ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #601
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I don't know who "everyone else" has talked to, but the customer service guy I talked to at KTMUSA was great. told me what they thought the problem was (airbox lid) and how to fix it (silicone). Of course I was polite and didn't start demanding anything from them or explaining what I learned on the interwebs either..

sometimes customer service sucks because the customer sucks
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #602
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussboelie View Post
Judging by your location you should stick more to the post below than to the one you quoted.
AFAIK the 2013 gets the extended warranty, I have heard nothing about the 2014. I have not gotten any info on recalls or anything else at all since I got the bike in january. I have asked about buying an extended warranty for an extra few years but they havent contacted me about that since I asked a month ago. I will buy this warranty as long as they will keep repairing my motor. I asked and was told the unifilter voids the warranty here still.

I do not want to work on the bike at all as they could claim I stuffed up the air filter fitment and refuse warranty. I was planning to ride to malawi and so forth from RSA but I can not trust this machine, as wonderful as it is and as awesome as it is, I have lost any and all faith in the bike and in KTM SA. Their refusal to admit that there is an issue points out to me that they are untrustworthy, and dishonest.

Deal soured and case closed in my books.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #603
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloktmGS View Post
Robzorba et al...jeez...class action lawsuit? Are you f--ing kidding me? All I ever see you post about is others problems with this bike. Yes, there are a few issues just like almost every new model delivered. But instead of sticking a $80 unifilter in the bike which fixes the problem and riding, you all get on here and carp about suing the company. Ever wonder why we have dwindling options in the marketplace?

I know of one bike first hand who ingested a bunch of dust past the filter and he's getting it fixed, free.

Some of ya'll act like this is the first motorcycle to ever have issues...just ask BMW owners about permanently sealed final drives and f800 wheel bearings.

We're lucky, it's an $80 part that can be user installed and solves the problem. Try that with a final drive taking a shit.

Cut ktm some slack and just put the freaking uni in and go ride...

Why should we cut KTM any slack? I don't believe that being a guinea pig for any manufacturer is acceptable. I have had 3 r/h engine outer casings on my1190-R replaced due to poor casting processes.

KTM could have sorted the airbox issue at least 8 months ago. There have been numerous 1190 models here in ZA that have failed due to the airbox dust ingress.

Bugger the slack - give them a little smack on the chops!
2014 KTM 1190R
manxkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #604
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrift View Post
I asked and was told the unifilter voids the warranty here still.
Wow, that's harsh. Plain stupid even really...
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #605
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,752
Is it me or is it more of a KTM South Africa problem than a KTM problem? It seems every owner from Africa is having huge issues yet the rest of the world is loving theirs, with the exception of a few cases here and there? I feel bad for everyone who is having problems with theirs but at some point you have to accept its a mechanical device and will have the occasional hiccup. Mine has been pretty much trouble free for 6000 miles and I've been far from gentle on it.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #606
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post

You wasting your time...just do what I'm doing, book a test on the GSA...see what it's like and go from there.

KTM 1190R MSRP $16,700

BMW GSA MSRP $21,500

Selling your KTM because you think BMW is more reliable- PRICELESS.

If you want bullet proof reliability buy Japanese and accept the performance loss. I'm willing to ride a hot rod and accept the increased maintenance.

scudrunner82 screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 08:48 AM
Old 06-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #607
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
If you want bullet proof reliability buy Japanese and accept the performance loss. I'm willing to ride a hot rod and accept the increased maintenance.
this is what it really comes down to. In my opinion KTM is breaking into a market they know little about so the problems are going to show up. Most of their dirtbikes in the past have been the same way but it was just expected and the owners took care of it. can they do better? absolutely! is it a huge problem for me? hell no! fit the Uni, check the fuel filters and fluch the tank, replace the chain guide when you replace the chain/sprockets and enjoy

if that is not your cup of tea buy a BMW or Honda. sure I wish KTM had honda reliability, but I bought it for he performance. maybe I take their "ready to race" marketing a bit more realistically, a race bike requires a lot of attention. always have always will.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #608
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,008
Quote:
Is it me or is it more of a KTM South Africa problem than a KTM problem? It seems every owner from Africa is having huge issues yet the rest of the world is loving theirs, with the exception of a few cases here and there?
They probably don't have a Starbucks to pose at.

Seriously, it sounds like South Africans are using their bikes harder on every ride, in harsher conditions than us Americans do once a year.

Chuckracer screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 09:20 AM
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #609
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
They probably don't have a Starbucks to pose at.

Seriously, it sounds like South Africans are using their bikes harder on every ride, in harsher conditions than us Americans do once a year.
This might be true...

I personally ride about 60% dirt and gravel when I "commute". When I ride for leisure I try to keep it to about 80% dirt and gravel with the odd patch of sand. Its the reason I bought the KTM.

We generally love the bikes, but remember if you break down here in the bush it is generally a big story to try and get the bike back home. If you leave the bike in the bush overnight and walk out you may very well be robbed or shot and your bike stolen. The reality is that most likely the locals will be happy to help you and will be very friendly. But we do have more violent crime than anywhere else that there isnt a civil war going on .

Therefore we expect reliable bikes, or at least good trustworthy service from the people keeping them running. When the dealership blows you off by saying its a valve clearance issue it does touch a very raw nerve.

Maybe I should have bought the 660 tenere and left the fancy stuff alone come to think about it...
Old 06-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #610
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
This might be true...

I personally ride about 60% dirt and gravel when I "commute". When I ride for leisure I try to keep it to about 80% dirt and gravel with the odd patch of sand. Its the reason I bought the KTM.

We generally love the bikes, but remember if you break down here in the bush it is generally a big story to try and get the bike back home. If you leave the bike in the bush overnight and walk out you may very well be robbed or shot and your bike stolen. The reality is that most likely the locals will be happy to help you and will be very friendly. But we do have more violent crime than anywhere else that there isnt a civil war going on .

Therefore we expect reliable bikes, or at least good trustworthy service from the people keeping them running. When the dealership blows you off by saying its a valve clearance issue it does touch a very raw nerve.

Maybe I should have bought the 660 tenere and left the fancy stuff alone come to think about it...

Dirt and gravel roads are totally different than actually riding off road. You don't need a KTM for that. Or maybe you are riding off road too?

Don't worry Chuckracer there is Starbucks in all corners of the earth

In my opinion if you want the best measure of a bike ask how the Aussies like their 1190.

And yes if I lived in South Africa I would want Yamaha reliability too

Old 06-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #611
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

re

Quote:
Dirt and gravel roads are totally different than actually riding off road. You don't need a KTM for that. Or maybe you are riding off road too?

Don't worry Chuckracer there is Starbucks in all corners of the earth

In my opinion if you want the best measure of a bike ask how the Aussies like their 1190.

And yes if I lived in South Africa I would want Yamaha reliability too
Oh I ride offroad, when the rains come down on our farm the guys in landrovers have a hard time getting out to the paved roads, and not just cause they broke down.

I ride into the absolute bush as often as I can, I see offroad as the places where a road bike either does not have enough ground clearance or would break down quickly. I do love riding off road, but for the most part I ride dirt and gravel (would choose off road if I could) the roads I ride are beaten up by trucks. They are corrugated and sandy with ruts and the like.

But off road vs dirt and gravel are beyond the point, I ride unpaved roads where other vehicles ride/drive and thus create dust. I do not see me making it over these roads with a road biased bike (from lack of skill and wear on the bikes), and having had my GSA stolen thought it would be cool to have a KTM, the 150 rabid horses did help my choice. As did the fact that I was planning on travelling through africa with this bike. I cannot break down somewhere in the namib dessert where there is no water, thus my fickle KTM will not ever see those places.

And we dont have starbucks, there are many BMW dealerships with good coffee all around the cities to go visit...

But in all seriousness I try and ride on challenging terrain, these roads are normally far from the towns and if you break down it will take a good 6 hours to get the bike out if you are lucky and the pick up will go in there. Reliability is important.

2wdrift screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 11:25 AM
Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #612
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh I ride offroad, when the rains come down on our farm the guys in landrovers have a hard time getting out to the paved roads, and not just cause they broke down.

I ride into the absolute bush as often as I can, I see offroad as the places where a road bike either does not have enough ground clearance or would break down quickly. I do love riding off road, but for the most part I ride dirt and gravel (would choose off road if I could) the roads I ride are beaten up by trucks. They are corrugated and sandy with ruts and the like.

But off road vs dirt and gravel are beyond the point, I ride unpaved roads where other vehicles ride/drive and thus create dust. I do not see me making it over these roads with a road biased bike (from lack of skill and wear on the bikes), and having had my GSA stolen thought it would be cool to have a KTM, the 150 rabid horses did help my choice. As did the fact that I was planning on travelling through africa with this bike. I cannot break down somewhere in the namib dessert where there is no water, thus my fickle KTM will not ever see those places.

fit the Uni-filter and enjoy. should the bike need warranty work put the stock filter in and play dumb?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #613
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
AFAIK the 2013 gets the extended warranty, I have heard nothing about the 2014. I have not gotten any info on recalls or anything else at all since I got the bike in january. I have asked about buying an extended warranty for an extra few years but they havent contacted me about that since I asked a month ago. I will buy this warranty as long as they will keep repairing my motor. I asked and was told the unifilter voids the warranty here still.

I do not want to work on the bike at all as they could claim I stuffed up the air filter fitment and refuse warranty. I was planning to ride to malawi and so forth from RSA but I can not trust this machine, as wonderful as it is and as awesome as it is, I have lost any and all faith in the bike and in KTM SA. Their refusal to admit that there is an issue points out to me that they are untrustworthy, and dishonest.

Deal soured and case closed in my books.

KTM PE removed the POS DNA filter that KTMSA fitted to my bike, not even started the bike after they fitted it and I had it replaced with a Uni-Filter while it was still at KTM, warranty NOT effected. They just won't fit the "sox" which is fine.

This is the problem, KTM as a business is woefully lacking in direction, each dealership does it's own thing and country to country they do their own thing. Also does not help when KTM shares dealerships with other brands to be more cost effective, just wait for the Chinese/Indian build KTM's coming, I spend ALOT of time in China in the OEM market with new models and factories and KTM can say what they want, their build quality is going to TANK!

As I mentioned to you on another thread, goto BMW, test the new LC and then decide. I've tired the Tiger, Multi and "older" GSA, after my 12months experience with KTM South Africa, I'm booked to test the new LC.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #614
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
[COLOR=orange]

As I mentioned to you on another thread, goto BMW, test the new LC and then decide. I've tired the Tiger, Multi and "older" GSA, after my 12months experience with KTM South Africa, I'm booked to test the new LC.
BMW might give you a job, mate. Youve worked hard enough for them on here.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #615
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
BMW might give you a job, mate. Youve worked hard enough for them on here.
Might be a problem, I'm busy at Mercedes right now...
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote