ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2014, 02:23 AM   #616
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
KTM 1190R MSRP $16,700

BMW GSA MSRP $21,500

Selling your KTM because you think BMW is more reliable- PRICELESS.

If you want bullet proof reliability buy Japanese and accept the performance loss. I'm willing to ride a hot rod and accept the increased maintenance.

Assumption assumptions....scudrunner

Nice to see that going by KTM dealers proactive actions, you now with the 2014, which airbox DOES NOT allow dust in...oh...I mean STILL does, you can now fit a uni filter. ...ok maybe not...ok then DNA...HELL guess depends what country you in and also which dealer you talk to as KTM can't decide themselves what voids the waranty.

But ok..that is just an $80 fix you pay for to fix a KTM defect design...ok...but you can always use orange silicon sealer or the soon to be release POWERPART DUCTAPE...but that is the ONLY problem the 1190 has....um no....12months later and I just had my keys changed...sidestand again ....so that must be it...oh oh...problems with my KTM POWERPARTS luggage now to...imagine if I ride the bike again as KTM have still not found out why my last ride to them, my ABS/MTC failed.....

Ag to hell with it..IT'S A KTM MATE...IT'S ORANGE AND THEY THE BEST, JUST RIDE IT...I would but shyte just keeps on breaking..

Being sarcastic is easy...like being a toss bag.

This is the Airbox thread. ..if you have no problems then why post...if it were not for all the 'bitching' of the owners. ...I would not have HALF my issues sorted as KTM seem to be oblivious to their perfect machine and THAT is where I have a problem with KTM.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #617
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post

Nice to see that going by KTM dealers proactive actions, you now with the 2014, which airbox DOES NOT allow dust in...oh...I mean STILL does, you can now fit a uni filter. ...ok maybe not...ok then DNA...HELL guess depends what country you in and also which dealer you talk to as KTM can't decide themselves what voids the waranty.

But ok..that is just an $80 fix you pay for to fix a KTM defect design...ok...but you can always use orange silicon sealer or the soon to be release POWERPART DUCTAPE...but that is the ONLY problem the 1190 has....um no....12months later and I just had my keys changed...sidestand again ....so that must be it...oh oh...problems with my KTM POWERPARTS luggage now to...imagine if I ride the bike again as KTM have still not found out why my last ride to them, my ABS/MTC failed.....

Ag to hell with it..IT'S A KTM MATE...IT'S ORANGE AND THEY THE BEST, JUST RIDE IT...I would but shyte just keeps on breaking..

This is the Airbox thread. ..if you have no problems then why post...if it were not for all the 'bitching' of the owners. ...I would not have HALF my issues sorted as KTM seem to be oblivious to their perfect machine and THAT is where I have a problem with KTM.

Actually you're right, I agree you should buy a BMW.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #618
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 490
Fitted the Uni at 700 miles when there was a very light dusting. Inspected it this weekend at 2700 miles and found the left side intake snake crumpled up again the Uni in the box. The stacks were clean. Removed the (very clean) snakes and I'm back on the road.

As an aside, best avoid pinching the fuel tank vent line when replacing the tank. D'oh.
NewToMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #619
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:

Blue, if you're obviously that unhappy sell ! Buy something that you'll be happy with. Move on to another brand.
Really sorry you've had the issues with your airbox , etc and ktmsa but the constant whining here does not fix the problem
nor add anything we know about your issue many pages back. Frankly, its old.
Ktm has handled the problem poorly and your not happy with the DNA the fix they offered.
Address the issue to Your satisfaction cause your not going to get that from ktm or move on.
Life is too short, make yourself happy.

Non of us are happy about the airbox situation but we have addressed the issue and are very happy with the bike including me.
Good luck

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #620
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 76
Hi fellow inmates, My 1190 R is the first KTM I have owned and Adventure Rider has been a great source of information for me, being that the dealers and the head office in the US appear to have no understanding of what is going on with their wonder bike. Donít get me wrong I love this bike, but it has some problems. I get the feeling there are a number of inmates that are die hard KTMers bleeding Orange who feel we are a bunch of babies wining about our problems.
If you are blessed enough to own an 1190 with no problems, Iím truly happy for you, but there are many of us who actually own 1190 who do have issues with this bike and KTM. This seems to be the only place we can go and exchange our experiences with each other.
Yes, we sound a little winey to you hard core KTM guys, especially if you donít own an 1190. I can only speak for myself, but this was a big perches, my first new bike, and I truly thought KTM would have worked out many of the problems we are facing. SO PLEASE CUT US A LITTLE SLACK, IF YOU HAVE INFORMATION THAT MAY BE HELPFUL OR INFORMATIVE, IíM SURE WE WOULD ALL LOVE TO HEAR IT. Giving us sht for being frustrated with KTM and the problems we are experiencing is not helpful.
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #621
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
It's understandable, if you came from one of the Japanese brands KTM definitely sucks reliability and customer service wise. While I am a pretty die hard KTM fan I am not out of touch with reality. The best way I can describe it is that a KTM is 90% "ready to race" when you get it. the other 10% is up to you. Most of the advice you will find here is how to fix the problem YOURSELF, not how to get KTM to fix the problem.
it is nothing new, older 300's needed a #7 slide to get them to run right, 990's needed a water pump, etc, etc. the 1190 needs a Uni-filter, check the fuel filters, and pay attention to chain adjustment. those few items "should" result in a great experience.
continually whining about "why doesn't KTM do this or that" accomplishes nothing. they are great bikes if you are mechanically inclined. if not you are better off without one.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #622
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
blue, if you're obviously that unhappy sell ! Buy something that you'll be happy with. Move on to another brand.
Really sorry you've had the issues with your airbox , etc and ktmsa but the constant whining here does not fix the problem
nor add anything we know about your issue many pages back. Frankly, its old.
Ktm has handled the problem poorly and your not happy with the dna the fix they offered.
Address the issue to your satisfaction cause your not going to get that from ktm or move on.
Life is too short, make yourself happy.

Non of us are happy about the airbox situation but we have addressed the issue and are very happy with the bike including me.
Good luck

+1
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #623
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
I knew South Africa was known for its wine, but it seems like it should be known more for its whine.
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #624
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
I knew South Africa was known for its wine, but it seems like it should be known more for its whine.
It is beginning to look like it yes hahahaha

It would probably be less whiny if we could be out on our bikes

Like I have said before, the bike is awesome and the flaws acceptable. The after sales service sucks. Until my warranty expires I am stuck with them
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #625
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Thumb

It's quite frankly good to se both South African and Australian offroaders posting their 1190 series experiences here. Their harsh environment usage will bring the weak points up into daylight faster and more obvious than other environments. The KTM marketing hype needs to be adressed where deserved. I've also experienced better service and followup from my BMW workshop than from two certain KTM workshops.

These two manufacturers have obvious differences in local dealership qualities here in Norway. The sheer facts we see of differences and customer attitudes between the different international KTM import businesses are quite serious.
It appears certain national KTM importers have had problems recognizing the sheer volume of faulty airboxes on the 1190 series. Not good at all.

This goes beyond the normal failure rates on a new bike series - especially since this has also happened to at least one Norwegian 1190 R last year - which prompted the owner to swap the 1190 for a 990 R instead - awaiting a proper redesign from KTM.
At least one Finnish 1190 R has also had dust ingestion issues. This all boils down to the issue of KTM service levels towards a new and more service-demanding customer base.

There's no way KTM will capture potensial R1200GS market segments with the 1190 series if their international service units are not more up to the task.
Needless to say the initial 1190 series flaws has evoked scepticism in the Norwegian offroad/graveltouring environment towards buying this machine series.

I love the design concept and will get an 1190 R further downstream, but from what I read here and see from certain Norwegian dealerships KTM needs to step up their service levels before my hard-earned cash goes that way.

That said I confess the 1190 R is the absolutely most beautifully designed bike I've seen in decades. I'm still a potensial customer - slobbering over a Unifilter kitted R next year or after
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #626
Arreola
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hi all. Can anyone tell me how long did it take to get the filter from Australia to the US?
I place my order on June 20. Received a email 5 days later with a shipping confirmation, but since then I have not heard a thing about the filter nor received a tracking number for the package.
Thanks in advance for the info.

Arreola
Arreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #627
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arreola View Post
Hi all. Can anyone tell me how long did it take to get the filter from Australia to the US?
I place my order on June 20. Received a email 5 days later with a shipping confirmation, but since then I have not heard a thing about the filter nor received a tracking number for the package.
Thanks in advance for the info.

Arreola
10-14 days

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #628
Arreola
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
10-14 days
Thanks pizzaboy. Guess I will have to wait a little longer.
Arreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #629
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
It's quite frankly good to se both South African and Australian offroaders posting their 1190 series experiences here. Their harsh environment usage will bring the weak points up into daylight faster and more obvious than other environments. The KTM marketing hype needs to be adressed where deserved. I've also experienced better service and followup from my BMW workshop than from two certain KTM workshops.

These two manufacturers have obvious differences in local dealership qualities here in Norway. The sheer facts we see of differences and customer attitudes between the different international KTM import businesses are quite serious.
It appears certain national KTM importers have had problems recognizing the sheer volume of faulty airboxes on the 1190 series. Not good at all.

This goes beyond the normal failure rates on a new bike series - especially since this has also happened to at least one Norwegian 1190 R last year - which prompted the owner to swap the 1190 for a 990 R instead - awaiting a proper redesign from KTM.
At least one Finnish 1190 R has also had dust ingestion issues. This all boils down to the issue of KTM service levels towards a new and more service-demanding customer base.

There's no way KTM will capture potensial R1200GS market segments with the 1190 series if their international service units are not more up to the task.
Needless to say the initial 1190 series flaws has evoked scepticism in the Norwegian offroad/graveltouring environment towards buying this machine series.

I love the design concept and will get an 1190 R further downstream, but from what I read here and see from certain Norwegian dealerships KTM needs to step up their service levels before my hard-earned cash goes that way.

That said I confess the 1190 R is the absolutely most beautifully designed bike I've seen in decades. I'm still a potensial customer - slobbering over a Unifilter kitted R next year or after
Agree with you 100%.

People I know that have traded their new 1190R's for new GSA1200LC due to blown motors and problems...and tomorrow I test the new GSA1200LC myself all because KTMSA is unable to support their bikes, proactively.

A vehicle means NOTHING without dealer support and after sale service, KTM is for me is the worst I have ever come across and I work in the OEM industry. They market very well, leaning heavily on their racing pedigree but once you hand over the cash and take the bike, everything falls flat.

If KTM can sort their shyte out and ADMIT they have design issues then ADDRESS them immediately, not 6-12months down the line, I would have no problems however, they do the total opposite and we STILL have airbox issues, steering header bearings coming loose I see again today...etc...going 2 years now.

I say you want an 1190, wait and see what the 2015 brings, see if KTM have sorted their shyte out because they are ruining a great machine.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #630
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Agree with you 100%.

People I know that have traded their new 1190R's for new GSA1200LC due to blown motors and problems...and tomorrow I test the new GSA1200LC myself all because KTMSA is unable to support their bikes, proactively.

A vehicle means NOTHING without dealer support and after sale service, KTM is for me is the worst I have ever come across and I work in the OEM industry. They market very well, leaning heavily on their racing pedigree but once you hand over the cash and take the bike, everything falls flat.

If KTM can sort their shyte out and ADMIT they have design issues then ADDRESS them immediately, not 6-12months down the line, I would have no problems however, they do the total opposite and we STILL have airbox issues, steering header bearings coming loose I see again today...etc...going 2 years now.

I say you want an 1190, wait and see what the 2015 brings, see if KTM have sorted their shyte out because they are ruining a great machine.
+1

But if I am honest I dont expect much change in reliability or after sales service on the 2015/16 models

However if the shoehorn the 1290 superduke motor into it I will probably have no choice but to get the new one...
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote