Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #991
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc145 View Post
[...]Put a small amount of CA type superglue in the hole.. only the bottom of the box. Make sure to get none on the top lid or you will glue the airbox shut. Set screw in the superglue. Wait a few hours for glue to cure. Back out the screw and tighten or just leave until next time, it will catch a bit but the glue to metal bond breaks before the glue to plastic. Better than new...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
Dealer suggestion: longer screw
Quote:
[...]
I'll try the DNA and check often at least in the beginning.
So I had a bit of time to try the longer screw tip suggested by dealer (I had one of the screws not "catching" at the end when I was reassembling my airbox), and check the status of the DNA filter. Got the screw some time ago, here it is with the Part Number, and compared with the original:

Interesting thing, the holes for the screws on the bottom half of the airbox are actually open at the bottom, so there was no problem using the much longer screw. Installed:

The DNA seems to be OK. The trumpets were clean, but there was a very (*very*) small amount of dust on a sidewall. (wondering if the screw that wasn't completely tight had any role in that).
Added a generous amount of grease, used the new screw to shut it tight.
Didn't travel yet with the bike, to be checked again soon.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #992
elvisnixon
Elvis Nixon

Oddometer: 52
Mr Grip

I just picked up this for my airbox from home depoe $1.60

Looks great as we are talking a metal non glue solution!!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-Pieces-...0158/202105579

elvisnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #993
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
The DNA seems to be OK. The trumpets were clean, but there was a very (*very*) small amount of dust on a sidewall. (wondering if the screw that wasn't completely tight had any role in that).
Added a generous amount of grease, used the new screw to shut it tight.
Didn't travel yet with the bike, to be checked again soon.
Very nice on the screw! I will do the same as I have one that was stripped by the dealer now.

I feel strongly that grease is best used for the filter surface only, and that it isn't a good solution for the airbox lid. You need a better gasket, so IMHO it is best to make one with RTV.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15
Old 09-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #994
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
I feel strongly that grease is best used for the filter surface only, and that it isn't a good solution for the airbox lid. You need a better gasket, so IMHO it is best to make one with RTV.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15
Seen that, it's a good idea.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #995
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 535
Removed Uni Socks-Different bike!

I was installing heated grips this week, and decided to look at my Uni socks. They were delaminating again. I had glued them back together previously, but decided to take them out. After riding the bike, it is totally different with the socks out. I forgot how much power the bike has after 5k miles of the Uni filter in. They were catching a fair amount of dirt before the prefilter, but the power loss doesn't seem worth it. 3rd gear power wheelies no problem now , just going to have to check the filter more often. May have to come up with some other method of prefiltering like pantyhose or something when in dusty conditions, but the prefilters went in the garbage.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:00 AM   #996
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw View Post
I was installing heated grips this week, and decided to look at my Uni socks. They were delaminating again. I had glued them back together previously, but decided to take them out. After riding the bike, it is totally different with the socks out. I forgot how much power the bike has after 5k miles of the Uni filter in. They were catching a fair amount of dirt before the prefilter, but the power loss doesn't seem worth it. 3rd gear power wheelies no problem now , just going to have to check the filter more often. May have to come up with some other method of prefiltering like pantyhose or something when in dusty conditions, but the prefilters went in the garbage.
I also removed the the prefilters, given i only use my EDS 1190 for the road.
I also used used my wifes panthy hose and it does work it will trap dirt bugs and any other crap. You also have the option of the KTM socks for the intakes.
These cost about $79 here in Australia, just get your wifes pantyhose and you will be fine...
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #997
Renierd
Renierd

Oddometer: 38
Ok, some interesting info regarding the airfilter, was at one of our local KTM dealers in Gauteng in SA, Ultimate Performance, buying some stuff for my 990, and I asked the guy there what is KTM doing about the air filter issue, and apparently KTM is replacing them with DNA aftermarket filters, and it is apparently solved the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Renierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #998
phme910
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
KTM DNA air filter

I installed a DNA air filter in my 1190 Adv R in June at the Las Vegas KTM dealer. This KTM rebranded filter had just come out & was not yet available in Canada.
I am now getting my 15,000 km service & will see how it looks inside.
I will update later.
phme910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #999
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
So I've been running a unifilter since the dealer rebuilt the engine, which was way back at 3000 miles. I definately noticed a drop in power but was happy the filter was working. I also remembering the intake noise was slightly toned down from stock

Im just over 10,000 miles now and installed a Rottweiler intake system (stage 3). OMG is the bike fast now!!! It feels more responsive, especially in the low to mid range, although this may be partly due to the o2 sensor bypass dongle I added. The intake noise is also very loud now under full throttle to the point where it pretty much overwhelms the stock exhaust note. It sounds great, just not whisper quiet like it once was. Very happy customer. The guys at rottweiler were great too, they shipped a few days late because they were backed up on orders, but shipped it overnight cross country (I paid for standard) to make up for it.
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #1000
GearedUp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
I'm in the process of installing the Rottweiler filter. When I removed the stock airbox there was no "o" ring on the rear throttle body. Time to order and wait for parts . Airbox was pretty clean inside. Going to check and adjust valves while I have it this far apart. Have 4K miles on so far.
GearedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #1001
phme910
Adventurer

DNA filter - looks good

I just had my 15,000 km service & the air box looks great.
The DNA/KTM filter did the trick even though it was dirty.
See attached photos.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #1002
phme910
Adventurer

DNA filter pic

see filter pic
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2014, 03:49 AM   #1003
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Starting to miss the 950/990 snorkel pointing backwards...

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #1004
CrazyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
1190 Air Box leak

It got me. Dealer said 2014 fix the problem. I picked up my bike June 14th. went for a ride with Captain Ron in the dust most of the ride. took it in for air filter check. they dont do that til 8k miles. i bought filter and opened it to find the dirt thing. buttoned up and to the my Reno Nv dealer. They are working on it. I want to get the aftermarket filter but think i need a new engine first and want dealer to deal with it. should not have to buy after market part to make you new bike dependable. dont look good.
Im a new ktm guy. long time GS. KTM was good while it lasted. Let ya know what dealer does.
Attached Images

What?
CrazyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #1005
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRider View Post
It got me. Dealer said 2014 fix the problem. I picked up my bike June 14th. went for a ride with Captain Ron in the dust most of the ride. took it in for air filter check. they dont do that til 8k miles. i bought filter and opened it to find the dirt thing. buttoned up and to the my Reno Nv dealer. They are working on it. I want to get the aftermarket filter but think i need a new engine first and want dealer to deal with it. should not have to buy after market part to make you new bike dependable. dont look good.
Im a new ktm guy. long time GS. KTM was good while it lasted. Let ya know what dealer does.

Thse photos and others on the forum should all be sent to the dickheads at KTM who designed the box... Bloody Idiots...

Good luck with all your repairs bro..
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote