Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #46
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadscamaro View Post
Im worried as well just pulled my airbox to see this. Ordered uni filter kit from dealer couple weeks ago hasnt showed yet.
The more I look at this the more upset I get. I hope ktm replaces the engine. I am calling ktm customer service to complain about the airbox. The number for usa off their website is 440-985-3553. I suggest everyone does the same.
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #47
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,281
I have called Ktm USA

In the past about a few things going on with this bike and they always act as it's the first time they have ever heard of it. I hope this is not the case with the air box . Cold start issues and new cables being released over seas but not here

Huh ?
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #48
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Thumb KTM Good News from Australia

G'day Guys

I have spoken with the warranty man Craig **** of KTM Australia.

I expressed my concern to him concerning the airbox issue with the 2013 and 2014 models.
He has informed me that within two weeks KTM Australia is sending letters to all 1190 owners informing them that they will supply Unifilters at their cost, for all bikes including the R model.

The owners will need to pay for the install.

He also wanted the name of my bike shop contact in my town, to send the filter overnight to them.

I explained that my bike is going in on Friday to have an unscheduled 7,500Km oil+filter change, and perform wiring harness update.

The filter will be there by Friday.

He also mentioned that Australia have sent a letter/email to KTM factory informing them about the issues about the air box.

KTM have a full and comprehensive knowledge of this problem, however what they will do world wide is yet to be seen.

For Australian riders this is a positive step, acknowledging the problem, then doing something for the customer to correct the problem.
Im very happy with this approach

I hope this is also the case for all other countries, yet to be seen and felt
by the riders.

I have now set up a good relationship with not only Greg Chambers of KTM, as he forwarded me to speak with Craig warrany man.
Craig phoned me and was polite and professional and fully in the know about the air box...

I told him that i love riding the 1190, he wanted to hug me, just kidding
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:27 AM   #49
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I bought a unifilter on day 1. Do I get $70 worth of other goodies? Or maybe I just get a second kit?
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:39 AM   #50
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
Same. $70 shop credit works for me.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:05 AM   #51
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

https://www.facebook.com/Ktm1190AdventureProblems

And the first sign of trouble I had was that the mechanic tried to blow it off as a valve clearance setting issue. And in South africa we are being told that the warranty will be affected by fitting a unifilter, thus voiding the warranty. Now I am sorry but this is fucking pathetic. And the best part of all is that every dealer has a different story
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 AM   #52
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
KTM Australia have been pretty supportive though what I regard as an badly handled embarrassment for KTM. The image put forward by KTM is a hardcore (hate that word) adventure tourer tearing up dirt roads and rough tracks with dust flying everywhere. The reality is that if you actually do this without modification to the filtration system, you will likely damage the engine sooner or later.

Maybe KTM figured that we would all buy the bikes and park them at Starbucks to drive the GS owners orange with envy (this does actually work in my experience ), and no-one would actually ride them in dust as per the video. Otherwise I cant for the life of me understand why KTM just didnt come clean (bad pun I know) and fix the problem before the warranty claims started to roll in. It just seems like a very poor business decision.

My 1190 seems to only be held together by my love for it sometimes.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 AM   #53
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
I have spoken with the warranty man Craig **** of KTM Australia. I expressed my concern to him concerning the airbox issue with the 2013 and 2014 models. He has informed me that within two weeks KTM Australia is sending letters to all 1190 owners informing them that they will supply Unifilters at their cost, for all bikes including the R model. ... KTM have a full and comprehensive knowledge of this problem, however what they will do world wide is yet to be seen. ... For Australian riders this is a positive step, acknowledging the problem, then doing something for the customer to correct the problem. Im very happy with this approach
Great news from KTM Australia, I hope the enlightened approach from Greg Chambers becomes official KTM policy elsewhere.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #54
2wheelfool
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Happy to hear about the news in Australia.

Took my bike to the dealer today (a three hour drive one way) with the understanding that my bike was to have the valves checked as well as a leak/compression test.

Got a call from the dealer shortly after I dropped off the bike (I had gone to get some lunch) stating KTM did not agree with the idea to test the bike. So, the dealer snapped some photographs of the throttle bodies/plates and called it a day. They forwarded the photos to KTM. I had taken photos when I opened the airbox and stated the fact when I made the appointment with the dealer.

I told the dealer that I had brought a Unifilter along with me (which I had previously purchased). They wanted nothing to do with it, claiming aftermarket liability to the warranty. However, they did say KTM recommends I purchase their replacement air filter as well as the dust cover for the ram air. The dust cover runs $64 and the air filter (although KTM has created a part number) does not have a price as of yet. So, here I wait.....

Amazing! I've spent a tank of gas and a good part of a day only to have to give KTM more $$!

So, I've got about 7 months left on the warranty to hope for some issue to show or not to show up with the motor. Not what I expected on my most expensive motorcycle purchase to date.

The dealer's manager stated KTM "does their customers right." I don't know, perhaps my perception is skewed, but this doesn't feel "right" to me.
2wheelfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #55
WickedKTM
Lost

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
I bought a unifilter on day 1. Do I get $70 worth of other goodies? Or maybe I just get a second kit?
X2 - well see I guess
WickedKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #56
Ossie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I put a Uni Filter in mine after finding a lite amount of dust getting past the filter. I have only ridden on the street. The freeways around Houston have a lot of sand blowing around.

I looked really hard at mine to see where the air leak was at. What I discovered was the stock air filter frame is very flimsy unlike the uni filter having a hard plastic frame all around the perimeter. The bracket that swings in to hold the filter in place, only presses on part of the filter. This allowed dust to leak past the frame of the stock filter, mainly across part of the bottom. I could see dust in this area on the dirty side of the seal blown past to the clean side.

Hopefully the uni filters strong frame gives a good seal all around.

Technically the filter retention bracket was a very poor design. Anybody who has had the filter out knows you cannot view the bottom of the filter to verify if you have a good seal. Uni filter was smart to recommend a thin film of grease around the plastic frame.

In my opinion KTM needs to redesign this whole box.

Every new car or truck I buy gets inspected for air intake leaks. Over the years I have found some really sloppy engineering allowing dust to get into the clean side of the air inlet due to sensors or joints leaking. These items are mostly mounted on the clean side.
Ossie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #57
RobZorba
RobZorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelfool View Post
Happy to hear about the news in Australia.

Took my bike to the dealer today (a three hour drive one way) with the understanding that my bike was to have the valves checked as well as a leak/compression test.

Got a call from the dealer shortly after I dropped off the bike (I had gone to get some lunch) stating KTM did not agree with the idea to test the bike. So, the dealer snapped some photographs of the throttle bodies/plates and called it a day. They forwarded the photos to KTM. I had taken photos when I opened the airbox and stated the fact when I made the appointment with the dealer.

I told the dealer that I had brought a Unifilter along with me (which I had previously purchased). They wanted nothing to do with it, claiming aftermarket liability to the warranty. However, they did say KTM recommends I purchase their replacement air filter as well as the dust cover for the ram air. The dust cover runs $64 and the air filter (although KTM has created a part number) does not have a price as of yet. So, here I wait.....

Amazing! I've spent a tank of gas and a good part of a day only to have to give KTM more $$!

So, I've got about 7 months left on the warranty to hope for some issue to show or not to show up with the motor. Not what I expected on my most expensive motorcycle purchase to date.

The dealer's manager stated KTM "does their customers right." I don't know, perhaps my perception is skewed, but this doesn't feel "right" to me.
No, it's not right. The treatment you received was disgraceful. It's been going on too long, for over 18 months. KTM USA need a kick in the ass with a class action suit against them for failure to deliver a product that works as described. You are being pissed on by the KTM USA distributor. Why don't USA inmates take collective action? Why not kick this off yourself by writing a letter of complaint to the national distributor, get it signed by as many USA owners / inmates as you can contact via this forum, and also copy the letter to all USA motorcycle magazine publishers?

The French KTM 1190 owners took collective action, some problems were fixed for them and owners who purchased in 2013 got a free 1 year warranty extension. But the air intake problem is not yet resolved.

RobZorba screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 01:22 AM
RobZorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #58
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,281
Call Ktm

If people start calling over and over they might get a hint

The number is up above ( leave a message and they do call back) don't just hang up if they don't answer. Dont talk to you're dealer call right to the top here in the USA

Air box, " heat issue " cold start problem. I know is getting warmer but my bike is a bitch to get started when it gets cold. And it will get cold outside. I was told to use thinner oil when I called. Over seas people are getting larger cables

And that's a start. Someone with air box issues should put a letter ( with Picts together) sent to to Moto mags or all of them and let them know what's going on for years now ) Bad press might get Ktm to listen. I fitted the uni months ago before I even ran the bike but people should not have to add this product to protect the motor. I understand wanting to upgrade a bike for enjoyment but it should not be required. It needs a new air box

What I find really funny is Ktm in the 2014 power parts catalog is they started offering a dust sock for the air tubes. Again a stupid bandaid for the real problem. I can see the use for them on long trips ( pull on and off ) to keep the main filter clean longer

Buttt

ebrew screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 05:56 AM
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #59
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
if people start calling over and over they might get a hint

the number is up above ( leave a message and they do call back) don't just hang up if they don't answer. Dont talk to you're dealer call right to the top here in the usa

air box, " heat issue " cold start problem. I know is getting warmer but my bike is a bitch to get started when it gets cold. And it will get cold outside. I was told to use thinner oil when i called. Over seas people are getting larger cables

and that's a start. Someone with air box issues should put a letter ( with picts together) sent to to moto mags or all of them and let them know what's going on for years now ) bad press might get ktm to listen. I fitted the uni months ago before i even ran the bike but people should not have to add this product to protect the motor. I understand wanting to upgrade a bike for enjoyment but it should not be required. It needs a new air box
+1
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #60
RobZorba
RobZorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenstop
Someone with air box issues should put a letter ( with picts together) sent to to moto mags or all of them and let them know what's going on for years now ) bad press might get ktm to listen. I fitted the uni months ago before i even ran the bike but people should not have to add this product to protect the motor. I understand wanting to upgrade a bike for enjoyment but it should not be required. It needs a new air box
This is happening in Europe, letters have been sent for publication in the moto mags.
If inmates in USA decide to contact KTM North America, here are the contact details:

The man at the top: Jon Eric Burleson
KTM-North America Inc.
1119 Milan Avenue
Amherst, Ohio 44001
Customer Service Phone: 440-985-3553
A recorded delivery letter, quoting your VBK and delivery reference number, and followed up by a phone call requesting to speak with Jon Eric Burleson is likely to get better results than just phoning up out of the blue.

Key issues and suggested remedy:
  • Airbox / filter - KTM USA to supply and fit the Unifilter under warranty.
  • Starter / battery - KTM USA to supply the new main cables under warranty, i.e. the ones being fitted to all owners' bikes in RoW.
  • Cooking legs - KTM USA to remedy by supplying and fitting e.g. Wings heat shield under warranty.
  • Welcome pack - Owners in RoW get a welcome pack and owner registration / warranty card. KTM USA to remedy this for all USA owners.
  • Customer communications - KTM USA to ensure web site "service support" section lists all reported issues and remedies affecting reliability.
  • Reputation and support - KTM USA to appoint a service engineer to monitor AdvRider forum "Orange Crush" section, and respond in the forum on issues of general concern to USA-based owners.