Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #136
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
[QUOTE=EricHosk;24145198]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
G'day Guys

I have spoken with the warranty man Craig **** of KTM Australia.

I expressed my concern to him concerning the airbox issue with the 2013 and 2014 models.

He has informed me that within two weeks KTM Australia is sending letters to all 1190 owners informing them that they will supply Unifilters at their cost, for all bikes including the R model.

The owners will need to pay for the install.

He also wanted the name of my bike shop contact in my town, to send the filter overnight to them.

G'day Orange V ,
is that correct ? KTM Aus. will be supplying Unifilters to 1190 customers ? That'd be right, I just bought one today.
I am also having problems with a 'clunking' noise coming from the front end when hitting sharp bumps , sounds a bit like steering head bearings . Still WAITING to hear back from KTM , along with the speedo reading 8% over ( ie: speedo reading 100kph - actual 92 kph ) . I've heard that these two problems exist on other 1190's.
Eric
Hey Champ

Yes this is correct, KTM Australia will provide a Unifilter to all 1190 owners
at their cost inlcluding the R guys. You just pay for the fitting.

My filter was fitted last Friday in the ACT, by my dealer, they said they have already fitted them to a number of new and second hand bikes.
I also had the front end clunk, you need to have the dealer tighten the triple clamp and do the steering head bolt/nuts.
I have not had any issue with the speedo at all.

Check all of your paper and contact the warranty guy whos name is on the paperwork. If you dont have it send me a PM and I will send it to you.
Are you in Oz...
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 AM   #137
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,261
Does it matter

Wrong is wrong. People need to contact Ktm and tell them it's wrong and ask them what they are going to do about it

Over and over
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:45 AM   #138
EricHosk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Yeah mate , in Oz .....Narrabri , NW NSW.
I'll send you a PM for those details.
Cheers,
Eric
EricHosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #139
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
So do you think the reason of the leak is wrong assembly and not wrong design?

I think the design is wrong, the bottom of the holder does not move far enough when you close it so the bottom of the filter is not pressed against the frame tight enough to seal.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #140
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Told a friend here in Colorado

To open his box and guess what....covered in dirt same as the rest.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #141
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

We need 20 people

To file a class action law suit

Thoughts or people interested. What Ktm is doing is just wrong. We need to get together as a strong unified group and make it happen

ebrew screwed with this post 05-13-2014 at 07:52 AM
Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #142
Suddenstop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
I think the design is wrong, the bottom of the holder does not move far enough when you close it so the bottom of the filter is not pressed against the frame tight enough to seal.
I think its a combination of air box design and the stock filter. With the flimsy stock filter there's just no way its getting good contact at the bottom with enough pressure not to leak. You really cant push it down further, as the frame is soft. it is NOT an installation issue, nor can it be rectified with stock parts and grease.

With the uni filter - its a larger than stock durable rubber frame. It seats much better. I believe all evidence is that the uni kit does not leak, and based on my own experience installing it - I'm highly confident the unit does not leak.

Uni also comes with a gasket for the air box top. I assume they did their own research and concluded it was necessary - therefore it probably can leak at the top as well. I do know that the air box cover on my last bike had a much more positive engagement channel.

Again - not an installation issue and the bikes leak past the filter as delivered.
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #143
Suddenstop
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
To file a class action law suit

Thoughts or people interested. What Ktm is doing is just wrong. We need to get together as a strong unified group and make it happen
I called ktm multiple times, and am sending a written letter to Jon-Erik Burleson the KTM NA president.

I think they

1- need to fix all bikes at cost immediately.
2 - increase warranty especially on affected parts.
3 - replace complete engines for bikes that clearly sucked a lot of dirt and have top end problems

I'm waiting for a response from ktm and if not satisfactory I will join. It would be hard for me to sue ktm as I am not so much an unhappy customer as I am a disappointed fan.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #144
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Do you have

A contact for the prez of Ktm USA. I don't want to do a law suit but.....I love the bike just want them to step up.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #145
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
A contact for the prez of Ktm USA. I don't want to do a law suit but.....I love the bike just want them to step up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976446
Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #146
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

I have that thanx

I have called and spoke to people there on a few occasions with no help to be had. Was told to put thinner oil in my bike for the cold start issue. Then months later called again with the same answer. Called this time with air box issues and they know nothing about it as well as the cold start issues. This over a 3-4 month time frame.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #147
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
I have called and spoke to people there on a few occasions with no help to be had. Was told to put thinner oil in my bike for the cold start issue. Then months later called again with the same answer. Called this time with air box issues and they know nothing about it as well as the cold start issues. This over a 3-4 month time frame.
They are lying to you, and you need to write to the man at the top, Jon Eric Burleson, phone calls have no effect. The air box issues and cold start issues are known at KTM HQ and all EU Distributors are supplying spare parts to attempt remedies. Also KTM USA, KTM SA, KTM AU, KTM GB, KTM France have replaced several engines under warranty due to the dust intake from faulty airbox.

For KTM USA to tell you they know nothing about it is committing the criminal offense of fraud in USA law. Get it in writing and the police will prosecute, regardless of any class action civil suit.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #148
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
They are lying to you, and you need to write to the man at the top, Jon Eric Burleson, phone calls have no effect. The air box issues and cold start issues are known at KTM HQ and all EU Distributors are supplying spare parts to attempt remedies. Also KTM USA, KTM SA, KTM AU, KTM GB, KTM France have replaced several engines under warranty due to the dust intake from faulty airbox.

For KTM USA to tell you they know nothing about it is committing the criminal offense of fraud in USA law. Get it in writing and the police will prosecute, regardless of any class action civil suit.
Police do not prosecute in the US, never. We leave that task to attorneys, not law enforcement officers. Fraud, I don't think so..
Fraud is a deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain..... As always YMMV.

If KTM doesn't step up it seem the market place may be the only recourse. Mfg produces bad product, consumers get the word and do not buy the product, mfg goes out of business. Think Yugo!

Paul

Paul
Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #149
Suddenstop
Adventurer

Quote:
Based on this article:

http://blog.ktm.com/interview-of-the...north-america/

I sent it to the Murietta CA address:

Jon-Erik Burleson
38429 Innovation Court
Murrieta, CA 92563

I sent it "personal and confidential" "only to be opened by named addressee"
Old 05-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #150
WickedKTM
Lost

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenstop View Post
Based on this article:

http://blog.ktm.com/interview-of-the...north-america/

I sent it to the Murietta CA address:

Jon-Erik Burleson
38429 Innovation Court
Murrieta, CA 92563

I sent it "personal and confidential" "only to be opened by named addressee"
I will be writing also. spend the extra few bucks and get it "certified" mail with return receipt so you have a true paper trail. I would include pics of dirty intakes and link to this forum/thread.
WickedKTM is offline   Reply With Quote