Looked at mine today. Want something other than the uni filter

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #692
Omaha Tenere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
How can one filter do so well and then another not do as well? Is there a difference in the air boxes or possibly the install method?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #693
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
. I was thinking about this when I installed the Uni because 1 of my screws was stripped from the factory. .
One of mine was stripped from the factory too. I'm hoping Rottweiler comes with something pretty quickly.

I was wondering about putting some type of soft epoxy in the holes for the screws to bite on??
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #694
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Tenere View Post
How can one filter do so well and then another not do as well? Is there a difference in the air boxes or possibly the install method?
I think KAG is not running the UNI and doesn't want to because of perceived restrictions.

Is this correct??
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #695
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Manufacturer quality control issues. As one US video has shown on a barely 264 miles "old" 1190 R - this airbox suffers inconsistent production quality levels.

In my book this design is simply flawed and needs a total redesign with better seal around the airbox lid edges and improved airfilter retaining clip.

The closed encapsulated filterbox beneath 3 plastic covers, a fuel tank and 24 bolts simply mandates a more reliable design solution.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #696
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
I am sympathetic to the 1190 guys and their issues with the filter and air box. I also put 40 k miles on a 950 SuperMoto with similar airbox and paper filter. So a couple of thoughts:

Almost all dirt bikes, KTMs included, have lived with foam filters for years and years, in conditions which are, on average, much dustier than those that any adventure bike sees. Pre filters are very rarely used. Different models of dirt bikes, KTM included, have had some problems with filters sealing against the air boxes. With these bikes it has been an issue of being careful installing the filter so it is properly seated. Most guys are aware of this and use care. many use grease to help seal the filter to the airbox. Foam filters work in the dirt! BUT THEY MUST BE PROPERLY OILED AND SEALED TO THE AIRBOX.

Now I realize that the challenges of sealing a round foam dirt bike filter against the flat surface of a dirt bike air box are different than sealing a rectangular paper or foam filter that has to fit into a groove in the airbox and sealed by pressure from the cover. Foam or paper makes no difference. The seal has to be good!

I am not turned off by adding grease, silicone seal or duct tape to insure a seal. But I agree and can see how that would not seem right to a guy who just spent $XX,XXX for a new 1190 do-it-all "Adventure" bike. But, if if I'm not up to greasing the lip of the foam filter on my $10,000 dirt bike (whether KTM, Honda or whatever) and spending extra time to be SURE that the filter seals, I will be having the type of premature motor wear/failure that the 1190 guys are correctly worried about.

For the 990, I really like the SW7/ITG/Rottweiler/GEFR style foam filter setups which eliminate the airbox completely. Significant performance improvement and way better maintenance access without the airbox. BUT, if like the 990, a pretty significant project with Emissions equipment removal and major Fuel Injection re mapping required. Not necessarily being something to be afraid of. But, if my guess is right, not every rider's cup of tea either.

So my thought is to think like a dirt biker and grease, tape, silicone or whatever it takes to seal up the filter. Go with the no airbox setup if you are comfortable. Or......get another bike. I wonder what other problems they have???

FWIW
Old 07-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #697
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,164
hell.....broke down and ordered the Uni...

just being hard headed. As other options open up I will re-evaluate.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #698
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
hell.....broke down and ordered the Uni...

just being hard headed. As other options open up I will re-evaluate.
atta boy.........
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #699
Omaha Tenere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
I think KAG is not running the UNI and doesn't want to because of perceived restrictions.

Is this correct??
OK - that would make sense. I took his post to mean that he had the UNI and still had issues.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #700
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,741
O.K. I think whinning for problems is what you get

when you release a faulty product. This is the feedback you deserve. So why should people with problems be diverted to go buy a Vstrom is beyond me. A faulty product gets the beating it deserves. Aknowledging the issues, warning customers of potential damage and helping to resolve the issues, creates a happy clientelle. Being reluctant and arrogant, irritates people and asks for hard action. It is as simple as that. No reason to turn against each other.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #701
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
One of mine was stripped from the factory too. I'm hoping Rottweiler comes with something pretty quickly.

I was wondering about putting some type of soft epoxy in the holes for the screws to bite on??
A bit of hot glue will do the trick. Put WD 40 on the self tapper, screw it in and wait until the glue completely sets. Then remove the screw and test the seating or leave in for a nice tight fit.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #702
Two Tigers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Good tip Fuzzy!

I stripped one one the weekend and just put a bigger self tapper in but I like your idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
A bit of hot glue will do the trick. Put WD 40 on the self tapper, screw it in and wait until the glue completely sets. Then remove the screw and test the seating or leave in for a nice tight fit.
Two Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #703
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tigers View Post
Good tip Fuzzy!

I stripped one one the weekend and just put a bigger self tapper in but I like your idea!
Thank the Google, my friend. Thank the Google.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:20 AM   #704
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
when you release a faulty product. This is the feedback you deserve. So why should people with problems be diverted to go buy a Vstrom is beyond me. A faulty product gets the beating it deserves. Aknowledging the issues, warning customers of potential damage and helping to resolve the issues, creates a happy clientelle. Being reluctant and arrogant, irritates people and asks for hard action. It is as simple as that. No reason to turn against each other.
Cheers.
Totally agree. I'm eagerly awaiting a better coordinated factory response on the flawed design issues before committing to an 1190 R purchase, but the inconsistency between international KTM dealerships and importers will simply move people over to the per date seemingly better coordinated international support network of BMW.

I can firsthand describe this difference here in Norway - judged by personal experience from workshop service on my F800GS and 690RFR.
Certain KTM dealerships here in Norway are flatly unqualified and too simpleton dirt-bike-minded to deal with the sheer complexity of the 1190 series.

If US and UK KTM importers don't recognize and proactively adress the airfilter issues - they're in for well deserved customer criticism and loss of market shares in the GS graveltouring segment.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 AM   #705
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Instead of commenting on forums while not having the bike and thus not being faced with the problem you're commenting on, go buy a GS.
No better way to criticize KTM.
Criticism should be left over to those (owners and riders) actually dealing with the issues.
Schussboelie is online now   Reply With Quote