Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #181
SonoraDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Inspected my 2014 R yesterday with 5001 miles on the odometer and found dirt. Maybe 500 miles ridden in dirt and the rest on road. Never been exposed to extreme dust. I installed the UNI Filter and contacted the dealer. I wasn't happy with the response that they are not aware of any issues and that I should purchase an extended warranty. I'm going to have to work on them to pay for the extra warranty coverage.

Semper Fi
IBA 42163

SonoraDave screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 06:58 PM
SonoraDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #182
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,542
Without question for 70 bucks the Unifilter is the way to go. I installed one in February when the bike was new. Yesterday I pulled the bodywork to check the filter after 3000 miles and it was clean as a whistle. I'm confident its going to do the job.
After you do the job once, getting to the filter for maintenance is literally a 15 minute task, taking your time. Easy peasy!

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #183
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,208
I decided to add a little grease to my airbox seals before riding this weekend. These are the tools needed to R&R the air-filter... just ridiculous.

Also make certain to liberally lube the cross seal as I believe it is the real culprit in letting dust through...

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #184
MotoWhaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
^^Nice.

Praise the lord my Uni just arrived! A little more than a week to get here; felt like an eternity.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #185
RLP65202
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
"If you have a USA '14 you may need one..."
"No they fixed it for '14, and I have no problems..."
"Well I have one and it is super dirty."
ETC, ETC, ETC. There seems to be no yes or no answer...

I will order a Uni filter kit (backordered from Tourtech $100) and post my results.

Hope this is the only flaw in a bike I saved up for 2 years, and sold 2 bikes to buy!
RLP65202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #186
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLP65202 View Post
"If you have a USA '14 you may need one..."
"No they fixed it for '14, and I have no problems..."
"Well I have one and it is super dirty."
ETC, ETC, ETC. There seems to be no yes or no answer...

I will order a Uni filter kit (backordered from Tourtech $100) and post my results.

Hope this is the only flaw in a bike I saved up for 2 years, and sold 2 bikes to buy!

It's cheaper if you order straight from Unifilter Australia and they deliver very quickly.... don't pay the Touratech premium!

Old 05-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #187
WickedKTM
Lost

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
It's cheaper if you order straight from Unifilter Australia and they deliver very quickly.... don't pay the Touratech premium!

x2!
WickedKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #188
RLP65202
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Thank you! Done!
RLP65202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #189
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLP65202 View Post
Thank you! Done!
Enjoy your new bike. Install the filter and ride. The vast majority of owners have no issues.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #190
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 674

The KTM PowerParts intake filter installed. Kind of equivalent to the Unifilter foam intake filters, but this one is mesh.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #191
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
1190R Air Filter

Back in February I checked the air box of my 1190R and all was clean, but I ordered a Uni anyway, knowing that I would be riding in much dirtier conditions than I had at that point in time.

I finally got around to putting the Uni filter in today and found the air box was still clean inside.

There was all sorts of debris, dead bugs, etc., on the dirty side of the paper element which came off by tapping the filter, holding it upside down. Notice that the left side (bottom edge when the filter was installed) is curved as it was being pressed down against a built-up surface across the bottom of the air box. I'm happy my air filter was doing its job. I could also see that the air box lid was sealing properly allowing no air into the clean side of the filter except through the filter.

Perhaps my good luck with the OEM filter is due to my careful disassembly/reassembly early on.

I went ahead and installed the Uni filter.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 03:01 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #192
2wheelfool
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelfool View Post
Happy to hear about the news in Australia.

Took my bike to the dealer today (a three hour drive one way) with the understanding that my bike was to have the valves checked as well as a leak/compression test.

Got a call from the dealer shortly after I dropped off the bike (I had gone to get some lunch) stating KTM did not agree with the idea to test the bike. So, the dealer snapped some photographs of the throttle bodies/plates and called it a day. They forwarded the photos to KTM. I had taken photos when I opened the airbox and stated the fact when I made the appointment with the dealer.

I told the dealer that I had brought a Unifilter along with me (which I had previously purchased). They wanted nothing to do with it, claiming aftermarket liability to the warranty. However, they did say KTM recommends I purchase their replacement air filter as well as the dust cover for the ram air. The dust cover runs $64 and the air filter (although KTM has created a part number) does not have a price as of yet. So, here I wait.....

Amazing! I've spent a tank of gas and a good part of a day only to have to give KTM more $$!

So, I've got about 7 months left on the warranty to hope for some issue to show or not to show up with the motor. Not what I expected on my most expensive motorcycle purchase to date.

The dealer's manager stated KTM "does their customers right." I don't know, perhaps my perception is skewed, but this doesn't feel "right" to me.
I was able to get in touch with KTM North America and the agent was puzzled as to why a leak-down test was not performed. So, he has contacted another dealer and set it up for me to have the testing done.

It's a move in the right direction, so I'm pleased. We'll see what happens...
2wheelfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #193
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Back in February I checked the air box of my 1190R and all was clean, but I ordered a Uni anyway, knowing that I would be riding in much dirtier conditions than I had at that point in time.

I finally got around to putting the Uni filter in today and found the air box was still clean inside.

There was all sorts of debris, dead bugs, etc., on the dirty side of the paper element which came off by tapping the filter, holding it upside down. Notice that the left side (bottom edge when the filter was installed) is curved as it was being pressed down against a built-up surface across the bottom of the air box. I'm happy my air filter was doing its job. I could also see that the air box lid was sealing properly allowing no air into the clean side of the filter except through the filter.

Perhaps my good luck with the OEM filter is due to my careful disassembly/reassembly early on.

I went ahead and installed the Uni filter.
Did you do anything special back in Feb?
CaliBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #194
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBerger View Post
Did you do anything special back in Feb?
No. Just took it apart to see if dirt was getting in, then back together giving attention to re-assembly details. Some are saying that the OEM filter may not be sealing across the bottom. In my case it fits rather tightly. Others have said it is leaking around the lid. Not with my air box. It may be possible to over-tighten the screws holding the top on. I left a bit of play on each screw, then try to slide the lid a bit to insure the the lip of one side is properly in the groove of the other part, then snug the screws down, but not too tight. Putting some heavy filter oil/grease on the groove may help. I did not use the Uni gasket as I felt I couldn't be sure the lip was in the groove when the gasket was used. Mine is sealing well anyway, so it wasn't needed.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #195
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Enjoy your new bike. Install the filter and ride. The vast majority of owners have no issues.
MotoMarc (1190R) and I (STD) changed out the oem for the Uni. Not too difficult but I forgot to connect a plug on the air box and had MTC Failure and check engine light upon starting. Had to undo everything and reconnect plug so go a little extra practice. No cursing or broken plastic.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote