Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #226
MarchHare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
put this in the 2014 1190 thread but for completeness...

For those in Europe thinking about fitting the Unifilter I have just bought one direct from Unifilter in Australia at an all in cost, including delivery, of £47. It is cheap enough not to catch the attention of customs (no charge if potential VAT is below £9 and cost, pre postage is well below threshold). Time to deliver was around 10 days from order.

For comparison Touratech is showing them at £68 but on back order anyway.

Just saying.......
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #227
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
installed the Uni last night. simple and it appears to be far better than stock. I really like the pre-filter in the snorkels, should be very easy to service.
I ordered direct from Uni, they were $76 US and arrived in 10 days. just for ease of maintenance, like my dirt bike, I will order another so I don't have to wait for them to dry when I clean them. just put the fresh one in and go. I can then clean the other, let it dry completely, oil it and put it in a bag for next time.
A very simple fix for a problem everyone makes a huge deal over. I highly recommend it!
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #228
Fro_911
Watch this...

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenstop View Post
I am not so much an unhappy customer as I am a disappointed fan.
Well said.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #229
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
KTM USA called back….

KTM USA called me back today. Stated there's no documented issue with the air box, but if I was concerned I was to order the dust protector for the snorkels and a DNA filter.

Received notification the Uni has been shipped so it should be here in the next few days. Bike still parked and disappointed KTM USA still won't acknowledge the issue. But, looking forward to flogging her hard when the Uni gets here and putting this issue behind me.
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #230
chadscamaro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Well its been documented with plenty of pictures of my engine in 50+ pieces! Hell they over nighted new cylinders yesterday to reassemble engine. Its Known and documented and im not alone and if I am the first one in the US which is unlikely I know I WILL NOT be the last to have this issue. So far I was also told their ktm air filter kit does nothing for air box lid and I keep mentioning it to dealer and Brian at KTM hq call center so far it seems an it is what it is situation. I already said I will go along with their fix this time but if anything happens again, ITS ON and I truly mean that. So hopefully they get it right for all our sakes. This bike is to cool to own to not be able to ride it for a simple design flaw!!
chadscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #231
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I called my who dealer wasn't aware of this issue (they are fairly new to "street" bikes and probably haven't sold many 1190s). I told him about it, and how I found dust in mine. He said he'd give KTM a call and call me back. He called back in only about a half hour and said KTM would do a leak down under warranty for me and asked for the pictures I took. He also mentioned that they have heard of this issue and are looking at bikes on a case by case basis.

I'm pretty confident my bike will pass the leak down as I did very little dirt riding in the 2500 miles before I switched to the Unifilter, only a couple of miles following a truck in dusty conditions.

Good news, the Unifilter has definitely solved the problem for me! I did a big 1500 mile ride last week, mostly on dirt roads and atv trails, and the airbox is perfectly clean. I also rode through a very big storm system that was dropping some intense rain, but it doesn't look like any water got in there. Only the snorkel socks are dirty, the prefilter and filter looks like new. I was also able to open the airbox in about 15 minutes. Once you know what to do, and the tank isn't too full, its not too bad. The hardest part for me is unplugging the fuel pump.
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #232
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 387
IMHO this issue could be resolved simply and reliably if KTM in Austria were to issue a service note to all distributors informing them to fit the Unifilter, and making it clear that the Unifilter is an approved item. Instead of this there appear to have been denials, lies and damned lies about the issue of "trashed engines". Handling this issue on a "case by case basis" is a complete cop-out that denies the known effect that this manufacturing defect is having on reputation, sale and resale of the KTM 1190.

They had Unifilters sent to them for evaluation and approval in mid 2013. They have had over 20 "trashed engines" to repair. The resale value of all KTM 1190's is affected because of the issue. But KTM have not officially "approved" the Unifilter or issued a service notice to date. Why KTM have not done this - after over a year of repairing and replacing engines - is a complete mystery to me, and I guess to "FilterMan" (the owner of Uniflow who manufactures the Unifilter) and all owners with trashed engines as well. I feel for you guys. I delayed purchasing an 1190 because of this issue, and I only bought my own 1190R after correspondence with several owners who assured me that the Unifilter solution was working perfectly. I was accused on this forum of "making a mountain out of a molehill" at the time, and I'm damned glad I did.

In the mean time KTM have in some countries promoted the DNA filter, and the newly introduced PowerParts "stockings", costing more than the Unifilter. The DNA filter does not work because there is no flexible seal for the top of the airbox. Without the Unifilter flexible gasket, the box cover still lets in dust when the airbox flexes when it gets hot and/ or when the self-tapping screws lose their grip in the plastic.

The only KTM manager to date who appears to have common sense about this issue is Greg Chambers, KTM Australia, who has "approved" the Unifilter for use in the Australian market.

Come on KTM Austria, KTM UK, KTM USA and KTM Africa, when are you going to solve this problem once and for all?

RobZorba screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 03:08 PM
RobZorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #233
chadscamaro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Well said and I said same thing to Brian at KTM about the gasket and its like they don't want to even talk about it. They will not stand behind the uni filter that much I do know same thing don't want to talk about it.
chadscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #234
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Surely if the DNA filter was the solution on the air box woes KTM Australia would have reccomended that a not the unifilter.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #235
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,251
Ktm USA is a joke

They don't give a shit. They keep telling people they know nothing about it . Effing joke .
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #236
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
They don't give a shit. They keep telling people they know nothing about it . Effing joke .
How can they keep telling people they know nothing about the problem...surely this thread, and others, serve as evidence that a number of people have seen dust in thier airbox and have contacted KTM directly about the issue?

Has anyone tried counting the number of inmates that have called KTM directly with this issue and presented these numbers to KTM when they next call. Surely that has to stop the 'we don't know anything' response?

How about one inmate set themselves up as home base; each inmate that calls KTM directly and complains then sends a PM to home base with their name, time of the call and the response recieved. Once home base has a decent number of logged calls he calls and lets KTM know there is a central database recording all the information. Pretty soon the 'we dont know anything' excuse will become invalid.
motomuppet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #237
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,251
My friends answer from Ktm

"Fay Myers is done with their testing and talking to KTM. I am to take two aspirin and call them in the morning.

They did the leak down test and the compression test as requested by KTM. Sent them the results. Supposedly the bike is within specifications. Their suggestion: if I'm going to ride in the dirt then I need to buy two other KTM OEM parts for the air cleaner, neither one addressing the problem of air leakage between the haves of the airbox. I guess they do suggest that I put some grease between the two halves.

So I can order those $130 which I did, from someone else. They are out of stock and hope to have them in a month.

So I guess Fay Myers Is going to put my bike back together tomorrow and give it back to me.

So I guess the answer to owning the world's greatest most advanced serious dirtbike is to NOT RIDE IT IN THE DIRT. "

Cool huh. No oil change no nothing.

As I said Ktm USA does not give a shit. Something needs to be done to give Ktm a black eye. Don't know what it is ( bad press at Moto mags, law suit, blah blah)
People should not have to fit something aftermarket to a bike now for 1.5 years to use the bike for it's intended purpose. And to top it off we get a year less warranty coverage here in the US

Love the bike the company sucks

ebrew screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 08:19 PM
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #238
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
How can they keep telling people they know nothing about the problem...surely this thread, and others, serve as evidence that a number of people have seen dust in thier airbox and have contacted KTM directly about the issue?

Has anyone tried counting the number of inmates that have called KTM directly with this issue and presented these numbers to KTM when they next call. Surely that has to stop the 'we don't know anything' response?

How about one inmate set themselves up as home base; each inmate that calls KTM directly and complains then sends a PM to home base with their name, time of the call and the response recieved. Once home base has a decent number of logged calls he calls and lets KTM know there is a central database recording all the information. Pretty soon the 'we dont know anything' excuse will become invalid.
Actually...how can KTM USA claim to know nothing about the airbox issue, and say the Unifilter voids the warranty when KTM Australia is prepared to provide the Unifilter to customers as a fix for the shitty airbox/filter design!?!?

It is illogical captain.
motomuppet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #239
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
Actually...how can KTM USA claim to know nothing about the airbox issue, and say the Unifilter voids the warranty when KTM Australia is prepared to provide the Unifilter to customers as a fix for the shitty airbox/filter design!?!?

It is illogical captain.
The emperor's new clothes...
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 AM   #240
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfuddy View Post
KTM USA called me back today. Stated there's no documented issue with the air box, but if I was concerned I was to order the dust protector for the snorkels and a DNA filter.

Received notification the Uni has been shipped so it should be here in the next few days. Bike still parked and disappointed KTM USA still won't acknowledge the issue. But, looking forward to flogging her hard when the Uni gets here and putting this issue behind me.
seems they regard your country as "dust-free"
Attached Images

Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote