ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
GCecchetto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
1190 Powercell Air Filter

I'm the very excited new owner of a new 1190 Adventure R. Given the reports of the poor air Filter/air box cover, I wanted to get that taken care of before the bike saw any miles. I spent considerable time searching the web for the potential fixes and wasn't feeling overly excited about the options. The uni-filter looked like a safe solution, but people complained about adverse effects on the throttle response. The Rottweiler, obviously a quality piece of kit, but I don't need more performance, just an adventure ready filter I can trust to keep my engine safe, and I don't like the idea of omitting the air box cover. The DNA seemed like a good compromise but I wasn't thrilled about relying on grease around the air box cover to keep dirt out, and you don't know if it's leaking dirt until it's too late.

I kept coming back to the Rottweiler, liking the fact that the filtering is happening at the velocity stacks, no way dirt is getting into the engine unless the filter is damaged, it completely takes the air box cover leaking out of the equation. A great design, but I kept wishing for a version that would allow the air box cover to be installed.

Once I came across the Powercell filter I knew I had found the right solution to the problem. I called and talked to Ken Thursday afternoon, he was very patient and answered all of my questions. I wanted the filter by Saturday, hoping to get it installed and go for a ride. I placed the order, got the ship notification within minutes and the filter showed as promised on Saturday. Unfortunately the mail delivers early afternoon in my area, and the mail man was later than usual so I wasn't able to get out for a ride.

Since I didn't ride the bike prior to the filter install, and have been off bikes long enough that I have to be considered a noob again, I'm not the guy to assure everyone that the short velocity stacks perform, but I can assure you that the kit is ultra high quality and that you will, without a doubt, feel your motor is completely safe from dirt intrusion. Ken is a straight shooter, and I believe him when he says the dyno shows the filter doesn't make less HP and torque than the stock setup anywhere in the power band, and in fact opens the top end way up.

For me it's the perfect solution, focused on adventure touring, what the bike was intended to do. I highly recommend a serious look at this filter if you are concerned about your motor digesting dirt.

"Every Society Honors It's Live Conformists And It's Dead Troublemakers"
GCecchetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,371
Good move!

That's a smart and timely upgrade! When finances allow, check out the bitchin Yosh pipe for your bike ( so you can loose that stock trash can).

And there's some inspiring ride reports of local guys doing all kinds of cool stuff on the 1190s... Some desert ridge line single track... And multi state dual sport touring.

Lot's of good times ahead!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
AdventureDave82
Infinite Curiosity

Oddometer: 21
Update please ...

Hello GCecchetto, please post some photos and an update after you've had a chance to try out your new kit.

Cheers,

Dave
AdventureDave82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
zeddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Is this filter better than the Uni kit?
zeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
GCecchetto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDave82 View Post
Hello GCecchetto, please post some photos and an update after you've had a chance to try out your new kit.

Cheers,

Dave
Didn't take any photos of the install, figured there were enough posted already. It's quite a robust kit and is confidence inspiring, definitely not worried about dirt in my motor. I'm still in the brake in period so I haven't had it over 5,500 RPM but so for throttle response has been excellent, nothing strange going on.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
GCecchetto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
Is this filter better than the Uni kit?
In my opinion, this is the best filter you can install, especially if you plan to use the bike as it was intended to be used. Filtering at the velocity stacks takes the crappy filter, filter retainer, and air box cover out of the equation. I highly reccomend the kit.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,941
I just ordered one from CJ designs. No tax and free shipping.

I've had good luck with the UniFilter but this seems like a much better design.

Hope it works as well as everyone says.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Dominik78
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
I just ordered one from CJ designs. No tax and free shipping.

I've had good luck with the UniFilter but this seems like a much better design.

Hope it works as well as everyone says.
I should have done the same.
I ended going with the DNA filter. But in retrospect after shipping etc at $140, the cost was half way there to the Power Cell Air Filter.
Dominik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
painterdude
ride far

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik78 View Post
I should have done the same.
I ended going with the DNA filter. But in retrospect after shipping etc at $140, the cost was half way there to the Power Cell Air Filter.
be interesting to see if the PC beats the DNA in power increase. Has an advantage over the DNA in dirt security..It is also interesting that the PC comes much cheaper than Rottweiler. Can't see the $$ difference. It actually seems the PC is the better product to the Rot as it has the advantage of feeding the bike cooler air via snorkels .
painterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
No one seems to mention noise abatement as another pro to this system relative to Rottweiler. The airbox also serves to reduce intake noise, removing it can make it A LOT louder at WOT when the throttle plates are fully open. It is fine on the track, but really shitty for aggressive riding on the street. You basically beg to be pulled over by the fuzz out to generate revenue, which here in Socal seems to be everywhere. If I had my SXV with foam filter (open airbox) here I would have to ride it as if I was an illegal immigrant in AZ*.

Offroad with the 1190 it probably isn't a bit deal as you will rarely truly have the intake butterflies fully open, but quiet offroad does help keep offroad options open.

*-not saying the Rottweiler is obnoxious like my SXV was, never heard anything but video at idle with minor throttle blips, but certainly this solution retaining the box will be most quiet option.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
DragonsTailR1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Rotti is def louder than stock, no surprise there. With the wind noise this bike creates however, I think the intake sound is actually not that noticeable. I prefer the sound b/c I ride by sound, no need to look at the tach with this kit. There are tradeoffs with anything you buy...if you want the most power and don't care about intake sound buy the Rotti... if you want whisper quiet buy something else.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #12
inkendave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Just a question to all you who have installed the Powercell Air intake into the 1190. Does the crankcase breather, attached to the rear of the original airbox, breathe filtered air?

On fist glance it appears to not be breathing filtered air with the PowerCell installed!
inkendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkendave View Post
Just a question to all you who have installed the Powercell Air intake into the 1190. Does the crankcase breather, attached to the rear of the original airbox, breathe filtered air?

On fist glance it appears to not be breathing filtered air with the PowerCell installed!

That's a good question. The crankcase vent is a positive pressure system caused by exhaust valve guides and piston rings allowing combustion pressure to bypass into the crankcase. The rear pod filter pushes directly against the CC vent and filters the blowby prior to entering the throttle body. Pretty simple, but thanks for asking!

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
That's a good question. The crankcase vent is a positive pressure system caused by exhaust valve guides and piston rings allowing combustion pressure to bypass into the crankcase. The rear pod filter pushes directly against the CC vent and filters the blowby prior to entering the throttle body. Pretty simple, but thanks for asking!

Ha, yeah I was going to say if your crank case vent is 'inhaling' you have bigger problems.

It will interesting to see how the rear pod looks after a lot of miles and high rpms. My rear intake valves looked like this after 7500 miles:

Front were clean. (CC vent dumps right above rear throttle body)

Seems to be another small plus... All the junk(atomised oil and fuel vapors) spit out the CC vent is filtered yet hydrocarbons are still burned to remain green. I would rather have a washable filter doing the heavy lifting than the intake valves. Maybe it is no big deal, but those deposits on the upper bell of the valve may break off or migrate and crate excess wear on the seating area. If nothing else it is ugly.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

^
I hope that didnt sound smart ass...The reason the CC vent is on the clean side is to capture and reburn the output to reduce emissions. As Ken said it is only positive pressure,i.e. 'exhale'... They are often called positive crankcase vents. Breather is a bit misleading as it doesnt go both ways. It is on the clean side to also create a bit of a vacuum to to keep it even more positive.

If it is vented to atmosphere it will still be positive, just without the aid of vacuum from the intake. This system seems like it would be somewhere in the middle since you still have 'the box', but the CCV is outside the filters.

Slightly off topic as this does not apply directly to topic, but now I wonder if you can actually have too much of a good thing with the vacuum? Like the restrictive paper filter increases how hard the CCV is pulling? The photo above was 7500miles with stock paper filter, and outer lids sealed with tape. Yet I still had a lot of dust that squeeked thru the tiny crack inside above the air filter where I was relying on stock design internally. I also had a fair amount of oil that came out the CCV despite not overfilling over those miles. I bet that most of the airbox woes are because the filter creates so much vacuum (to overcome resitance) that dust finds a way in thru the smallest of cracks (path of least resistance), but it also may be pulling oil out the CCV. This system would not do that since the vacuum will be inside the throttle body.