ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #661
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
duct taped my air box ..it worked but I might as well not have a filter with the paper thing they put in ..It sucked dust . Only 1K of riding with only 2 hrs being dirt!!
KTM are flat out criminal to do this ..They are literally sending people out the door with a $$$$$$$ bike that absolutely will self destruct over time if the owner does not check the air box. They absolutley know this by now but carry on selling people bikes with what amounts to no air filter installed.The air box construction looks like it was designed for a 50 cc bike out of China..and do not get me started on the crazy bags they sell with.
Ya I expect some issues with any new bike ..but I have never seen such huge hard fails ever with any other biker ..that are not addressed.

As to those willy nilly saying hey go out get the UNI drop a few ponies and be done, well they are part of the problem.
NO ONE..no one should ever have to have such a critically important issue with an expensive bike.
We here are prolly more in tune with our bikes and do some wrenching ..but there are a lot of wannabe "adventurers" out there blindly motoring around on 1190's ..with filterless bikes sucking dirt and degrading ..as they ride.
Lots of busted motors in KTMs future and damning articles in the bike rags to follow. ..maybe if they are not paid off by KTM as they seem to be .
As has been said re sale is going to plummet if this gets out...and it prolly will over time .
+1, resale value is affected for everyone, bike shops are aware and are reluctant to deal in second hand 1190's because of this. We've all seen about $6k wiped of the value of our 'bikes through this one issue. That's why either KTM need to step up to the mark and recall all 'bikes and resolve the airbox filter problem once and for all, worldwide. And since they seem unwilling or unable to do that, then what should owners do about it? I suggest action through the courts but other inmates - even those with trashed engines - seem unwilling to go down that route.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #662
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
KTM will likely be out of business by this time next year, then you will have collector bike.

Might be worth a fortune in a couple years.....
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #663
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
+1, resale value is affected for everyone, bike shops are aware and are reluctant to deal in second hand 1190's because of this. We've all seen about $6k wiped of the value of our 'bikes through this one issue. That's why either KTM need to step up to the mark and recall all 'bikes and resolve the airbox filter problem once and for all, worldwide. And since they seem unwilling or unable to do that, then what should owners do about it? I suggest action through the courts but other inmates - even those with trashed engines - seem unwilling to go down that route.
Source please ?

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #664
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,335
Yes please

A very specific number
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #665
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,937
A class action lawsuit - that's a great idea! Make some lawyer rich and give KTM a way out...Brilliant!

Zorba The Magnificent Speaketh...you dare question the Great and Powerful Zorba?? If The Zorbster says you've lost 6 grand on your bike, you've lost 6 grand.

Look at the bright side...that kind of loss would put me in the negative! I'd have top pay someone to take it away!

Just kiddin Ron...don't get twisted.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #666
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

The sad thing is how many

People that have this bike do not know about this problem. I know many people are on this site but I'm sure there are many many more that are not. Ktm does need to step up and do something other than a dumb air filter. What are us dumb chumps to do.

Ducati had an expanding tank problem that went to court and the tanks were all replaced with a " new material" I don't think it helped in the long run. Yes the stupid lawyers get rich but that's not my concern. I want an air box that does not need aftermarket parts to function correctly . Yes it's a 65 dollar part on an 18k bike it's not the money it's the point that they did a shit job on the air box ( not a minor part) and after two years it's still not fixed.

Yes have a uni in it from 0 so I'm not loosing sleep over it . They need to fix it for everyone not just the informed
Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #667
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

No, they were not. The C.A.L. did more than make the lawyers rich...it also enacted a deadline for Ducati to warranty said gas tanks on $20,000 Multistradas. After that date, you are SOL.

Notice I said warranty...not replace. It still wasn't a recall, so it accomplished sweet F.A.

So really, hate me or love me for posting in this thread, whatever...but Zorby, drop the Class Action BS.

Chuckracer screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 06:55 PM
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #668
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Yea thought that was the case .

Got my tank ( fixed) caswell coated the new one :)
Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #669
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

But you're right...same deal there. All the Multi owners who don't hang around online wondering why their bodywork doesn't fit anymore are gonna eat it come resale time.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #670
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
No, they were not. The C.A.L. did more than make the lawyers rich...it also enacted a deadline for Ducati to warranty said gas tanks on $20,000 Multistradas. After that date, you are SOL.

Notice I said warranty...not replace. It still wasn't a recall, so it accomplished sweet F.A.

So really, hate me or love me for posting in this thread, whatever...but Zorb, drop the Class Action BS.

I'm going to have to agree here with the cynical Mr Racer. As much as I'm frustrated with my home country of USA with how sue happy we have become, it seems we are the least squeaky of anyone. If you buy a new model KTM and expect to not have to do your homework beforehand, you have no business buying a KTM. Its a freaking race bike, not a Toyota Camry. Install the Unifilter, ride the bike, and be happy. This thread is so far out in left field it should be locked.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #671
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
I'm going to have to agree here with the cynical Mr Racer. As much as I'm frustrated with my home country of USA with how sue happy we have become, it seems we are the least squeaky of anyone. If you buy a new model KTM and expect to not have to do your homework beforehand, you have no business buying a KTM. Its a freaking race bike, not a Toyota Camry. Install the Unifilter, ride the bike, and be happy. This thread is so far out in left field it should be locked.
Wrong. KTM is marketing the 1190 series as a rough'n tough graveltouring sport touring device in the BMW GS market segment.

There's also no substance behind claiming a 24 bolt- and tank removal process to gain access to the flawed filterbox is making this a "race bike".

Therefore the KTM factory followup is in direct comparison and competition with ditto for the BMW GS series.

On a race bike like my 690 Rally Replica access to air filter is a simple Dzuz twist and seat removal.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #672
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Wrong. KTM is marketing the 1190 series as a rough'n tough graveltouring sport touring device in the BMW GS market segment.

There's also no substance behind claiming a 24 bolt- and tank removal process to gain access to the flawed filterbox is making this a "race bike".

Therefore the KTM factory followup is in direct comparison and competition with ditto for the BMW GS series.

On a race bike like my 690 Rally Replica access to air filter is a simple Dzuz twist and seat removal.

Okay, race bike is a bit tongue in cheek. Perhaps "hot rod" is more accurate. The 990 is based on the Dakar Rallye design but was sold as a "travel" bike as well. (with a "ready to race" slogan...) After riding both bikes I believe the 1190R is every bit as "race" worthy. Thats neither here nor there though and is only an opinion and not fact.

I'm just confused how the thread morphed from a discussion about methods to fix a flawed air box design to a piss-and-moan festival.

I have a feeling KTM will eventually issue a recall if enough reports of dusted engines occur. I'm curious what that number is. From the "are you happy with your 1190" thread it appears only about 6-7 percent of owners aren't thrilled with their bike, regardless of air box design.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #673
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Did a fantastic

350 miles of road and dirt today. The bike is fucking fantastic. 4000 miles of joy for sure. I do still have that little twinge in the back of my brain riding in dusty conditions.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #674
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
350 miles of road and dirt today. The bike is fucking fantastic. 4000 miles of joy for sure. I do still have that little twinge in the back of my brain riding in dusty conditions.
+1 175 miles of high speed dirt and road today but its getting too hot here. Probably need a new problem thread for this but anyone else getting the head shake at 110mph + ?

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 AM   #675
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
+1 175 miles of high speed dirt and road today but its getting too hot here. Probably need a new problem thread for this but anyone else getting the head shake at 110mph + ?
Your front wheel may be out of balance or your headstock has play. Those have been the most common causes for the headshake.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote