Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #121
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Thanks, I didn't get a chance to look the OEM toolkit over before I left the bike.
Everything you need to do the job is in the OEM toolkit. But a small quarter inch drive socket set with ratchet drive and star bits is quicker. You might need the owner's handbook and service manual to tell you the screw and clip locations for removing all the plastics and the fuel tank. If you do it by guesswork it is easy to break plastic lugs by pulling or pushing in the wrong direction. You have to stop the fuel balance valves and remove the balance pipe. Suggest remove one end of the balance pipe and then drain off all fuel by sticking the free end in a jerry can and then opening the balance valve at the other end. Make sure the fuel tank is near empty before attempting to unbolt and lift it.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #122
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Everything you need to do the job is in the OEM toolkit. But a small quarter inch drive socket set with ratchet drive and star bits is quicker. You might need the owner's handbook and service manual to tell you the screw and clip locations for removing all the plastics and the fuel tank. If you do it by guesswork it is easy to break plastic lugs by pulling or pushing in the wrong direction. You have to stop the fuel balance valves and remove the balance pipe. Suggest remove one end of the balance pipe and then drain off all fuel by sticking the free end in a jerry can and then opening the balance valve at the other end. Make sure the fuel tank is near empty before attempting to unbolt and lift it.
Ah, this is what I was trying to ask, thanks! I have the owners manual with the bike, and I have the repair manual downloaded from the other thread on my iPad mini. I'll throw in a small 1/4 ratchet and the bits. When you say "stop" the fuel valves, do you mean plug the lines or turn off the valves. I'm sure when I get a chance to review the service manual it will make more sense. I've heard some talk about fuel line "disconnects", is this something I should be consider since I'll be pulling the tank and servicing the air filter a couple times a year?
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:53 AM   #123
RobZorba
RobZorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Ah, this is what I was trying to ask, thanks! I have the owners manual with the bike, and I have the repair manual downloaded from the other thread on my iPad mini. I'll throw in a small 1/4 ratchet and the bits. When you say "stop" the fuel valves, do you mean plug the lines or turn off the valves. I'm sure when I get a chance to review the service manual it will make more sense. I've heard some talk about fuel line "disconnects", is this something I should be consider since I'll be pulling the tank and servicing the air filter a couple times a year?
Personal opinion, I don't think its worth getting quick connects. They just add another possible point of failure. You've got an equalizing pipe running across the front of the 'bike which is easy to access and which makes a great fuel drain tube. There are stop taps on both sides of this making it very easy. You will also have to disconnect the main fuel feed pipe from the carbs, suggest disconnect it at the carb end, and plug the pipe there in case of residual fuel. There are breather and overflow pipes connected to the fuel filler, you don't need to disconnect them, just pull the complete pipes out as you lift the tank. There are some cable ties to cut, so have a few spares for when you push the pipes back in afterwards. KTM sell orange cable ties ...
Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 AM   #124
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,251
Get the QD

Just wait till you have to pull the cross over line off the stock petcocks ( all kinds of fun). If you ever need to pull off the tank in the field you will be a happy person. There is one QR on the bike already coming off the fuel pump going to the TB's not carb. As far as another point of failure i have had many stock petcocks start to leak including the type that come on the ktm. The nice billet QD shut off on both sides when you pull them apart no fuel loss. I have an extra o-ring in my tool kit if i was to nick the ring. Yes there are over flow lines on top of the take ( evap and over flow) just uncilp the c-clip and do not pull the line off the bike when you lift the tank. Not sure why you would do that as you will have to feed the rubber hose back down thru the bike.

PM me if your going to pull the evap can as this would be the time to do it and i can walk you thru the drill

ebrew screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 04:36 AM
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 AM   #125
iasudoru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I think you know it.
It's a tutorial about installing Unifilter. It explain how to remove the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fuRnsOA9x7w
English (auto-detected) Italian

iasudoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #126
EricHosk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Oz 1190

[QUOTE=OrangeV;24107387]G'day Guys

I have spoken with the warranty man Craig **** of KTM Australia.

I expressed my concern to him concerning the airbox issue with the 2013 and 2014 models.
He has informed me that within two weeks KTM Australia is sending letters to all 1190 owners informing them that they will supply Unifilters at their cost, for all bikes including the R model.

The owners will need to pay for the install.

He also wanted the name of my bike shop contact in my town, to send the filter overnight to them.

G'day Orange V ,
is that correct ? KTM Aus. will be supplying Unifilters to 1190 customers ? That'd be right, I just bought one today.
I am also having problems with a 'clunking' noise coming from the front end when hitting sharp bumps , sounds a bit like steering head bearings . Still WAITING to hear back from KTM , along with the speedo reading 8% over ( ie: speedo reading 100kph - actual 92 kph ) . I've heard that these two problems exist on other 1190's.
Eric
EricHosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:38 AM   #127
RobZorba
RobZorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasudoru View Post
I think you know it.
It's a tutorial about installing Unifilter. It explain how to remove the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fuRnsOA9x7w
That's a really good video - thanks, nerb, for producing it!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #128
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
That's a really good video - thanks, nerb, for producing it!
+1, thanks!
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #129
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
No problem

Also, I have not received any correspondence from KTM, but my dealer accessed the dealernet to tell me which warranty items were outstanding, and he sent me the print out. On the printout it says "warranty duration 36 months. Warranty end date 10.09.2016"... So I guess Australia has received the extended 1 year warranty also!

One of the items is "side stand console"... What is the console?
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #130
RobZorba
RobZorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
No problem

Also, I have not received any correspondence from KTM, but my dealer accessed the dealernet to tell me which warranty items were outstanding, and he sent me the print out. On the printout it says "warranty duration 36 months. Warranty end date 10.09.2016"... So I guess Australia has received the extended 1 year warranty also!

One of the items is "side stand console"... What is the console?
Great news about the warranty!

"console" as in "we are sorry about your late departed side stand"?
Old 05-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #131
Suddenstop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Well I had my airbox apart again, and took a good look as I fitted the uni in. I took some pictures, but the uni filter is definitely bigger and has a much better rubber frame than the original filter. The uni element is about 2mm taller than the stock, and fits much more positively in the airbox.

Win the both filter and top seal replaced I am now confident that the bike is air tight. KTM needs to source a different air filter element. That mann filter and that air box design are not compatible IMO.

Now to go ride that beautiful machine!
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #132
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,288
Good news. I haven't been riding my STD because of this bullshit. Nice to know the UNI will protect the engine.
Can anyone imagine designing such a kick-ass motor then leaving it unprotected from dust. It boggles the mind. Even more so having notice of the problem from '13. Its ganz verruckt. .
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #133
Suddenstop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Good news. I haven't been riding my STD because of this bullshit. Nice to know the UNI will protect the engine.
Can anyone imagine designing such a kick-ass motor then leaving it unprotected from dust. It boggles the mind. Even more so having notice of the problem from '13. Its ganz verruckt. .
+100 million. Having such a kick ass motor and bike, with such a ridiculous problem boggles the mind.

Fit the uni, go ride!
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #134
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
thinking about this last night as I walked by the disassembled 1190 waiting for the Uni to come. how hard can it be to take an airbox off, hook a shop vac to one intake hole and stick a camera in the other then turn on the vac and sprinkle baby powder around the outside. the exact point of entry would be verified and it should be easy to remedy, no?

I still think it is the bottom of the stock filter not being pressed against the frame but??
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #135
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,731
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
I still think it is the bottom of the stock filter not being pressed against the frame but??
So do you think the reason of the leak is wrong assembly and not wrong design?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote