User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Heading off to Scandinavia - Any tips

In mid-July, I shall be getting off the ferry at Esbjerg, Denmark and after hopping over the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, I'll be heading up to Nordkapp, via Oslo, Bergen, Molde, Tondheim and Mo I Rana.

Once I get to Nordkapp, I return back to the UK via the tip of Finland, down the Swedish coast and Stockhom, then back through Copenhagen and Amsterdam to the Channel Tunnel.

The whole trip should be around 5000 miles and I'm allowing myself something like four weeks, so I don't feel rushed.

I'll be camping for 90% of the trip and have all the gear I need, from my trip last summer, so this request is more about what I need to be aware of ( the draconian speeding fines in Norway for instance ).

I can't think of anything obvious, apart from trying to find a cheap PAYG sim card for my iPhone. Seems you can't just pitch up and buy one, like you can in the UK. Is that right ?

I'd appreciate any tips/tricks or 'must see' co-ords along my proposed route
Old 05-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,620
I tried to find the name of the bar/restaurant that I really liked in old town Stockholm, but couldn't find it. It has underground levels, narrow staircases, and excellent herring. Big selection of beer, too. Anyway, I would just say wandering through old town is well worth the time.

In Oslo, I found a really good meat butcher that sells all sorts of wild game sausage. I think it was called Fenaknoken:
http://www.fenaknoken.no/
Try the black reindeer sausage, and maybe get something you for the road.

I love Scandinavia.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I tried to find the name of the bar/restaurant that I really liked in old town Stockholm, but couldn't find it. It has underground levels, narrow staircases, and excellent herring. Big selection of beer, too. Anyway, I would just say wandering through old town is well worth the time.

In Oslo, I found a really good meat butcher that sells all sorts of wild game sausage. I think it was called Fenaknoken:
http://www.fenaknoken.no/
Try the black reindeer sausage, and maybe get something you for the road.

I love Scandinavia.
Thanks.

Really looking forward to trying the local food and especially cooking up something while I'm camping.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddly enough, the best pickled herring I found at a street vendor was in Amsterdam along the canals. I didn't care for all the sauces and spices the Danish used.

In Helsinki, there is a big fish market down near the water. They are taking seafood straight from the sea and onto the plates.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 202
Dress warm, it can get surprisingly chilly up north even in July. The only other thing that might come as a surprise are the mosquitoes: they can be a huge annoyance in July, especially up north.

I'm not sure if I understood your SIM card question but you can buy prepaid SIM cards from just about any kiosk and shop and you can top up the card at the kiosks/shops or ATMs. You can either buy a new prepaid in each country or just use roaming, it's not that expensive anymore between the Scandinavian countries.

Or get a TravelSim (or similar) for the trip: http://www.travelsim.com/cost-and-coverage/europe/

Since you're set up for camping you're probably well aware of the liberal "freedom to roam" in the Nordic countries, you can camp just about anywhere (as long as you use common sense): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...rdic_countries
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
RolyKBiker
n00b

Oddometer: 9
If you're looking for a campsite in Denmark try Blommenlyst Camping just outside Odense. It's a small picturesque site with a charmingly eccentric owner.

One to avoid is Bogstadt outside Oslo. It may be the biggest and have good transport connections but it is a dour busy place with a lot of "resident" guests.

You probably know that the cost of living is high in Norway but we found that their roadside cafes were actually pretty good value.

One of the prettiest sites we found in Norway was at Vang; right by a beautiful lake.
RolyKBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 AM   #7
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Thank you for the replies

High Country Herb: I'll be missing Helsinki this time, but it's on the list for my Russia/Baltics trip. Love fresh fish, so I'll definitely try that out.

Old Bear: I wasn't going to take that much in the way of warm gear, but you're the second person to tell me it gets chilly, so the Keis waistcoat will be packed :) I'll have a couple of fleeces and a waterproof jacket for 'off bike' stuff too.
You read the SIM question correctly and that link is perfect. Thank you. Saves me using my rip-off contract for non-UK data/phones.
I am planning on wild camping, which I why I had to look for a new tent. My bright yellow Redverz just doesn't fit in with the whole 'stealth' ideal ;)

RolyKBiker: Thanks for the camping suggestions. I'll be wild camping a fair bit, to keep costs down to ( AirBnB for the cities ), but living in the UK means the Norway prices don't seem too steep. I'll be sticking to supermarkets for camping food and then little roadside cafes or my own Jetboil stoves for brews and breaks :)
Old 05-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

When you get up to the Baltics, be sure to check out Estonia. Those were the friendliest people in the whole region, IMHO, which was not what I expected from a former Soviet controlled area. They love to talk about anything and everything over a big mug of spiced beer and wild game.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post
In mid-July, I shall be getting off the ferry at Esbjerg, Denmark and after hopping over the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, I'll be heading up to Nordkapp, via Oslo, Bergen, Molde, Tondheim and Mo I Rana.

Once I get to Nordkapp, I return back to the UK via the tip of Finland, down the Swedish coast and Stockhom, then back through Copenhagen and Amsterdam to the Channel Tunnel.

The whole trip should be around 5000 miles and I'm allowing myself something like four weeks, so I don't feel rushed.

I'll be camping for 90% of the trip and have all the gear I need, from my trip last summer, so this request is more about what I need to be aware of ( the draconian speeding fines in Norway for instance ).

I can't think of anything obvious, apart from trying to find a cheap PAYG sim card for my iPhone. Seems you can't just pitch up and buy one, like you can in the UK. Is that right ?

I'd appreciate any tips/tricks or 'must see' co-ords along my proposed route
I'm doing a very similar trip to Nordkap about a month ahead of you !

Is there any particular reason for the route you are looking at ? I am travelling up to the northern tip of Denmark and taking the Hirtshals/Kristiansand ferry and then hitting the fjords of south western Norway - an awful lot of the 'must do' roads and sights were in this area - even to the extent of people suggesting that the only real reason to go further north of Trondheim was to 'tick' the Arctic Circle and Nordkap off the 'been there, done that' location list.

I'm not too fussed about a mobile sim - will use my UK one but switch data roaming off to avoid stupid roaming charges. If I find wifi great - if I don't, then it's not really a problem, people will just have to wait a little longer to see my photos !

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here

pebble35 screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 01:53 PM
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
When you get up to the Baltics, be sure to check out Estonia. Those were the friendliest people in the whole region, IMHO, which was not what I expected from a former Soviet controlled area. They love to talk about anything and everything over a big mug of spiced beer and wild game.
I'm going to visit the 'Big 3' of the former soviet Baltic states and assuming time allows, I'll be able to spend long enough there to really explore.

The plan for that trip is Denmark, Sweden, ferry to Finland, then Russia, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania......from there it's either south on a long loop back to the UK, or if I've spent too long already, nip across Poland and Germany to get home
Old 05-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
I'm doing a very similar trip to Nordkap about a month ahead of you !

Is there any particular reason for the route you are looking at ? I am travelling up to the northern tip of Denmark and taking the Hirtshals/Kristiansand ferry and then hitting the fjords of south western Norway - an awful lot of the 'must do' roads and sights were in this area - even to the extent of people suggesting that the only real reason to go further north of Trondheim was to 'tick' the Arctic Circle and Nordkap off the 'been there, done that' location list.

I'm not too fussed about a mobile sim - will use my UK one but switch data roaming off to avoid stupid roaming charges. If I find wifi great - if I don't, then it's not really a problem, people will just have to wait a little longer to see my photos !
I hope you're going to do a RR, so I can see how it went.

Your reasoning is exactly mine. I was thinking about the ferry from Denmark to Norway, but the ride round to Oslo looks easy from Copenhagen and the bridges are worth the trip apparently ( if the crosswinds aren't too bad ).

I want to travel round and enjoy the west coast of Norway and like you say, there are some stunning roads that need to be explored. After Trondheim, it is really just about getting to Nordkapp and then back via the McD in Finland. I want to go to Stockholm ( I like 'doing' major cities in the countries I visit too ), so the east coast road along the Gulf of Bothnia ( sounds like something from LoTR ) seems like a good ride too.

I got hammered with my provider in the UK, when I was using Google Latitude on my last trip. This time I have Spot, but I also want to be able to check for hotels if the weather turns bad and I CBA to camp for the night. That and WhatsApp a load of pics to my daughter and family/friends.
I'm doing a blog that I'll be updating nightly too and if I wild camp I doubt there'll be any free wi-fi
Old 05-10-2014, 04:56 AM   #12
wimj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Lofoten

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
people suggesting that the only real reason to go further north of Trondheim was to 'tick' the Arctic Circle and Nordkap off the 'been there, done that' location list.
Cannot agree fully: the Lofoten Islands are not to be missed IMHO.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimj View Post
If time allows, it certainly looks worth a look.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimj View Post
Point noted - a friend said the same thing and they are now on my route !

Old 05-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post
I hope you're going to do a RR, so I can see how it went.

Your reasoning is exactly mine. I was thinking about the ferry from Denmark to Norway, but the ride round to Oslo looks easy from Copenhagen and the bridges are worth the trip apparently ( if the crosswinds aren't too bad ).

I want to travel round and enjoy the west coast of Norway and like you say, there are some stunning roads that need to be explored. After Trondheim, it is really just about getting to Nordkapp and then back via the McD in Finland. I want to go to Stockholm ( I like 'doing' major cities in the countries I visit too ), so the east coast road along the Gulf of Bothnia ( sounds like something from LoTR ) seems like a good ride too.

I got hammered with my provider in the UK, when I was using Google Latitude on my last trip. This time I have Spot, but I also want to be able to check for hotels if the weather turns bad and I CBA to camp for the night. That and WhatsApp a load of pics to my daughter and family/friends.
I'm doing a blog that I'll be updating nightly too and if I wild camp I doubt there'll be any free wi-fi
Fingers crossed for a ride report - not sure just how much I will be able to so 'on the road' but I will try and post some updates and photos when I can. Not sure where yet but I will let you have a link Don !