patience with me. I will be posting some prep pics of my gear and what I am packing if I get around to organizing myself before the day I leave. My route...not sure anymore. Keeps changing and I will take it day by day.

I will post a SPOTWalla page as I will have my SPOT Connect with me. So much easier to keep family and friends updated daily. I am a Type II Diabetic so this trip will also test my ability to take care of myself. Love the little pocket on the KLIM gear where I can put my emergency card for contacts and medical issues.

2 weeks to go and I hope some of you might join me on my first SOLO adventure and as always feel free to comment, ask questions etc....and I will do my best while out on the road to stay on top of them. Oh, this will be a live report as much as I can post. Stay tuned! Leslie

soph9 screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 05:09 PM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
We met once at Pacific Motorsports in Richmond. Enjoyed your previous RR, so I am looking forward to following this one. Good luck with your solo ride.

-Peter
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitesTheDust View Post
We met once at Pacific Motorsports in Richmond. Enjoyed your previous RR, so I am looking forward to following this one. Good luck with your solo ride.

-Peter
Thanks Peter!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:30 AM   #4
GaryAK
Easy Going

Oddometer: 211
We're with You!

Yo Leslie -

We'll be about a week behind you - probably crossing your trail from time to time, and maybe meet up with you at some point on your way back.

Until then, go get 'em tiger!

Your finest hour awaits you.

We've got your back.

Gary
GaryAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Followed, Leslie!

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:55 AM   #6
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 835
Yes I am in as well....Sorry about your marriage...but you know you never know why something is good. Keep it up
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:11 AM   #7
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 649
Sorry to hear about your divorce. Enjoyed your prior RR's and look forward to this one. May your solo journey be a safe, fun and healing one.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:40 AM   #8
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
Tough times indeed and I wish you well. I too have enjoyed your travels and the insights you've shared and I'm "IN" on this trip.

Stay safe, keep moving forward and thanks in advance for taking us along.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
NikkiC
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Can't wait to follow you through your adventure! It sounds like an amazing way to start the next chapter in your life
NikkiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 738

Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,750
Doors close and windows open, will be following and as you know OUR door is open if you pass our way.

Enjoy your ride and find your peace. Colours will return
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,413
Old 05-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 477
Thumb Keep going..... We are all right behind you!

Hi Leslie- I look forward to following along on your solo X country journey! I enjoyed the RR and photos from your Alaska adventures and I know this will be a great trip as well.

I know you've used a couple different seats in the past. Are you planning to ride what looks like a stock low seat x country?

My wife will be stoked to see the new Altitude suit for ladies. This should be a great test for it and we look forward to your reviews.

In!
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
HMMWV
Makin Dust

Oddometer: 23
Love that color 800GS and love the way you have it set up.

Have a great trip. The open road and solitude has some amazing healing powers.
HMMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #15
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAllWhoWanderRLost View Post
Hi Leslie- I look forward to following along on your solo X country journey! I enjoyed the RR and photos from your Alaska adventures and I know this will be a great trip as well.

I know you've used a couple different seats in the past. Are you planning to ride what looks like a stock low seat x country?

My wife will be stoked to see the new Altitude suit for ladies. This should be a great test for it and we look forward to your reviews.

In!
I will be using my stock low seat and bring a long a sheep skin. I have been working out and I am hoping as in the past this helps my ass last longer in the saddle.