Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 02:59 AM   #751
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Looked at mine today. Want something other than the uni filter

Kind of a dummy question, but how serious is that amount of dirt?
What parts of the engine is it most likely to hurt and how?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #752
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Because my dealer is in Mooresville NC (and I just moved to L.A.), I am unsure how to proceed at this point. I would like to have a dealer perform a leakdown test to quantify the extent of the damage but not sure if I should contact KTM USA first or go to dealer I didn't buy bike from. Thoughts?
I would run to the nearest official dealership AND contact KTM USA asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I would case the valve fittings and mainly the cilinder walls could sustain some damage causing compression loss.
Not sure on the amount of dirt vs damage ratio though.
Schussboelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #753
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Most likely to get hurt first is scoring of the cylinder walls and excess wearing of the rings, then after that probably the valve seat areas, then after that anything that slips by the rings contaminating the oil can go anywhere and everywhere.

I am not sure of the seriousness of the amount of dirt in the example you used or mine. I think there may be a bit of excess worry with the white rag wipe of butterflies since you will get atomized oil on them from the CCV breather exhausting into the airbox, but a leakdown test will let you know for sure.

FWIW, my oil still looks pretty decent with about 5k since last change so not sure what to make of that except not much dirt is in the oil (at least enough to see!), or maybe that just means the oil filters are working.

The intake valves on my rear cylinder look like the engine has 100k miles with an excessive amount of carbon buildup, but that is probably due to the crank vent dumping directly into it. Maybe this is normal, IDK. My fear is that it is not and is because the crank vent is blowing oil due to worn rings/cylinder. I hope to get a leakdown test done ASAP to know for sure.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #754
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:

The 1/4" of standing water in front of the filter will be handled a lot better by any oiled foam media over time.
There are 3 rubber tubes hanging down the left side of the front cylinder. The one with the bolt in it is the air box drain. Might be good to remove the bolt now and again to drain the water out.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #755
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,012
Sorry to see that wilmar13. Totally sux ! I'm not riding mine another mile til I pull the tank and check it again.

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #756
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

Quote:
^
Cliff notes: My filter fit well(verified), and I sealed the gaps between top and bottom of airbox with Gorilla tape all around, and yet still dirty air bypassed filter internally because the lid was not sealing where you can't see it; over filter. This area must be sealed or else you need not bother doing anything else.

Also whatever filter you go with, it should not be paper me thinks. The 1/4" of standing water in front of the filter will be handled a lot better by any oiled foam media over time.

Really kicking myself for not keeping the Unifilter and just not using the socks. I would rather have a warranty that is voided and not needed, than one that is valid and needed. (and that is IF KTM actually voids warranty for using Unifilter)
Sorry to hear about your problems man, I hope you get them to give you a new motor. Maybe ask KTM USA if the unifilter voids the warranty, in SA it depends who you ask...
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #757
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
I was one of the guys that bought a Unifilter and didn't like the way it fit. I looked at the airbox flaws, what the Unifilter addressed and what it didn't, and ultimately as a combination of my own hubris and the notion that KTM would not warranty bike with Unifilter (with good reason certainly, right?) decided that I would just seal the top and bottom, and make sure the paper filter fit well, which it did.

At any rate, it is clear if you don't seal up the inside bridge your bike will still eat dirt. In hindsight RTV applied to the bridge sealing surface would have been the way to go, or else just use the Unifilter gasket. I am certain the increased tank rub from raising lid slightly is nothing compared to the alternative.
Check out the video at about 2:35...

strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #758
like2lean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
That sucks Wil, my first Uni was stuffed also. It was terribly over oiled, I think they forgot to wring it out! It fit way to tight and slipped out of the clamp after 200 miles. They sent me a new one that fit much better, and had about 1 quart less oil in it, it's working ok so far. Hard to say your what caused your failure at this stage, I hope they get it resolved quickly.
like2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #759
NorthVancpF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
KTM Canadarespondes to my question re: air box issues

Well, after reading this latest post, I again, am concerned regarding our suspect air box. So much that I actually called KTM Canada and good on them, they returned my call within the hour!

After giving the customer service rep my VIN number, he alerted me that there is a TB 1409 (technical Bulletin) against my (10/13 MD) '14 1190 ADV ST. But it's not for the airbox, only the battery cables. The dealer had not informed me, but he said this is ok as it's not really a 'recall' only a TB which can be done at my next servicing. It's not a safety concern.

As far as the airbox issue, he said they have 64 dealers in Canada and not one communication from any of them regarding the airbox. (???) He said, of course, they are aware of all the internet forum talk and have been looking into what could be the issue, but at this time, no recalls, and nothing from any of their dealers. Again, I just talking with respect to Canada.

So, as far as my '14 1190 ADV ST USA/CDN model... there are no manufacturer's recalls, other than the TB-1409.

Damn it, this doesn't go away. If any Canadian 1190 owners are experiencing air box issues, please document and alert your dealer.

As I say, mine is spotless, but I'm a lightweight, coffee drinker : ) My Starbucks card shows more damage than the bike.
NorthVancpF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #760
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVancpF View Post
Well, after reading this latest post, I again, am concerned regarding our suspect air box. So much that I actually called KTM Canada and good on them, they returned my call within the hour!

After giving the customer service rep my VIN number, he alerted me that there is a TB 1409 (technical Bulletin) against my (10/13 MD) '14 1190 ADV ST. But it's not for the airbox, only the battery cables. The dealer had not informed me, but he said this is ok as it's not really a 'recall' only a TB which can be done at my next servicing. It's not a safety concern.

As far as the airbox issue, he said they have 64 dealers in Canada and not one communication from any of them regarding the airbox. (???) He said, of course, they are aware of all the internet forum talk and have been looking into what could be the issue, but at this time, no recalls, and nothing from any of their dealers. Again, I just talking with respect to Canada.

So, as far as my '14 1190 ADV ST USA/CDN model... there are no manufacturer's recalls, other than the TB-1409.

Damn it, this doesn't go away. If any Canadian 1190 owners are experiencing air box issues, please document and alert your dealer.

As I say, mine is spotless, but I'm a lightweight, coffee drinker : ) My Starbucks card shows more damage than the bike.
At least KTM Canada calls you back........no such luck for me with KTM USA after several messages.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #761
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
At least KTM Canada calls you back........no such luck for me with KTM USA after several messages.
They returned my call back when I wanted to know why they could not give me a more precise delivery date.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #762
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 805
Are there any examples of Uni Filter equipped bikes with issues?

Powercell sells them and they are cheaper than the paper OEM. Seems like a proven solution to a known issue = no brainer.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #763
The "OC"
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Are there any other solutions besides the uni filter, I found this on the super duke forum. I am not sure if this will work for the 1190?

Rottweiler filter

Looks as though it eliminates air box all together and works like the off road bikes with their foam filter that had been oiled.

The "OC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #764
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The "OC" View Post
Are there any other solutions besides the uni filter, I found this on the super duke forum. I am not sure if this will work for the 1190?

Rottweiler filter

Looks as though it eliminates air box all together and works like the off road bikes with their foam filter that had been oiled.

Yes, package for 1190 not ready yet http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/

Also Sporting Woods http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870579

Will require a new ecu map

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #765
The "OC"
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
The "OC" is offline   Reply With Quote