Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #31
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabiker View Post
AND.. dont let a norwegian licence holder ride your bike, the police can posess it (i know posess wasnt the right word, but my mind is fried today) its fine to ride a norwegian bike on a uk licence, just not the otherway round (i am a uk licence holder and ride a norwegian bike)
i hope my rambling is useful
Very good tip and you ( and others ) are being very helpful. thank you.

Can't wait to get on the road
Old 05-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #32
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post
Very good tip and you ( and others ) are being very helpful. thank you.

Can't wait to get on the road
i bet, im planning on going on a few trips this summer providing i get the VF sorted (ordered my sprockets today!) its such a beautiful place and i have hardly seen any of it
Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #33
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

heres a little video of the roads round here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AjowqUd114 that was 2 weeks ago, 20+ degrees, then last week it was minus 3 in the night, the weather is all over the place here
Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #34
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
heres a little video of the roads round here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AjowqUd114 that was 2 weeks ago, 20+ degrees, then last week it was minus 3 in the night, the weather is all over the place here
Good job I'm wearing Halvarssons and packing a Keis for the riding
Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #35
Aarniometsa
n00b

Oddometer: 3
After an year of enjoying this forum i had to register, so this will be my first post.
(forgive me for my bad grammar, writing in english isn't something i do too often.)

Getting an official measurement of your riding speed by a police is REALLY expensive in Finland too.
Oldbear allready warned you about the mosquitos in northern parts of your trip but i will do it again. They can drive a man insane in 15 minutes. Hat with a mosquito-net is something worth taking with you.

I'm planning to ride my first "adventure"-trip in mid-july as well.
Finland-Sweden-(west)Norway and maybe Denmark, i think that with too much planning it's going to be just a trip. (or that i'm just a bad planner)
Aarniometsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #36
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarniometsa View Post

Oldbear allready warned you about the mosquitos in northern parts of your trip but i will do it again. They can drive a man insane in 15 minutes. Hat with a mosquito-net is something worth taking with you.
Maybe I should buy shares in the company that makes Deet
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #37
Aarniometsa
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post
Maybe I should buy shares in the company that makes Deet
IMHO Ikaridin based repellents works like a charm.
There are 40 different mosquito species and over 40 different "sting-fly" species in Finland. Those "sting-flys" are 2-3mm little fuckers and their bite is a bit worse than a normal mosquito. Oh, and there are also ticks and horseflys....
Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #38
DonVulpes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
IMHO Ikaridin based repellents works like a charm.
There are 40 different mosquito species and over 40 different "sting-fly" species in Finland. Those "sting-flys" are 2-3mm little fuckers and their bite is a bit worse than a normal mosquito. Oh, and there are also ticks and horseflys....
Maybe some netting over me and the bike for the whole trip
Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #39
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
After an year of enjoying this forum i had to register, so this will be my first post.
(forgive me for my bad grammar, writing in english isn't something i do too often.)

Getting an official measurement of your riding speed by a police is REALLY expensive in Finland too.

I'm planning to ride my first "adventure"-trip in mid-july as well.
Finland-Sweden-(west)Norway and maybe Denmark, i think that with too much planning it's going to be just a trip. (or that i'm just a bad planner)
my father in law got caught speeding through the tunnel here, the police car followed him for 10KM doing over 100KMH the whole way, not sure what the fine was, but he hasnt ridden since that. if you come to norway you are welcome to pop into motorsyklisten on stord, would love to hear stories about life on a bike in finland.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #40
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

not so fun fact: mosquitos have anesthetic in their mouth things, which are also pointed, they numb the skin then bite, midges on the other hand throw up acid onto the skin of their pray, then they use a serrated mouth thing and chomp away at the now squishy infected skin until blood comes out.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #41
Aarniometsa
n00b

Quote:
if you come to norway you are welcome to pop into motorsyklisten on stord, would love to hear stories about life on a bike in finland.
My only major-plan is to suprise my cousin who lives in Sandnes. So just looking at the map tells me that Stord is going to be on the way.

And Op sorry for this little hijack. But if you need any help in Finland don't hesitate about asking for it. We Finns are strange not so much small-talking nation but our hearts are made from gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukS4opbHOFQ
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #42
PowerSlide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hey there,

I've been skimming so some of this may have been mentioned already. Bring mozzy repellant, they're huge! Bring a bottle of whiskey, it's great for making friends The camp grounds and hostels in Norway and Sweden are excellent and very reasonable and when it rains look into getting a cabin at a campsite, they're not too expensive and a nice break and you can dry clothes.

Don't go to Bergen, it really does rain all the time.

Eating out or having a beer costs a fortune in Norway but is fine in Sweden. Food in the supermarket in Norway is quite reasonable so just eat in.

Petrol costs in Norway are quite normal. Ferries are very cheap too. Snowline is at 700 meters in summer so the hills are amazing.

McDonalds has wifi, abuse it!

Just don't speed, it's not worth it. I've seen cameras in wheely bins outside and in towns. Also, in Norway they have unmarked motorbike cops on the motorways.

If you like dancing look into https://www.herrang.com/ it's amazing.

I met a family of 5 who had done Norway to Sweden the whole way on dirt roads, if you like that kind of thing.

Some photos here

and here

Have a good one,

Gar
PowerSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #43
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSlide View Post
Hey there,

I've been skimming so some of this may have been mentioned already. Bring mozzy repellant, they're huge! Bring a bottle of whiskey, it's great for making friends The camp grounds and hostels in Norway and Sweden are excellent and very reasonable and when it rains look into getting a cabin at a campsite, they're not too expensive and a nice break and you can dry clothes.

Don't go to Bergen, it really does rain all the time.

Eating out or having a beer costs a fortune in Norway but is fine in Sweden. Food in the supermarket in Norway is quite reasonable so just eat in.

Petrol costs in Norway are quite normal. Ferries are very cheap too. Snowline is at 700 meters in summer so the hills are amazing.

McDonalds has wifi, abuse it!

Just don't speed, it's not worth it. I've seen cameras in wheely bins outside and in towns. Also, in Norway they have unmarked motorbike cops on the motorways.

If you like dancing look into https://www.herrang.com/ it's amazing.

I met a family of 5 who had done Norway to Sweden the whole way on dirt roads, if you like that kind of thing.

Some photos here

and here

Have a good one,

Gar
camping is free here, you can just pitch up where you want (within reason)
Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #44
Vebster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
camping is free here, you can just pitch up where you want (within reason)
Norway has something called "allemannsretten" Every mans right to use nature, e.g. camp outside. Not in anyones garden or close to houses - but even if someone own the land you are entitled to camp there. Camping is expensive at official camp sites, and we never use it when we´re on a trip.
Lots of good advice on roads here. Most of the great stuff is covered.

But you might want to check out Inderøy for a culinary detour , and once you get a little north of Trondheim, try and use the roads that are at the coastline. E6 runs straight north, but isn´t much fun obviously.
Vebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #45
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vebster View Post
Norway has something called "allemannsretten" Every mans right to use nature, e.g. camp outside. Not in anyones garden or close to houses - but even if someone own the land you are entitled to camp there. Camping is expensive at official camp sites, and we never use it when we´re on a trip.
Lots of good advice on roads here. Most of the great stuff is covered.

But you might want to check out Inderøy for a culinary detour , and once you get a little north of Trondheim, try and use the roads that are at the coastline. E6 runs straight north, but isn´t much fun obviously.
speaking of food, i love pinnekjott, i highly recommend it to everyone! still need to try lutefisk, my wife refuses to buy it, but i really want to!
i had smaahove once too (think i spelt that right), it wasnt the whole head, it was sliced up into a kinda skinke thing. that was good