ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #646
zbob
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Steamboat Springs Co.
Oddometer: 2
Thanks for link mlyamkaw
zbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:56 AM   #647
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercell View Post





.
+1.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #648
coloktmGS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SW MO
Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Because of your help and advice, I was able to buy the 1190 "eyes open" and take proactive action about issues myself so that "touch wood" there have been no serious problems so far.

There's other inmates who are rude, offensive and intolerant. You need to chill out or butt out of these threads.
This is what kills me. Lots of these new owners knew about the air filter prior to purchasing (including RobZorba) and yet still they are in every thread talking about class action lawsuits.

Call powercell, order the uni and fix the problem for $70 and go on...

Instead, we get threads about 'should I buy such a flawed bike', then buy it anyways, then the same people saying 'we should file a class action lawsuit'.

I still think anyone bitching about the air filter incessantly should be issued a v-strom by KTM in trade for this terribly flawed machine we have.

V-Strom: Air filtration nirvana...
coloktmGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #649
PowerCell
SE990R
 
PowerCell's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Kalifornia
Oddometer: 2,144
If you haven't suffered any damage from the factory filter, then I just don't understand what the complaining is about. Is it the $70? On an $18,000 purchase? Hmmm...

You know the factory filters are disposable items. You're supposed to toss them at each service. I have no idea what they cost, but I'd guess somewhere around $20-$30 each. Unlike most bling, the Uni-Filter solves a real-world problem. It costs roughly ~$59 and can be cleaned and re-used for years! Time and again the oiled foam filter has proven to provide much greater flow and protection than paper cartridge filters. So... to sum things up; you'll solve the leaky airbox issue, gain better flow, increase particle filtration, and the whole thing pays for itself in about 2-3 filter services... and supports a company that invests in manufacturing an accessory for a bike we all love to own and ride (Uni-Filter, not me... I hate all you guys... )

Now, short of those unfortunate few that didn't catch the problem in time... why are the rest complaining? The money? Just doesn't add up to me...



.

PowerCell screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 10:15 AM
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #650
dragos
Belzebut
 
dragos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Europe (Romania, Germany, UK)
Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
[...]gain better flow[...]
Why is this getting repeated when measurements showed the exact opposite happening?
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #651
PowerCell
SE990R
 
PowerCell's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Kalifornia
Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
Why is this getting repeated when measurements showed the exact opposite happening?


Leave the socks out.. I do. You can research oil foam vs paper element on your own. You'll find plenty of info on the subject that goes far beyond one individual and a dyno. I personally guaranty it to be a really boring read...

It's important to remember that the Uni-Filter is actually 3 separate filters; the intake socks, the pre-filter and the main filter. If you wanted to do a complete comparison you should run the Uni in all 3 formats. With only the main filter it probably would flow better than stock. With the pre-filter added you might be giving up a couple of ponies, but filtration is much improved and interval services may be limited to just the pre-filter...



.

PowerCell screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 08:30 AM
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #652
dragos
Belzebut
 
dragos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Europe (Romania, Germany, UK)
Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
Leave the socks out.. I do. You can research oil foam vs paper element on your own.
I know what you say. Nothing against foam filters on this side, an I bought an Unifilter that is waiting to be installed at the very first sign of dust.
For now I installed the KTM mesh socks, the KTM PP filter, and greased and duct taped the airbox. We'll see how well that goes.
Quote:
You'll find plenty of info on the subject that goes far beyond one individual and a dyno.
Still, we have a lot of forum talk vs. a single person who actually did technically accurate tests, and his numbers say the Unifilter decreases power (a bit on its own, a lot with the socks). This is no tragedy in itself, but it does make it kind of strange to still hear "flow gains, power increase" etc.
Until there are more tests done, that maybe show different numbers, for me the Uni is decreasing power.
Again, not a problem, and for perfect protection might be worth it.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #653
dragos
Belzebut
 
dragos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Europe (Romania, Germany, UK)
Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
It's important to remember that the Uni-Filter is actually 3 separate filters; the intake socks, the pre-filter and the main filter. If you wanted to do a complete comparison you should run the Uni in all 3 formats. With only the main filter it probably would flow better than stock. With the pre-filter added you might be giving up a couple of ponies, but filtration is much improved and interval services may be limited to just the pre-filter...
That is possible, the tests were done with the pre-filter.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=367
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #654
Dave Funk
talent scout
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 16
mine to

I had 2460 miles on my R and I thought I would have a look. Mine looked bad. The filter I took out was curled up at the bottom and air was going around it at the bottom of the air box. This OEM filter does not look like it is right for this application. Dust had settled on the butterflies and in the air horns. KTM in Austrialia warranted all the bikes there, why not here. Any one with one of these bikes should check the air cleaner immediatly. Some are fighting after the fact for new engines.
Still ongoing issues with the bags. Management wanted to hurry this bike and all accessories out before R and D was done. Now they are back pedaling. KTM is trying my patience.
Dave Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #655
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
That is possible, the tests were done with the pre-filter.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=367
And remember, for the unifilter he kept the airbox unifilter gasket. That closed the airbox tight.

With the paper filter test, air could go through the filter AND the gap between the airbox and airbox lid. I think this becomes and apples and guacomole test.

The unifilter gasket should be there on box scenarios.

But the real issue here is that if you lose 2 ponies now, with a better filter, at least in the long run you are not letting other ponies out of your engine by keeping it dust proof... :-)
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #656
2wdrift OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Pretoria South Africa
Oddometer: 95
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Funk View Post
I had 2460 miles on my R and I thought I would have a look. Mine looked bad. The filter I took out was curled up at the bottom and air was going around it at the bottom of the air box. This OEM filter does not look like it is right for this application. Dust had settled on the butterflies and in the air horns. KTM in Austrialia warranted all the bikes there, why not here. Any one with one of these bikes should check the air cleaner immediatly. Some are fighting after the fact for new engines.
Still ongoing issues with the bags. Management wanted to hurry this bike and all accessories out before R and D was done. Now they are back pedaling. KTM is trying my patience.
Where are you based?

Yeah uhm KTM only adjusted the valves and fitted the DNA filter on my bike. Nothing else, I am testing the DNA now. If the DNA also lets dust through I will get them to give me a new motor.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #657
Bluesilver
Scrat
 
Bluesilver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrift View Post
Where are you based?

Yeah uhm KTM only adjusted the valves and fitted the DNA filter on my bike. Nothing else, I am testing the DNA now. If the DNA also lets dust through I will get them to give me a new motor.
Just be careful, the lid leaks and unless ktm have fitted an extra seal as uni does then everytime you remove the lid be cock sure the lid is fitted correctly. DNA is just a single oiled filter...all it does is not distort when water gets into the airbox...my dna is now in a bag in the garage with an uni in the 1190....not taking a chance.
__________________
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure (KTM R&D bike)
2012 KTM 300 EXC ( REAL KTM )
2007 CRF150RB ( Enduro )
2007 CRF50
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:25 AM   #658
dragos
Belzebut
 
dragos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Europe (Romania, Germany, UK)
Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrift View Post
Yeah uhm KTM only adjusted the valves and fitted the DNA filter on my bike. Nothing else, I am testing the DNA now. If the DNA also lets dust through I will get them to give me a new motor.
I'm not sure the DNA by itself solves everything.
I certainly don't understand the attitude of some dealers out there. I had a chat with my dealer (MotoPabst in Dusseldorf, Germany) before the first service, they were willing to do whatever I wanted (Unifilter, DNA+grease etc), no questions asked, no warranty BS.
I also had the KTM PP filter installed (is that the DNA?), but I also had the KTM mesh socks installed and grease + duct tape around the airbox.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #659
2wdrift OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Pretoria South Africa
Oddometer: 95
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
Just be careful, the lid leaks and unless ktm have fitted an extra seal as uni does then everytime you remove the lid be cock sure the lid is fitted correctly. DNA is just a single oiled filter...all it does is not distort when water gets into the airbox...my dna is now in a bag in the garage with an uni in the 1190....not taking a chance.
Yeah my motor has already had dust damage and it was not fixed, so I am riding with a damaged motor that might still get more dust in. If the filter works fine then its good to know. If the filter does not work and lets more dust in and the motor breaks, well that's great. I will then have them give me a new motor and make them fit the unifilter at their cost. So its a win win situation, I already can not trust my motor because of the previous damage so I just ride it close to home. If they get me the new motor I will then do anything I can to keep the dust out.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #660
painterdude
ride far
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 17
duct taped my air box ..it worked but I might as well not have a filter with the paper thing they put in ..It sucked dust . Only 1K of riding with only 2 hrs being dirt!!
KTM are flat out criminal to do this ..They are literally sending people out the door with a $$$$$$$ bike that absolutely will self destruct over time if the owner does not check the air box. They absolutley know this by now but carry on selling people bikes with what amounts to no air filter installed.The air box construction looks like it was designed for a 50 cc bike out of China..and do not get me started on the crazy bags they sell with.
Ya I expect some issues with any new bike ..but I have never seen such huge hard fails ever with any other biker ..that are not addressed.

As to those willy nilly saying hey go out get the UNI drop a few ponies and be done, well they are part of the problem.
NO ONE..no one should ever have to have such a critically important issue with an expensive bike.
We here are prolly more in tune with our bikes and do some wrenching ..but there are a lot of wannabe "adventurers" out there blindly motoring around on 1190's ..with filterless bikes sucking dirt and degrading ..as they ride.
Lots of busted motors in KTMs future and damning articles in the bike rags to follow. ..maybe if they are not paid off by KTM as they seem to be .
As has been said re sale is going to plummet if this gets out...and it prolly will over time .
painterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014