ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 04:41 AM   #826
Koolranch
NCADVR
 
Koolranch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
Rode my new 2014 for less than 2500 miles ..only one hour+ in light dirt following a buddie on a Yami. Yup the air filter passed dirt into the throttle bodies and throughout box ..Yes it needed a UNI ..but at less than 500 miles I had checked the air box and had found it was clean..(but then I was only running street).Gee silly me I thought I was good to go as seen on TV.. I wasn`t.
Stayed out of any dirt and tried to get a Uni but then the bike began to bog seriously and continually at 4500 rpm and up. Drained the tank and checked fuel filter. Opps 16th of an inch of dark crap all over the filter from stuff in the tank KTM had left in there for my fun times ???. Amazing the thing ran at all. Disassembled the fuel pump and cleaned the filter completely ..put the pump back in bike .. The bike proceeded to run lean above 4500 ..Oh what wonderful hammering sound it made. Sometimes for a change it would stop and run normal for a few minutes..as a tease.
This fuel filter failure occurred on a road trip..and on the same trip the heat shield stuff began to peal off and slide out from under the roasting seat. Also for my enjoyment my $$$$$$$ KTM boxes became incredibly hard to open and close ..and, as I found out the hard way ..they had a nasty wobbling effect on handling when overtaking at speed or in high winds. Flat out dangerous..and pretty useless..great combo!! The plastic connect points on the bike scream..we will break !!!
As I did not know how much crap had made its way into the engine via the air or fuel and how much damage had been done and not being willing to live with the other niceties listed ..my 2014 is gone.
I will wait on the 2015 ..and see what they fix. Apart from fueling, air, heat, hard luggage issues and oh ya ..the stupid bad air flow management over windshield ( wow that is bad with the standard shield) and the strange scoring the chain was showing ...the bike handled well, had good power, and I liked the electronics.
I have to think they will fix the things I had an issue with..in 2015 so will check out one of those when they come.
Heres to hoping.

Pictures??
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #827
painterdude
ride far
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
Pictures??

LOL ..I had plenty of pictures..of the fuel filter black and clogged up, dirt in air box.. ..sent them to dealer ..sent them on to KTM ..no joy . The standard retort... THEY have to see the problem so heads up to all owners who will be having problems. Your phots mean squat.

BTW I was told the KTM guys say the air cleaner works great ..wait for it ...if its not exposed to dust..?????????????????????????????LOL!

Its unethical in the least to keep marketing bikes with known faults. The behavior may net a few bucks for the company now ??? and they can pay off a few rags to promote the bikes but the chickens are coming home to roost...in lost rep and sales.
painterdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #828
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.
 
ebrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Denver colo
Oddometer: 1,281
I know of two bikes

Right now ( one dead in a parking lot) both with dust in the bike. Valves so tight the bike will not start. Ktm paid for two valve adjustments on one bike but will not do it again

Yes fantastic bike but Ktm does not give a crap they sell them all. Wish Moto mags would write the truth ( ha ha )
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #829
Koolranch
NCADVR
 
Koolranch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
BTW I was told the KTM guys say the air cleaner works great ..wait for it ...if its not exposed to dust..?????????????????????????????LOL!

That verbatim is what dealer told me yesterday. What a bunch of BS. I have the UNI installed but it's crazy that they all still say the same lies.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #830
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oldfuddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: SouthWest
Oddometer: 285
I don't know if it has anything to do with KTM looking into this issue, but I just tried to order new intake trumpets from the dealer and he can't order trumpets for the '13 or '14. Not available and no dealer/customer pricing. Hummm....
__________________
'07 950 SE-R
'12 500 EXC
'14 1190R - SOLD!
'14 1290 SD
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #831
stuza
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 43
Just an FYI for UK owners experiencing this issue. Under the Sales Of Goods Act you will have a seriously strong case for taking the bike back to the dealer as it's clearly "Not fit for purpose". The dealer will then have to repair, replace or refund (they have the choice).

Remember, vehicles are expected to be "free from minor or major defect" and "fit for purpose" for six years from initial purchase.

Everyone else in the world? Same as me in Muscat, screwed... probably. (I've now had a unifilter fitted)
stuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #832
paidoutcomes
Adventurer
 
paidoutcomes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Fargo, ND
Oddometer: 45
Thumb Not an owner yet, but considering '14 Adv Std. Dealers?

Fresh lurker and first time poster.

In the past few weeks I have my heart set on a brand-spankin' new Orange 1190 Adv Std w/EDS. I am entirely new to KTM so I have been feverishly scouring this forum to learn as much as I can before I make the leap. Some of the post are disconcerting to say the least. The proposition of dropping $20k on a new bike and accessories, then having to fix a laundry list of problems myself or fight my dealer to do it, scares hell out of me. BUT I REALLY WANT ONE NOW! (I just bought a '14 Chevy Silverado with complete knowledge of all their recall issues because they are under a microscope and have addressed every one promptly. Will KTM dealers finally "get it" too?)

That said, is there any information available on KTM dealer ratings? I have a local KTM dealer that I have not done any business with and know nothing about them. There are several other dealers within 3 hours of me as well. Does KTM post dealer survey results somewhere?

Great forum with dedicated inmates, for sure!
paidoutcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #833
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion
 
scudrunner82's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Catskill, NY
Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidoutcomes View Post
Fresh lurker and first time poster.

In the past few weeks I have my heart set on a brand-spankin' new Orange 1190 Adv Std w/EDS. I am entirely new to KTM so I have been feverishly scouring this forum to learn as much as I can before I make the leap. Some of the post are disconcerting to say the least. The proposition of dropping $20k on a new bike and accessories, then having to fix a laundry list of problems myself or fight my dealer to do it, scares hell out of me. BUT I REALLY WANT ONE NOW! (I just bought a '14 Chevy Silverado with complete knowledge of all their recall issues because they are under a microscope and have addressed every one promptly. Will KTM dealers finally "get it" too?)

That said, is there any information available on KTM dealer ratings? I have a local KTM dealer that I have not done any business with and know nothing about them. There are several other dealers within 3 hours of me as well. Does KTM post dealer survey results somewhere?

Great forum with dedicated inmates, for sure!

There are a couple folks (not naming names) on here that make a lot of useless noise (over and over)

The bike has a couple known issues but they are all preventable inexpensively. The newest 2014 models sorted most teething issues. Buy a Unifilter when you take delivery and ride the wheels off it. I would guess 98/100 buyers would do it again. It's an amazing ride, no other bike is in the same league.
__________________
Hungry Tenere TripTeam Ghetto Does a Hot Lap of America

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #834
paidoutcomes
Adventurer
 
paidoutcomes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Fargo, ND
Oddometer: 45
If I can verify some decent performance out of my local KTM dealer, I think I will take the plunge. From other suggestions, I have emailed my dealer the questions and concerns regarding the '13/early '14 known issues and will see if they even acknowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
There are a couple folks (not naming names) on here that make a lot of useless noise (over and over)

The bike has a couple known issues but they are all preventable inexpensively. The newest 2014 models sorted most teething issues. Buy a Unifilter when you take delivery and ride the wheels off it. I would guess 98/100 buyers would do it again. It's an amazing ride, no other bike is in the same league.
paidoutcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #835
Koolranch
NCADVR
 
Koolranch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
There are a couple folks (not naming names) on here that make a lot of useless noise (over and over)



The bike has a couple known issues but they are all preventable inexpensively. The newest 2014 models sorted most teething issues. Buy a Unifilter when you take delivery and ride the wheels off it. I would guess 98/100 buyers would do it again. It's an amazing ride, no other bike is in the same league.

Not saying names.... ROFL. Last name "the great"?? I would totally buy the bike again. Buy and install the UNI before you ride it out of your driveway. Nothing's perfect but this bike is surely one of the greats.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #836
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oldfuddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: SouthWest
Oddometer: 285
Yup, agree with the bike and uni. It works fantastic. So good that I tried to order some new trumpets today so I could hack them up and install the single 2-stage uni to each trumpet and do away with the top air box cover all together. Bike screams and zero dust/dirt issues since installing the uni.
__________________
'07 950 SE-R
'12 500 EXC
'14 1190R - SOLD!
'14 1290 SD
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #837
paidoutcomes
Adventurer
 
paidoutcomes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Fargo, ND
Oddometer: 45
So if I can get a '14 with recent build date, just install my own Uni and assume the other niggles are sorted out? (cash in hand, and one foot out the door on the way to the dealer if you say yes...) I have tried to to compile a list of issues and tweaks. From what I have read I may not need to worry about many of them as I get a 2 year warranty on STD anyhow.
1. Add Unifilter - must be done.
2. Add bad fuel dongle - for good measure.
3. Check sidestand spring - Probably not an issue anymore.
4. Check battery cables and crimps - may still be an issue.
5. Check coolant caps
6. Add inline fuel filter - may not be an issue anymore but cheap insurance.
7. Check bolts on center stand
8. Check brake discs for excessive play
9. Steering head bearings need to be torqued frequently
10. Check clutch cover for leaks - may not be an issue anymore.
11. Torque all spokes - just good practice anyhow.
12. Double-check the insulation on the exhaust shield.
13. Make sure dealer has update the seat from cooking nuts.
14. Get all firmware updates and proof the dealer performed them.
15. Twist throttle and grin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
Not saying names.... ROFL. Last name "the great"?? I would totally buy the bike again. Buy and install the UNI before you ride it out of your driveway. Nothing's perfect but this bike is surely one of the greats.
__________________
2015 KTM 1290 SA (down payment processed!)
'73 Chaparral 80cc Dirt Bike, '76 Kawi 175 enduro, '80 Honda CM400, 1984 Kawi 550LTD, '04 KLR 650 (for a month), '13 Yama TW200
paidoutcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #838
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion
 
scudrunner82's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Catskill, NY
Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidoutcomes View Post
So if I can get a '14 with recent build date, just install my own Uni and assume the other niggles are sorted out? (cash in hand, and one foot out the door on the way to the dealer if you say yes...) I have tried to to compile a list of issues and tweaks. From what I have read I may not need to worry about many of them as I get a 2 year warranty on STD anyhow.
1. Add Unifilter - must be done.
2. Add bad fuel dongle - for good measure.
3. Check sidestand spring - Probably not an issue anymore.
4. Check battery cables and crimps - may still be an issue.
5. Check coolant caps
6. Add inline fuel filter - may not be an issue anymore but cheap insurance.
7. Check bolts on center stand
8. Check brake discs for excessive play
9. Steering head bearings need to be torqued frequently
10. Check clutch cover for leaks - may not be an issue anymore.
11. Torque all spokes - just good practice anyhow.
12. Double-check the insulation on the exhaust shield.
13. Make sure dealer has update the seat from cooking nuts.
14. Get all firmware updates and proof the dealer performed them.
15. Twist throttle and grin!


Sounds like you did your homework on the bike. Mine has a build date of Nov 2013 (2014 model) and all the updates were done on mine. I'd say if you find one with a build date after that you are good to go. I have almost 8000 miles on mine with the only issue a broken outside air temp sensor. Replaced quickly under warrantee.
Go drink that orange koolaid.
__________________
Hungry Tenere TripTeam Ghetto Does a Hot Lap of America

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #839
Koolranch
NCADVR
 
Koolranch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidoutcomes View Post
So if I can get a '14 with recent build date, just install my own Uni and assume the other niggles are sorted out? (cash in hand, and one foot out the door on the way to the dealer if you say yes...) I have tried to to compile a list of issues and tweaks. From what I have read I may not need to worry about many of them as I get a 2 year warranty on STD anyhow.
1. Add Unifilter - must be done.
2. Add bad fuel dongle - for good measure.
3. Check sidestand spring - Probably not an issue anymore.
4. Check battery cables and crimps - may still be an issue.
5. Check coolant caps
6. Add inline fuel filter - may not be an issue anymore but cheap insurance.
7. Check bolts on center stand
8. Check brake discs for excessive play
9. Steering head bearings need to be torqued frequently
10. Check clutch cover for leaks - may not be an issue anymore.
11. Torque all spokes - just good practice anyhow.
12. Double-check the insulation on the exhaust shield.
13. Make sure dealer has update the seat from cooking nuts.
14. Get all firmware updates and proof the dealer performed them.
15. Twist throttle and grin!

I would just do step 1.... The rest is no big deal. Yes go buy the bike.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #840
paidoutcomes
Adventurer
 
paidoutcomes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Fargo, ND
Oddometer: 45
Sold! Heading to the dealer Friday morning. Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't looking at this purchase through orange-colored glasses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Sounds like you did your homework on the bike. Mine has a build date of Nov 2013 (2014 model) and all the updates were done on mine. I'd say if you find one with a build date after that you are good to go. I have almost 8000 miles on mine with the only issue a broken outside air temp sensor. Replaced quickly under warrantee.
Go drink that orange koolaid.
__________________
2015 KTM 1290 SA (down payment processed!)
'73 Chaparral 80cc Dirt Bike, '76 Kawi 175 enduro, '80 Honda CM400, 1984 Kawi 550LTD, '04 KLR 650 (for a month), '13 Yama TW200
paidoutcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014