ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #856
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
I received the following response:

Dear Loyal KTM customer,

The 1190 Adventure series of bikes are specifically engineered to identify and torture BMW GS riders that have infiltrated the KTM ranks. The unique quirks of the bikes that can be resolved in 25 minutes by your average teenager with a screw driver will prove too much thus sending them sprinting to their closest BMW dealer.

Please feel free to write again as you can imagine I have nothing better to do then read emails from forum experts

Regards,
Stevey

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #857
Igotthis
So Close...

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
I'm NOT looking for OPINIONS FROM THOSE WITHOUT THIS ISSUE. My question is for those with this issue who have their bikes at a KTM dealer.

How is your dealer:

1) evaluating damage to the engine and
2) what are they doing to remedy?

Mine is still 'working with KTM' on the issue as of yesterday I have refused to pay for the valve adjustment from the dirt my motor has digested thanks to the defective bike as delivered.

I have posed this question to my dealer and will report back.

As far I see it the OUTCOMES are:
1) No significant engine damage (compression+dyno?) replace the defective KTM OEM filter with a quality aftermarket (Uni).
2) The valve train is so dirty that it is shot. KTM replaces the head.
3) The piston and cylinder wall are smeared and KTM replaces the motor as doing the entire top end wouldn't make economic sense.

I really wish I was out riding this weekend.

Tim
My dealer is welling to give me a new air filter and clean the dirt out of the airbox. This is what ktm said the "fix" was for a faulty air filter, as the box isn't the problem. I've repeatedly asked for a test to verify that the engine isn't damaged, they refuse to even ask ktm. Pure awesome...
Smokey Point Cyclebarn has completely lost me as a loyal customer, sure my couple of hundred dollars every few weeks won't drive them out of business. But Walmart is around for a reason, I'll only buy online from now on.
Igotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #858
Area51Hack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotthis View Post
My dealer is welling to give me a new air filter and clean the dirt out of the airbox. This is what ktm said the "fix" was for a faulty air filter, as the box isn't the problem.
Your dealer is a total The stock AIRBOX and stock PAPER AIR FILTER are a ridiculous excuse for air filtration for this bike, whether it's ridden on pavement or off-road.

Jeezuz H. Kahrist on a Po-Go Stick. Your dealer is going to give you a 'new' air filter and 'clean' your airbox? As you already know, this dealer is offering you a "fix" that offers more pigshit splashed onto a deliciously loaded Thanksgiving dinner plate. This dealer's "fix" guarantees you'll end up with the same problem again. The dealer's "fix" stuns me. Other than buying the UNI-Filter kit for this bike, there is no other 'fix' that I'm aware.

Hit up your KTM dealer, or any KTM dealer for that matter, or KTM Corporate for any engine damages due to this irresponsible engineering farce that KTM calls an 'airbox' under the bikes warranty.

Area51Hack screwed with this post 08-03-2014 at 11:27 PM
Area51Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #859
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 499
cleaning the airbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotiersFrontiers View Post
So lets say I break open the air box (to put in my Uni Filter) and DO find dirt and grime. What is the best way to clean her out? Some kind of throttle intake cleaner? This is going with the trend that KTM will most likely give resistance in doing the right thing themselves..
Just a clean rag, damp with something if you prefer. Just get all the dust out of the trumpets and airbox, install the uni-filter and top gasket, leave out the snorkle filters, and ride it. Love this bike!
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:16 AM   #860
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
¿Just wondering why you have the handle bars off to get to the airbox? Just 2 side fairngs and the tank does the job. Only tools needed are in the bikes toolbag...handle and extension with socket spanners and little star thingy for the screws...oh and pliers to open the fuel hose clamps. The manual is pretty straight forward;) ...just saying lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
I decided to add a little grease to my airbox seals before riding this weekend. These are the tools needed to R&R the air-filter... just ridiculous.

Also make certain to liberally lube the cross seal as I believe it is the real culprit in letting dust through...

Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #861
jbell2355
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I wouldn't leave out the Unifilter socks

After reading about the air filter problems on the 1190, I ordered and received the Unifilter before I even got the bike. I installed it with 100 miles on the bike, none of them off-road. The trumpets and airbox were 100% clean when I installed the filter.

Since then, I've done a bit of dusty riding. I have 5300 miles on the bike and just got back from a 1500 mile trip with 4 other guys, which included roughly 600 miles of dirt. I thought I better check the filter.

First, I pulled out the socks...I was shocked at how much sand was in there. It looked like someone had stuffed a handful of beach sand in each one. This picture shows how much I got out of one sock by inverting it and shaking it out a little:

Here's what I got out of both of them:

Next, I washed them out in the sink. Here's what settled in the bottom...much more went down the drain:

I pulled the filter/pre-filter. The pre-filter was a little dirty, but not bad at all. The filter was 100% clean, I couldn't find a speck on it.

I wiped off the pre-filter and re-oiled both it and the socks.

Yeah, the socks may cut horsepower a little, but I don't have trouble keeping up with anyone. I'd rather deal with a slight decrease in HP and keep the engine running forever.

The airbox and trumpets were clean of dust. There were a few specks on the butterflys, but nothing alarming. The Unifilter works.

For the last 1500 miles, I got 42 mpg +- 2 mpg on every tank of fuel, and I ride it pretty hard. How does that compare to those of you who don't have the Unifilter? I saw earlier in this thread where someone mentioned a 15% decrease in fuel economy. That would indicated people are getting 49 mpg with the stock filter. Is that right?

jbell2355 screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 05:50 PM
jbell2355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #862
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell2355 View Post

Here's what I got out of both of them:

Amazing pic. Now I've got to pull mine tomorrow.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #863
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,041
I think you have mud daubers

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #864
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the intake socks on the Unifilter kit. Not just from the power robbing restriction.
When I pulled mine they basically disintegrated in my hands from being folded tightly over the intake ducts. They were very plugged and dirty also, seemingly restricting airflow a lot. I don't think they have enough surface area for their intended purpose. The foam pre filter and main filter are plenty in my opinion. Maybe some thin foam(what I'm using now) or panty hose would work better to keep big debris out.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #865
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
It bears repeating that the filter socks are not to keep dirt out of the engine, but to keep it out of the filter. They are easier to clean more often and that is their only purpose. If you don't check/clean them until you are going to look at your filter, it is counterproductive to use them at all.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #866
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 508
I pulled my socks out when I found that one had been sucked into the filter box. Too much restriction, and mine were still quite clean. I think a rigid screen (or the aforementioned panty hose) at the external face of the intake would be much better.
NewToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #867
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMe View Post
[...]I think a rigid screen (or the aforementioned panty hose) at the external face of the intake would be much better.
This is how the KTM intake socks are working.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #868
jbell2355
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
It bears repeating that the filter socks are not to keep dirt out of the engine, but to keep it out of the filter. They are easier to clean more often and that is their only purpose. If you don't check/clean them until you are going to look at your filter, it is counterproductive to use them at all.
Clearly the socks should have been cleaned earlier. Keep in mind, KTM's recommendation is to clean the filter after 9300 miles, so I'm far ahead of the recommended service interval. I learned something here: I need to clean the socks after every dusty ride. That's very easy to do compared to pulling the tank to clean the air filter, which is what a guy should do after every dusty ride if he's running the stock filter.

I don't follow the logic of the socks being counterproductive. They kept a lot of debris out of the airbox, which prevented dirt from getting into the engine, they kept the filter and prefilter in beautiful condition, and they prevented me from having to clean the airbox. In the future, I will clean the socks regularly, and only pull the tank every 9k miles or so to check the filter. That will be a big time saver for me, and I can rest easy knowing that dirt is not getting into my engine. In my opinion, the socks are anything but counterproductive.
jbell2355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #869
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,041
I installed filter skins http://www.pcracingusa.com/FilterSkins_c_18.html
They lock in place same as the uni socks do, easy fit maybe a tad less restrictive than the uni socks dunno.
I installed so don't need to service main filter as often.
I think they will last longer than the uni sock also.

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #870
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
I installed filter skins http://www.pcracingusa.com/FilterSkins_c_18.html
They lock in place same as the uni socks do, easy fit maybe a tad less restrictive than the uni socks dunno.
I installed so don't need to service main filter as often.
I think they will last longer than the uni sock also.

I like that idea. I actually have some old spare ones I might use.