ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #766
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2lean View Post
That sucks Wil, my first Uni was stuffed also. It was terribly over oiled, I think they forgot to wring it out! It fit way to tight and slipped out of the clamp after 200 miles. They sent me a new one that fit much better, and had about 1 quart less oil in it, it's working ok so far.
Hmmm, maybe I did have a bad one... I sold it, thinking the fit was normal and expected based on feedback I read here. It wasn't overly oiled, just didn't seem to fit in the pocket that well. But hey the stock filter in my box fits and seals perfectly, its just that the air prefers to shirk the designated pathway and go over it. Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2lean View Post
Hard to say your what caused your failure at this stage, I hope they get it resolved quickly.
If it isn't clear from the pics, I can tell you will absolute certainty, no ambiguity about it, the dirty air entered above the filter between the top lid and the base above the filter frame as I had the outer seam totally sealed off. and there was no dirt at all around the filter lip on the (intended) clean side. I think the rubber gasket/lips material used over that area on the lid is too thin, and didn't actually make full contact or if it did, opened up when hot. It could also be that the seam does not align, but you can see where contact has pressed the lid's rubber gasket at some point so I don't think that is the case. Hard to know since you can't see it when the lid is installed. Either way RTV or foam gasket will be used on my bike from now on there to make sure the air goes through the filter.

I dropped the bike off at a dealer here in LA to perform a leakdown test, so we will see in a couple days if there is engine damage from dust inhalation.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #767
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Here is a view of my rear cyl intake valves showing the heavy deposits:

It may be hard to see but there is a LOT of gunk on the top of the valves, and perhaps this is normal because of the CCV exiting above the rear TB. It would be nice if fellow inmates can let me know if your bike's intake valves look the same next time you have a peek inside the airbox. My bike has just over 7k miles.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #768
like2lean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
If it isn't clear from the pics, I can tell you will absolute certainty, no ambiguity about it .
No doubt about that, I meant whether the engine issue was caused by dirt injestion or some other failure. Certainly possible, but I've seen MUCH dirtier boxes on all kinds of engines with far more miles not suffer the kind of problems yours is having. At least you'll get hassel free service since you don't have the dreded Uni installed that the dealers are all so hard for!
like2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #769
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
When installing the Uni ...

So I installed the Uni on my 2014 R yesterday... I managed to turn a 90 min job into 6 hours. So I thought I would pass on a few installation tips.

1 - Make sure you disconnect the Quick Disconnect hose before you attempt to pull out the tank. It makes pulling out the tank easier.

2 - When it falls into the bike body, you can retrieve the rubber bushing that is part of the main tank retention bolt using a long allen key held by pliers. Be patient. Swearing does not actually make the retrieval faster.

3 - Before you screw the top half of the air box back on after installing the Uni, make sure you remove the flashlight you were using to examine the airbox from the airbox. Otherwise, you will need to remove the top half of the airbox to retrieve the flashlight.

4 - the small pannel-like flap on the rear of the airbox is just attached to a hole on the top of the airbox. It is not big enough to retrieve any flashlights that might have been left in the airbox.

5 - it is best to re- install the side rubber bushings on the tank holding screws AFTER you have reinstalled the tank. Installing the bushings before installing the tank will lead to the bushings getting crushed and require pulling off the tank.

6 - A half full tank of gas is enough to crush your fingers if you hold the tank the wrong way when reinserting rubber bushing that is part of the main tank bolt.

7 -If, despite having been told not to, you do remove the airbox flap, remember to re-screw in the top two screws at the top of the airbox. Otherwise you will need to remove the tank again, after you thought you were all done, to reapply the screws once you notice them among the tools as you gather them to put them away.

Installing the Uni confirms that I am correct in letting the dealer perform all maintenance on my bikes.
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #770
NorthVancpF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Lol! Good one. I feel your pain. It's abitch to get to the air box :)
NorthVancpF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #771
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhohesit8s View Post
So I installed the Uni on my 2014 R yesterday... I managed to turn a 90 min job into 6 hours. So I thought I would pass on a few installation tips.

1 - Make sure you disconnect the Quick Disconnect hose before you attempt to pull out the tank. It makes pulling out the tank easier.

2 - When it falls into the bike body, you can retrieve the rubber bushing that is part of the main tank retention bolt using a long allen key held by pliers. Be patient. Swearing does not actually make the retrieval faster.

3 - Before you screw the top half of the air box back on after installing the Uni, make sure you remove the flashlight you were using to examine the airbox from the airbox. Otherwise, you will need to remove the top half of the airbox to retrieve the flashlight.

4 - the small pannel-like flap on the rear of the airbox is just attached to a hole on the top of the airbox. It is not big enough to retrieve any flashlights that might have been left in the airbox.

5 - it is best to re- install the side rubber bushings on the tank holding screws AFTER you have reinstalled the tank. Installing the bushings before installing the tank will lead to the bushings getting crushed and require pulling off the tank.

6 - A half full tank of gas is enough to crush your fingers if you hold the tank the wrong way when reinserting rubber bushing that is part of the main tank bolt.

7 -If, despite having been told not to, you do remove the airbox flap, remember to re-screw in the top two screws at the top of the airbox. Otherwise you will need to remove the tank again, after you thought you were all done, to reapply the screws once you notice them among the tools as you gather them to put them away.

Installing the Uni confirms that I am correct in letting the dealer perform all maintenance on my bikes.

Funniest post I've read in a long while.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #772
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #773
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,388
X2

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #774
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 76
And I thought I was the only one..

The bright side is that you can now do the air box service better than the dealer. Love your post.

Quote:

TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #775
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,183
The second time was much easier, and quicker.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #776
wr2nxt
Couch Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Air box

Ditto.... what he said.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #777
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Was thinking about the airbox problem today and wondering exactly how prevalent it is<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
In my industry, product registries are created that allow for easy statistical analysis and rapid contact of affected individuals when problems are detected<o:p></o:p>
Relatively new here so not sure how best to accomplish this but seems as if a registry of sorts could be created by polling 1190 owners who have had the courage to look inside their airbox and ‘voting’ whether theirs was clean or dirty
Results might even encourage KTM to fix the problem…<o:p></o:p>
CaliBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #778
Mike.Gail
Intentionally Blank

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBerger View Post
Was thinking about the airbox problem today and wondering exactly how prevalent it is<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
In my industry, product registries are created that allow for easy statistical analysis and rapid contact of affected individuals when problems are detected<o:p></o:p>
Relatively new here so not sure how best to accomplish this but seems as if a registry of sorts could be created by polling 1190 owners who have had the courage to look inside their airbox and ‘voting’ whether theirs was clean or dirty
Good idea, but the issue is in informing owners that this is something that needs to be examined. Not all of the 1190 owners are on this forum, or even another KTM based forum, so for some their first hint that there is an issue will be when the bike doesn't want to start anymore.

It's an issue of owner contact saturation.

"Injuries are the price we pay for not having sat around on our asses!" - Steve in ATL
Mike.Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:31 AM   #779
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBerger View Post
I dont believe KTM will fix the issue, on the 2015 bikes they might have a redesigned airbox but for us with the flawed one the only hope is to fix the problem yourself. KTM dont want to acknowledge that there is a problem because then they will have to send out a recall on all 1190's and I think that might cost them a hell of a lot, and the resulting damage to the brand name.

But this is just what I believe.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #780
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 76
KTM's wall of stone

If you have a 2013 or 2014, and you ride in dirt or dusty conditions you have a problem. The first thing I asked my dealer about was the airbox, and weather it was fixed on the 2014's. Yes it's a new part number, but the airbox is still flawed. I have not read one post from an inmate with an 1190 that rode in dirt with a stock air filter that did not have dirt in the airbox.
It's just sad that such a well respected company is trying to ignore this problem.
I guess it's all a matter of money, If they pretend that there is no problem for a year there off the hook.
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote