ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
painterdude OP
ride far

Oddometer: 674
damper question

Presently our bikes come fitted with a damper. This damper from Tourtech simply bolts on and is somewhat less $$ and intrusive option than the below bar mounted Scotts or Ollins.
It was presented in another thread but no comments were made on it

Has anyone any experience with these dampers?
How do they compare to other damper products?

thanks
painterdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
I have ne experience with it but would assume (always dangerous) that it is better than stock by a ways. for off road I would (did) spend the extra $ for the scotts, they just work so good.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
painterdude OP
ride far

actually as far as cost goes this damper is more expensive than the Scotts which alone are I think around $320. The installation bits make the Scotts slightly more expensive.
Ya I agree that any damper has got to be better than the non adjustable one we have stock..
Old 04-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
That looks like a HyperPro damper I have on my touring bike
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
scudrunner82
combustion addict

Oddometer: 2,469
I would ask what you find lacking in the OEM damper to make an informed recommendation...

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

My Youtube channel----- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kdER0Y5QfoE9gQ
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
painterdude OP
ride far

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
I would ask what you find lacking in the OEM damper to make an informed recommendation...
I could tell you what I think on that score scud, but you could more accurately answer the question posed having just installed a damper. Your first hand experience of the difference an aftermarket damper makes over the OEM would be good to hear.

Personally I simply want more control of the damper. ..the ability to set it for the conditions I meet.
I do not know if the OEM positioning is better or worse than an above bar placement..nor if the hyperpro is any worse or better at damping than say a Scott or others..hence my questions re others experience.
g
Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
painterdude OP
ride far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
That looks like a HyperPro damper I have on my touring bike
How do you like that particular damper and its positioning?
Have you any experience with other dampers to compare its performance?
Old 04-04-2015, 04:54 AM   #8
scudrunner82
combustion addict

Oddometer: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
I could tell you what I think on that score scud, but you could more accurately answer the question posed having just installed a damper. Your first hand experience of the difference an aftermarket damper makes over the OEM would be good to hear.

Personally I simply want more control of the damper. ..the ability to set it for the conditions I meet.
I do not know if the OEM positioning is better or worse than an above bar placement..nor if the hyperpro is any worse or better at damping than say a Scott or others..hence my questions re others experience.
g

Well, I literally just installed my Scotts a week ago and only have road miles on it so far. I really can't give a completely thorough review of it yet, but I can confidently recommend it if you want better "feel" off road.

I'm not sure about the Hyperpro unit you posted. It looks like it just has the one adjustment, and is weighted more toward road use. I could be wrong of course.

I wanted to try the Ohlins from Powercell, but it only comes in a 51mm rise with that mounting system, and that is too high for me.

I ended up with the Scotts solid mount damper from Powercell because it raises the bars 24mm (the lowest I could find) and I don't feel the need for any additional vibration reduction on my bike. Plus its cheaper.

My main complaint with the OEM damper is it makes the bike feel "heavy" off road at low speed because of the fixed return to center damping. I've yet to off road my bike since the install, but I'm very confident the Scotts (or the Ohlins) will fix that. The Hyperpro... Not so sure. If you don't do much off road its probably a good option but frankly I thought the OEM damper works great on the street.

Hope this helps.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

My Youtube channel----- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kdER0Y5QfoE9gQ
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
painterdude OP
ride far

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Well, I literally just installed my Scotts a week ago and only have road miles on it so far. I really can't give a completely thorough review of it yet, but I can confidently recommend it if you want better "feel" off road.

I'm not sure about the Hyperpro unit you posted. It looks like it just has the one adjustment, and is weighted more toward road use. I could be wrong of course.

I wanted to try the Ohlins from Powercell, but it only comes in a 51mm rise with that mounting system, and that is too high for me.

I ended up with the Scotts solid mount damper from Powercell because it raises the bars 24mm (the lowest I could find) and I don't feel the need for any additional vibration reduction on my bike. Plus its cheaper.

My main complaint with the OEM damper is it makes the bike feel "heavy" off road at low speed because of the fixed return to center damping. I've yet to off road my bike since the install, but I'm very confident the Scotts (or the Ohlins) will fix that. The Hyperpro... Not so sure. If you don't do much off road its probably a good option but frankly I thought the OEM damper works great on the street.

Hope this helps.
Thanks scud ..it does.
I am going to be doing much more off road this summer and the damper is being upgraded in large part for that reason. I would agree with you re your assessment of the OEM's effectiveness on road. I probably would not even think about a damper if I was sticking to the pavement.
I like the OEM's out of the way placement hence my interest in the HyperPro just know nothing about it.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
The HyperPro is a much better road damper than stock. My road bike a BMW K1200LT had a damper much like our stock 1190's, the HyperPro that replaced it was adjustable so I had a lighter steering feel and the damping also. Just take the OEM unit off your 1190 and you will feel like the bike is lighter on and off road thats how its going to feel with a Scotts dirt version damper, it only damps going away and not the return to center. The Ohlins that PC sells has both street and dirt damping in it plus being adjustable, thats the one I want. I have had a Scotts on my 450EXC for years and after you ride with one you will never have a dirt bike without one they make that much difference and my suspension has been revalved also, it just adds so much to the handling in rough areas.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
antirich5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
I can't speak for the 1190, but I replaced the stock steering stabilizer with the Hyperpro unit on my Triumph 675 Daytona. The stock unit was basically worthless, like a screen door dampener; the hyperpro made any sudden input in the steering much more compliant and more stable. The harder the input, the softer the response. Little movements had little effect, so you didn't get a feeling of heavy steering.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
painterdude OP
ride far

Thanks Doug and antirich. Helpful info and appreciated.
g
Old 04-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
mjlang
Man Caves Rule!

Oddometer: 180
I did some research and Touratech as always, gold plates everything. This HyperPro unit is 84 Euro from the manufacturer, 124.00 USD from their US distributer, and hold on to your hats... 574.00 USD from Touratech-USA. This is not a misprint.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #14
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
No experience with the Touratech, but it doesn't look like it would be easy to reach the adjustment. I've used the Scotts/Ohlins for lots of years and my experience is that you want to be able to make adjustments on the fly while riding. Encounter big rocks/sand, increase the damping a click or two.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #15
painterdude OP
ride far

mjlang..I saw those prices as well but was wondering if they only reflect the attachment kit needed for the damper fitment not the damper. If it is the damper alone..Touratech is indeed gouging on price.

Dirt Jack I think you make a good point concerning settings change accessibility. I think I will go with the Scott's - the same set up as you scud for similar reasons . The Olin's damper from PC looks awesome but its pricey and lifts the bars too high for my liking