ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #16
Don T
Bike Addict
 
Don T's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Denmark-Europe.
Oddometer: 427
The last time I visited Nordkapp was in 2010.
Here is a RR from the trip. It's in Danish but you can use google translate or just enjoy the pictures.

As mentioned before it can get cold up north even in the summer. One day you can have 20 degrees and sun the next it can be below zero and snowing.

Even as a UK citizen the prices in Norway will make you go

The roads and scenery in Norway makes up for the weather and the prices.

Lofoten has already been mentioned, and it is something special.

Besides that I can recommend the following in Norway:

Lyseboth - the road down to the fjord is fantastic.

Lærdalstunnelen - the world's longest road tunnel (24.5km)

N17 - old coast road. Maybe one of the most amazing roads in the world. It will take 2-3 days to cover the 600km.

Trollstigen - enough said.

Tromsø - a really nice city 400 km north of the polar circle with the world’s northernmost cathedral, brewery and botanic garden
.

Norway offers by far the most interesting riding and most spectacular scenery on your trip. I'll recommend that you spend most of your time on that part of the journey.

Finland and Sweden is not nearly as interesting as Norway. Both countries is never ending stretches of forest, lakes and rivers. It's beautiful nature, but with little variation.

The road along the east coast of Sweden is nothing special and I would recommend, that you take a more inland route south (eg Inlandsvägen)

I'll be heading out to explore the southeastern part of Europe at the same time that you do your ride. Otherwise you would have been welcome to stop by my place on your way through Denmark: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20814734

Bon Voyage.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #17
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer
 
pebble35's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands
Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
The last time I visited Nordkapp was in 2010.
Here is a RR from the trip. It's in Danish but you can use google translate or just enjoy the pictures.

As mentioned before it can get cold up north even in the summer. One day you can have 20 degrees and sun the next it can be below zero and snowing.

Even as a UK citizen the prices in Norway will make you go

The roads and scenery in Norway makes up for the weather and the prices.

Lofoten has already been mentioned, and it is something special.

Besides that I can recommend the following in Norway:

Lyseboth - the road down to the fjord is fantastic.

Lærdalstunnelen - the world's longest road tunnel (24.5km)

N17 - old coast road. Maybe one of the most amazing roads in the world. It will take 2-3 days to cover the 600km.

Trollstigen - enough said.

Tromsø - a really nice city 400 km north of the polar circle with the world’s northernmost cathedral, brewery and botanic garden
.

Norway offers by far the most interesting riding and most spectacular scenery on your trip. I'll recommend that you spend most of your time on that part of the journey.

Finland and Sweden is not nearly as interesting as Norway. Both countries is never ending stretches of forest, lakes and rivers. It's beautiful nature, but with little variation.

The road along the east coast of Sweden is nothing special and I would recommend, that you take a more inland route south (eg Inlandsvägen)

I'll be heading out to explore the southeastern part of Europe at the same time that you do your ride. Otherwise you would have been welcome to stop by my place on your way through Denmark: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20814734

Bon Voyage.
I think most of those are on my itinary !
__________________
Proud to be supporting Pyndon
www.lyndonposkittracing.com

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer
 
DonVulpes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leics, UK
Oddometer: 53
Some great info there, thanks Don T
__________________
http://www.tigerontour.co.uk
DonVulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #19
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Norway in a nutshell, AKA stord island
Oddometer: 103
first time posting to this forum...
i live on an island on the west of norway called stord its between stavanger and bergen, give me a shout when you are coming through, i work on the only motorcycle shop on the island and my inlaws are very inviting (all bikers, my father in law owns a bmw gs). there is a local dish here called pinnekjott which is just amazing, its dried and salted rib of mutton steamed over birch sticks. im sure we could knock some up for some guests. biggest bit of advice about norway, bring lots of money, its very expensive here (a beer is between 7 and 12 pound)
scubabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #20
trondk
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Jessheim, Norway
Oddometer: 11
Don T has already given you very good input.
If you haven't seen it already, here`s a link with some info.
http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/?gclid...FYPDcgoddE8AqA
trondk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #21
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer
 
DonVulpes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leics, UK
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabiker View Post
first time posting to this forum...

i live on an island on the west of norway called stord its between stavanger and bergen, give me a shout when you are coming through, i work on the only motorcycle shop on the island and my inlaws are very inviting (all bikers, my father in law owns a bmw gs). there is a local dish here called pinnekjott which is just amazing, its dried and salted rib of mutton steamed over birch sticks. im sure we could knock some up for some guests. biggest bit of advice about norway, bring lots of money, its very expensive here (a beer is between 7 and 12 pound)

Thank you for the offer. If I end up coming that far west, I'll give you a shout beforehand :)

I think I'll have to bring some red wine and vodka over with me on the ferry from UK ;)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
http://www.tigerontour.co.uk
DonVulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #22
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer
 
DonVulpes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leics, UK
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondk View Post
Don T has already given you very good input.

If you haven't seen it already, here`s a link with some info.

http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/?gclid...FYPDcgoddE8AqA

I hadn't seen that, but I'll definitely have a good look through :)
Thanks


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
http://www.tigerontour.co.uk
DonVulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #23
Tinwolf
FNG
 
Tinwolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Oddometer: 11
I`m very jealous

Norway is a brilliant place to ride, I`ve done most of the West coast 4 times now on my beloved R1150GS when you could get there on a ferry from Newcastle.
Don T mentioned most of the good rides but instead of the Lærdalstunnelen which is really interesting but in the end it`s a tunnel, do the Fv243 Bjorgavegan road From Aurland to Laerdalsoyri which is a fabulous road with some great hairpins and scenery. That road does the same route and not many people go on this road because there`s the tunnel now.

Geiranger
You must do the road that goes down to Gerangerfjord and back up the other side which is route 63 and takes you to the trolls road via the Eidsal - Linge ferry.

You do these 2 roads before you get to the trolls road by which time it`s nothing special and you`re probably going to get stuck behind a coach going down it anyway. There`s a massive stopping place with cafes and shops at the top of it and everyone goes to see it because there are absolutely no other roads anywhere like it....yeah right.

I would advise keeping well away from Bergen as the traffic around there is stupid, I would imagine Oslo is probably worse. Those 2 places are where the vast majority of people in Norway live after all.
Tinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #24
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer
 
DonVulpes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leics, UK
Oddometer: 53
I'm already itching to get started

Thanks for some more suggestions of places to try. I had ( I can't find it now ) a great, large map of Norway and almost everywhere looks brilliant to ride. I read Don T's RR too, which just made the wait even worse

I'm going to 'do' Oslo for certain, as I like to stay in cities, as well as the countryside, but I'll only be there for a couple of days.

Judging by what I've already seen and read, this could become a regular trip
__________________
http://www.tigerontour.co.uk
DonVulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #25
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Norway in a nutshell, AKA stord island
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinwolf View Post
I`m very jealous

Norway is a brilliant place to ride, I`ve done most of the West coast 4 times now on my beloved R1150GS when you could get there on a ferry from Newcastle.
Don T mentioned most of the good rides but instead of the Lærdalstunnelen which is really interesting but in the end it`s a tunnel, do the Fv243 Bjorgavegan road From Aurland to Laerdalsoyri which is a fabulous road with some great hairpins and scenery. That road does the same route and not many people go on this road because there`s the tunnel now.

Geiranger
You must do the road that goes down to Gerangerfjord and back up the other side which is route 63 and takes you to the trolls road via the Eidsal - Linge ferry.

You do these 2 roads before you get to the trolls road by which time it`s nothing special and you`re probably going to get stuck behind a coach going down it anyway. There`s a massive stopping place with cafes and shops at the top of it and everyone goes to see it because there are absolutely no other roads anywhere like it....yeah right.

I would advise keeping well away from Bergen as the traffic around there is stupid, I would imagine Oslo is probably worse. Those 2 places are where the vast majority of people in Norway live after all.
bergen is more confusing than london, i was there last week for a hospital appointment, your totally right, its norways second biggest city. i live on an island called stord, it between stavanger and bergen. its amazing here, mountains, waterfalls, lakes, fjords and a really awesome 7km tunnel with a forward facing speed camera. if you get the chance, visit sognfjord (you cant miss it) its actually my favourite place in the world, my inlaws are from there.
scubabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #26
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Norway in a nutshell, AKA stord island
Oddometer: 103

if the link works, thats sognfjord, the place i took the photo is called ramnaberg above a little town called feios
scubabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #27
Tinwolf
FNG
 
Tinwolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Oddometer: 11
Oh I`ve gotta show some of my pictures.

The road down to Lysboten that Don T mentioned, there is a village down there but it`s a dead end. You can get a ferry from there to Stavanger which calls off at a couple of places. This was our first day ever in Norway so those hairpins were a bit scary, we got used to it by the end of the week. There`s a tunnel down this road which has a hairpin bend in it and Norwegians don`t like their tunnels too bright if you know what I mean




This is Latefossen, I wouldn`t like to work in them stalls, it`s quite noisy.



The weather can be a bit funny. We took a ride up to Dalsnibba viewpoint which looks across to Geiranger fjord, you have to pay to go up there and the road turns to just gravel half way up. This what we saw;



And this is what we should`ve seen



More pictures here http://www.tinwolf.co.uk/norway/

Tinwolf screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 02:43 PM
Tinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #28
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer
 
DonVulpes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leics, UK
Oddometer: 53
I've already changed my original route to include Lysebotn

I still have about eight weeks until I leave, so there's plenty of time to try and route all these suggestions....although I do only have four/five weeks for the whole trip




__________________
http://www.tigerontour.co.uk
DonVulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #29
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Norway in a nutshell, AKA stord island
Oddometer: 103
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVgiYlfuGNQ have a watch of this, thats the county i live in, as you see, its very beautiful here, the whole country is like that, i still find it breathtaking even now.
also try and see some viking stuff, its very interesting, near my inlaws house are several viking burial mounds
there is a viking camp thing near haugasund that ive heard is very good (not been there myself depite it being only an hour away
oh one more thing, its mandatory to have your licence and registration stuff on you here, its worth reading all the pages on http://www.vegvesen.no/en/Home also insurance is a little different here, check the small print of your insurance docs, here the bike is insured, not the owner if that makes sense?
scubabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #30
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Norway in a nutshell, AKA stord island
Oddometer: 103
AND.. dont let a norwegian licence holder ride your bike, the police can posess it (i know posess wasnt the right word, but my mind is fried today) its fine to ride a norwegian bike on a uk licence, just not the otherway round (i am a uk licence holder and ride a norwegian bike)
i hope my rambling is useful
scubabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014