User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 06:07 AM   #106
DigDeep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Question Grease?

I opened up my air box an noticed a small amount of dust inside my airbox. (Only 90 miles on it)
Until I can get a Unifilter I was thinking of putting some waterproof grease on the sealing surface of the paper air filter and seal the lid with silicone until the new filter shows up.
Has anyone else done this?

I'm a little bit concerned that the foam on the sealing surface of the paper filter could possibly be damaged or degraded from petroleum based grease.

Although I would think that the foam material would have to be fuel resistant, the carbs are right there and spit back fuel every once in a while and I would think the foam would be able to handle that.
DigDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #107
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
For US 1190 Adventure customers, it may be possible to exert additional pressure on KTM by filing a complaint with DOT. I've never done this before and don't know if this is the right place to go, but a Google search led me to:

File a complaint at DOT

(Good news: I've gotten pretty fast at removing the tank. Bad news: I've gotten pretty fast at removing the tank. Glad I installed quick disconnects on that pesky cross-over fuel line. )
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #108
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 75
Complaint

I'm thinking Class action. KTM is well aware of this issue. They fixed the problem and didn't check to make sure it was fixed. They need to address this problem now before they f up any more engines. Dirt in the combustion chamber can only cause problems no matter how little. If it doesn't f the engine totally it will certainly shorten the life.
If this was Ford, or Chevrolet heads would roll.

TDsurf screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 08:41 PM
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #109
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
I believe the best method would be to ask a lawyer???

And the strongest but most difficult team pressure would be to stop buying 1190s...is that possible?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #110
bikerider007
n00b

Oddometer: 7
UniFilter for anyone in europe....

Herehttp://shop.touratech.co.uk/unifilte...venture-r.html
bikerider007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #111
MxFan69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Questions and a statement

Questions that I haven't seen answered yet, does the UNI filter set up have to be oiled and maintained like a dirt bike filter? And does the UNI filter mess with the performance or God forbid the FI Mapping?

Statement, as a long time KTM dirt bike owner, THEY SUCK at making things right, and as much as I HATE getting Big Brother .gov involved, with KTM USA it seems the only means to an end. We (KTMTalk.com) had to get NHTSA involved to get KTM to "fix" their 1/4 turn leaking gas cap. For over a year, it was dealers handing out X Rings to fit the cap and stop the leak. Then it was a new locking gas cap, and now four model changes later ('06 leaking to '14 hard to remove) they still have a piece of shit 1/4 turn cap that is a mutha farker to get off, but by God it doesnt leak anymore.

My point, dont hold your breath on it getting fixed anytime soon (including 2015 or 2016's), buy the UNI filters and enjoy your bike. Those with dust already, keep pushing your dumb-ass dealers to do the right thing, as from my experience they will NOT without a swift kick in the buttock. I've had some pretty pissed off, near hollaring, conversations with some of them. Pressure, pressure, pressure, seems the only cure.
MxFan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #112
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,271
Yes and no

The filter needs to be cleaned and oiled like a dirt bike filter ( it's a foam filter ) no it does not effect the performance of the bike. Well not as far as I can tell as my bike still runs perfect with a slip on and a uni. I do think something " bad " needs to happen for Ktm to give a crap
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #113
craigo298er
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxFan69 View Post
Then it was a new locking gas cap, and now four model changes later ('06 leaking to '14 hard to remove) they still have a piece of shit 1/4 turn cap that is a mutha farker to get off, but by God it doesnt leak anymore.
I had that on my '10 450XC-W Champs Edition...I spent a good part of a half hour opening and closing it, hoping the plastic would wear a bit and make it easier...nope
craigo298er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #114
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,012
You would think when they start replacing motors because of dirt in the intakes, that might get their attention..

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #115
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
You would think when they start replacing motors because of dirt in the intakes, that might get their attention..
On saturday I went to pick up my bike from Ultimate performance, they adjusted the valves and fitted a DNA filter and sent me on my way. I will look to other dealerships for help.

Not impressed and I wont be buying another KTM, if KTM gives me a new motor I might but not otherwise.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #116
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

What do you guys think I should do?

I feel like running it until the motor is completely fuct and then requesting a new motor. But this plan has two flaws, seizing at the worst possible moment or running until the day the warranty expires and then doing the above...
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #117
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

I don't know what I would do

Buying a bike with a known defective part ( well not by Ktm) and sucking crap into your motor. I would want a new lump.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #118
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,049
For you guys that have fitted the Uni, do I need anything besides what's in the KTM toolkit? I'm flying up to NC in a couple weeks to bring my R home to Florida. I dropped the Uni off my last trip through but won't be able to carry a lot of extra tools on my flight up. Basically wearing my gear and carrying a tailbag, I left my helmut in NC before I came back to FL the first time.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #119
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Nope

Torx and Allen keys and a bit of time. A set of pliers for the clips on the fuel crossover line.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #120
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
Torx and Allen keys and a bit of time. A set of pliers for the clips on the fuel crossover line.
Thanks, I didn't get a chance to look the OEM toolkit over before I left the bike.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote