ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #241
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
"Fay Myers is done with their testing and talking to KTM. I am to take two aspirin and call them in the morning.

They did the leak down test and the compression test as requested by KTM. Sent them the results. Supposedly the bike is within specifications. Their suggestion: if I'm going to ride in the dirt then I need to buy two other KTM OEM parts for the air cleaner, neither one addressing the problem of air leakage between the haves of the airbox. I guess they do suggest that I put some grease between the two halves.

So I can order those $130 which I did, from someone else. They are out of stock and hope to have them in a month.

So I guess Fay Myers Is going to put my bike back together tomorrow and give it back to me.

So I guess the answer to owning the world's greatest most advanced serious dirtbike is to NOT RIDE IT IN THE DIRT. "

Cool huh. No oil change no nothing.

As I said Ktm USA does not give a shit. Something needs to be done to give Ktm a black eye. Don't know what it is ( bad press at Moto mags, law suit, blah blah)
People should not have to fit something aftermarket to a bike now for 1.5 years to use the bike for it's intended purpose. And to top it off we get a year less warranty coverage here in the US

Love the bike the company sucks
bomb their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/KTMRacing
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #242
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
seems they regard your country as "dust-free"
Nice of KTMSA....I have been chatting to Franziska this week AGAIN about all the crap I'm having with fixes coming MONTHS to late but months of denial are quick and easy. Still have a MTC/ABS failure and a cold start issue....the rest they tell me if fixed...so no solution but I have an attorney now who had his 1190 replaced after he threatened legal action due to NON COMPLIANCE of the product KTM, in short their advertised product does not perform as stated so the CPA clause 55 can be used to get your money back or a new bike. He sold the new replacement 1190 and just took delivery of a new GSA 1200.

To date I've had ONE notice via email in 12 months from the dealer as to recalls, my recalled keys, being done now only, around 10months late....KTM...airbox, reading what the USA and Oz are experiencing, I asked about this LAST YEAR...KTM, nothing....blown or damaged engines...PLENTY in South Africa but their notice they sending out comes across as they are helping us...KTM, when you sell kak fix your kak and don't tell us about your 'initiatives'...

KTM...SUX IT UP, fix your problems, be proactive and COMMUNICATE globally don't sit and wait till enough customers complain or...is your new Asian market so big now that to HELL with the small number of high end sales you have....????....
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #243
jetdocX
Orange Curious

Oddometer: 703
My Airbox

I got my Unifilter a few days ago. So I snapped a few shots of the dust inside my brand-new "redesigned, fixed by KTM" airbox. After a couple hundred miles in the not-so-dusty Mendocino NF:

As you can see, the airbox is far from airtight.

Another disturbing discovery: No rubber gasket between the throttle bodies and the airbox. I rectified that with some blue RTV. I definitely recommend you guys do this next time you're in there. This is also a good place for Hylomar.

I'm sending these pics to my dealer and KTM USA.

The airbox has apparently been designed by some n00b engineer right out of school with no real-world experience. Just my opinion.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #244
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

I went to Trax KTM in silver lakes pretoria. I asked the main guy in the workshop if they would do a compression test for me and do the service. They said yes they would and if they do find trouble I believe they will help me. Unlike Ultimate performance who just adjust valves.

I hope I get help from them, even though its not their actual problem as they didnt sell me the bike. Very friendly service and very impressed.

Will post results
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #245
chadscamaro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Should have my bike back next week and the dna kit is supposed to come with grease to seal airbox ?? Doesn't sounds real great. I was told that if a UNI is properly installed that it will not void any warranty with them at least with KTM North America is concerned. I mentioned I may put a uni in as I just do not want to go through this all again but so far they are taking care of everything even new cylinders to be safe along with the new off road air filter kit with grease. and will be doing first service again since motor will be new.
chadscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #246
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
I hope everyone who even thinks they have a problem is taking the time to go here,,, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ Pictures are worth 1000 words..

Most of the investigation is triggered by percentages, KTM would come off bad on that data point.

If you don't make the wheel squeak no oil will be given..

BTW, there is also a case to be made that the failing of the air filter assembly is part of the emission system, which in the US has an extended recourse time on most vehicles.. Of course that would mean no canisterectomy until the warrantee is up.. But it would also mean 2 federal agencies on their ass.. in this case more might be better.. Slippery slope dontcha know?
Old 05-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #247
BlueDownton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
All Good (thank goodness)

Really glad I was patient. All good in the box (sorry, can't get pic to upload even though it 1200x1600), uni now in place, time to ride with confidence (knock on wood). Will check in around 300 or so miles or so and give update. Starting to love sport and dirt mode. Now just a rear knobby is needed. Best to all.
BlueDownton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:06 AM   #248
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
I hope everyone who even thinks they have a problem is taking the time to go here,,, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ Pictures are worth 1000 words..

Most of the investigation is triggered by percentages, KTM would come off bad on that data point.

If you don't make the wheel squeak no oil will be given..

BTW, there is also a case to be made that the failing of the air filter assembly is part of the emission system, which in the US has an extended recourse time on most vehicles.. Of course that would mean no canisterectomy until the warrantee is up.. But it would also mean 2 federal agencies on their ass.. in this case more might be better.. Slippery slope dontcha know?

You spot on and if people including myself, did not bitch and take on KTM on a weekly bases, then for sure most of these "recalls" would NEVER have been done. Best are those who say they have no problems bar the recall replacements, that means you have a great dealer who is proactive but don't think your KTM is "special"...it will have the same crap as every other KTM build on the SAME production line by the SAME people...just depends if you technically blind and or have a great dealer.

KTM fitted my bike with a DNA, I will remove it when I get home and see if my airbox is ACTUALLY spotless and if the filter is fitted correctly, if not then pics off to KTM and in goes a Uni-Filter.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:56 AM   #249
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

Yeah I have the DNA filter fitted now. I will go and do some more dusty riding before they do a compression test on the motor to see if this filter actually works. Now I just need someone I can chase around on gravel.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #250
Arreola
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I finally got the chance to talk to my dealers general manager and customer service manager here in Mexico.
They told me that they have been talking to the guys in Austria and the Unifilter manufacturer in Australia to see if they can work some deal and offer the same system as a original replacement. Don't know how reliable is the information, you know that they will tell you what you want to hear when you are a potential customer.

Also they told me that installing the Unifilter will not void the warranty and they agree to install it prior to the delivery free of charge.
I'm also in the negotiation with them to get the extended warranty for free with the purchase.

I will order the parts some time next week and wait to get the parts here in Mexico before I purchase the bike.

Will keep you all posted on how this story will end.
Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk
Arreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #251
robmeoff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Unifilter

Was a block from my Dealer on Friday when he txt telling me he had my unifilter in his hand. Went straight around and picked it up.
Thanks KTM Oz.
Only problem was I had to tell my dealer what was going on which he then followed up with. not a good look for KTM when their dealers are not aware of what is happening(Not my dealers fault at all, he is very proactive and helpful)
Old 05-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #252
NoSpam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Thanks Gents - ordered today from UniFilter: $75 USA versus Touratech's $100...but maybe I'm not cool enough for Touratech!
NoSpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #253
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmeoff View Post
Was a block from my Dealer on Friday when he txt telling me he had my unifilter in his hand. Went straight around and picked it up.
Thanks KTM Oz.
Only problem was I had to tell my dealer what was going on which he then followed up with. not a good look for KTM when their dealers are not aware of what is happening(Not my dealers fault at all, he is very proactive and helpful)
Im from Canberra, the first thing that KTM Australia should have done
is send an email or letter to all KTM dealers, informing them of the situation of the air filter assembly defect.

This would help the dealers to have advance knowledge, and help them to speak with 1190 owners, letting them know what to expect.
Anyhow my delaer has been very good and my Unifiler was installed by them at 7,500Km's.

The bike has been superb and has 8,500Km's its the 2014 EDS version.
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #254
MunK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I got my 2014 1190r three weeks ago. I've put about 1000 miles on it so far, mostly pavement.

After reading this thread I decided to order a uni filter. It got here today so I learned how to check the airbox. Not to difficult just alot of screws. I thought there would be some dust but it was shiny clean, like new clean!

So I have decided to keep it stock to see if mine is one of the good ones I plan on checking it after a dusty ride and if it fails I'll install the Uni. Mostly curious to see if the stock set up works or not.

I love this bike!
MunK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:02 AM   #255
boulder
jersey boy

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunK View Post
I got my 2014 1190r three weeks ago. I've put about 1000 miles on it so far, mostly pavement.

After reading this thread I decided to order a uni filter. It got here today so I learned how to check the airbox. Not to difficult just alot of screws. I thought there would be some dust but it was shiny clean, like new clean!

So I have decided to keep it stock to see if mine is one of the good ones I plan on checking it after a dusty ride and if it fails I'll install the Uni. Mostly curious to see if the stock set up works or not.

I love this bike!
I would put the uni in now if you have one, waiting for it to fail will mean more than a simple filter change!! Could be a top end rebuild at least if motor is dusted.