Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #586
DigDeep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnS View Post
Hi guys. I haven't pulled the filter yet... Have 5000km's on my 2014 and thinking I will get the dealer to do the work as I'll be putting it in for service again soon. Has anyone tried the k&n filter (or DNA)? Does it fit correctly / solve the dirt in the air box issue?

I am using just the foam gasket from the UNI filter kit.
The OEM filter works fine as long as it is installed correctly. If you don't put it in right and make sure the bottom is seated properly it can easily lift and let dirty air by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DigDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #587
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 60,501
anyone know where I can find the UNI in stock ??

PB
Old 06-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #588
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Butt View Post
anyone know where I can find the UNI in stock ??

PB

Been a couple weeks but CJ designs had a bunch at the time
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/about-us...ir-filter-kit/

Probably best to call Craig just to make sure before ordering.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #589
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 60,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Been a couple weeks but CJ designs had a bunch at the time
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/about-us...ir-filter-kit/

Probably best to call Craig just to make sure before ordering.
thanks

PB
Old 06-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #590
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 75
Well the mystery is solved.
After doing 2 days in the dirt I pulled my air box to find dirt and dust coating the airbox and stacks, like so many others with the new 2014 Adv. R and the S.
After 5 days trying to make contact with KTM customer service I finally got one of their customer service experts to call me back. He had no knowledge of any problems with the 1190 advís. I sent him pictures and he authorized a leak down test, which came out at 2% on the front cylinder and 3% on the rear cylinder. Which I take to be a good result.
He informed me it was my fault and that I was supposed to take measures before going off road. I ask if he could provide me with a list of what KTM felt were the measures that should be taken. He informed me that they did not have any list, but I was supposed to prepare the bike for off road.
I guess they forgot to mention this in all the ad campaigns and literature they have produced in the process of marketing this bike.
So let it be know, itís your fault not KTM.
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #591
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,271
A good year and a half

And still Ktm does nothing ( and they will do nothing)
Leak down tests for all woo hoo
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #592
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadscamaro View Post
Update- engine torn down will need Pistons,rings,valves,etc. basically I was in shock and didn't hear the rest!! Waiting to hear what ktm tells dealer. If they rebuild I want extra warranty for sure but will prob pull for new engine. Nightmare continues and sounds like ktm IS shaking their head at the UNi filter that may actually void your warranty as stated by people before.
KTM South Africa have extended the warranty by 12 months, they will not admit why but we as customers know. They fitting the DNA now free and my dealer is also fitting the Uni but at your cost with NO effect on the warranty as these are dirt bike people who race and live dirt...Uni works and FFS don't listen to the 20hp drop in power.

I removed KTMSA DNA shyte and fitted the Uni then I KNOW, the lid is sealed and the foam will stop any shyte coming in unlike the single race filter KTMSA are fitting and no lid seal.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #593
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDsurf View Post
After doing 2 days in the dirt I pulled my air box to find dirt and dust coating the airbox and stacks, like so many others with the new 2014 Adv. R and the S.
After 5 days trying to make contact with KTM customer service I finally got one of their customer service experts to call me back. He had no knowledge of any problems with the 1190 advís. I sent him pictures and he authorized a leak down test, which came out at 2% on the front cylinder and 3% on the rear cylinder. Which I take to be a good result.
He informed me it was my fault and that I was supposed to take measures before going off road. I ask if he could provide me with a list of what KTM felt were the measures that should be taken. He informed me that they did not have any list, but I was supposed to prepare the bike for off road.
I guess they forgot to mention this in all the ad campaigns and literature they have produced in the process of marketing this bike.
COMPLETE bs
CaliBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #594
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDsurf View Post
This post is single handedly pushing me very hard away from this brand. What a bunch of fucking arseholes. No other bike manufacturer I know of has ever said this to customers. KTM's ADVENTURE bike that was portrayed in adverts as going across the dessert at speed needs to be specially prepared before going off the pavement.

WTF
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #595
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrift View Post
This post is single handedly pushing me very hard away from this brand. What a bunch of fucking arseholes. No other bike manufacturer I know of has ever said this to customers. KTM's ADVENTURE bike that was portrayed in adverts as going across the dessert at speed needs to be specially prepared before going off the pavement.

WTF
Judging by your location you should stick more to the post below than to the one you quoted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
KTM South Africa have extended the warranty by 12 months, they will not admit why but we as customers know. They fitting the DNA now free and my dealer is also fitting the Uni but at your cost with NO effect on the warranty as these are dirt bike people who race and live dirt...Uni works and FFS don't listen to the 20hp drop in power.

I removed KTMSA DNA shyte and fitted the Uni then I KNOW, the lid is sealed and the foam will stop any shyte coming in unlike the single race filter KTMSA are fitting and no lid seal.
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 AM   #596
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrift View Post

WTF

You wasting your time...just do what I'm doing, book a test on the GSA...see what it's like and go from there.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 AM   #597
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 393
With all the BS and lies from KTM USA, isn't it time the USA-based inmates started a class action suit, based on "product not fit for the purpose sold" - i.e. "Adventure Bike" advertized as off-road and dirt capable? There's adequate evidence of BS and lies from KTM USA posted all over this forum, and @TDSurf@ has just encountered the latest of many.

Having said this, not every part of the KTM organization is as bad as KTM USA and the equally bad KTM UK. For example KTM AU, KTM SA and KTM EU seem to be quite responsible in resolving manufacturing problems /defects.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #598
coloktmGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Robzorba et al...jeez...class action lawsuit? Are you f--ing kidding me? All I ever see you post about is others problems with this bike. Yes, there are a few issues just like almost every new model delivered. But instead of sticking a $80 unifilter in the bike which fixes the problem and riding, you all get on here and carp about suing the company. Ever wonder why we have dwindling options in the marketplace?

I know of one bike first hand who ingested a bunch of dust past the filter and he's getting it fixed, free.

Some of ya'll act like this is the first motorcycle to ever have issues...just ask BMW owners about permanently sealed final drives and f800 wheel bearings.

We're lucky, it's an $80 part that can be user installed and solves the problem. Try that with a final drive taking a shit.

Cut ktm some slack and just put the freaking uni in and go ride...
coloktmGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #599
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
With all the BS and lies from KTM USA, isn't it time the USA-based inmates started a class action suit, based on "product not fit for the purpose sold" - i.e. "Adventure Bike" advertized as off-road and dirt capable? There's adequate evidence of BS and lies from KTM USA posted all over this forum, and @TDSurf@ has just encountered the latest of many.

Having said this, not every part of the KTM organization is as bad as KTM USA and the equally bad KTM UK. For example KTM AU, KTM SA and KTM EU seem to be quite responsible in resolving manufacturing problems /defects.
I know of one attorney that used the Consumer Protection Act here in South Africa and forced KTMSA to replace his 1190R bike due it not performing as advertised....they did and he traded on a new GSA1200LC......so it is happening.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 AM   #600
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloktmGS View Post
Robzorba et al...jeez...class action lawsuit? Are you f--ing kidding me? All I ever see you post about is others problems with this bike. Yes, there are a few issues just like almost every new model delivered. But instead of sticking a $80 unifilter in the bike which fixes the problem and riding, you all get on here and carp about suing the company. Ever wonder why we have dwindling options in the marketplace?

I know of one bike first hand who ingested a bunch of dust past the filter and he's getting it fixed, free.

Some of ya'll act like this is the first motorcycle to ever have issues...just ask BMW owners about permanently sealed final drives and f800 wheel bearings.

We're lucky, it's an $80 part that can be user installed and solves the problem. Try that with a final drive taking a shit.

Cut ktm some slack and just put the freaking uni in and go ride...
say what? AFAIK our options in large adventure bikes have probably trebled in the past 4 years...

What pisses people off most, I believe, is KTM's ignoring of the facts in many countries
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote