Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
I'd like to the "A" list Moore & Sons Motorcycles in Santa Cruz, Ca. They've been around for 45yrs, have a very loyal customer base. Call 'em, they'll do do damn near anything to make sure your bike and experience are at peak performance. Just do a Google search and start reading the reviews. Highly recommended and worth the trip from anywhere in the SF & South Bay Area.
+1, bought 2 KTMs from them and the head mechanic Tom is an absolute KTM wizard. Small shop so they don't move at the speed of light all the time but the wait is always worth it and they take care of their customers.
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #17
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
well, this index might help explain why most KTM owners are such good mechanics and work on their own bikes and usually can fix them out on the trail/ride instead of pushing them home and then trailering them to the shop… just a thought.
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #18
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 208
Moore & Son - Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
+1, bought 2 KTMs from them and the head mechanic Tom is an absolute KTM wizard. Small shop so they don't move at the speed of light all the time but the wait is always worth it and they take care of their customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
I'd like to add the "A" list Moore & Sons Motorcycles in Santa Cruz, Ca. They've been around for 45yrs, have a very loyal customer base. Call 'em, they'll do damn near anything to make sure your bike and experience are at peak performance. Just do a Google search and start reading the reviews. Highly recommended and worth the trip from anywhere in the SF & South Bay Area.
+100 for John, Tom, and Junior. No muss sand no fuss, they know their bikes and they know their customers. Because it's a small shop they don't have much time to shoot the shit, but if you've got a need or a question I've always found they have the answer. They are always my first stop when something's up.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #19
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
As a fellow bike mechanic, I hold Tom (@ Moore & Sons) in the highest regard. One of the few people I would let work on my bike.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #20
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
We got a local KTM place in the area, Woody's, but its out in the middle of the woods...litterally! and he's not authorised to work on the bigger twins. But he knows his stuff and Is a keen chatter box.... Lots of stories....but only if he likes ya.

The next closest place to me is about 4hrs away and is a big giant place that does Ducati/Triumph/KTM. They're pretty good...and the staff are pretty laid back.

But the best I've seen was the KTM shop in Rome, Italy. When I was living there a friend was doing a bike trip through europe and stayed with us for a bit. He had an older 990 and the waterpump seal was backing out, so we took it to the local KTM Shop.

They looked up the bike and had my buddies complete histry on their computer. Knew exactly waht was going on and had it fixed in no time flat.....In fact they called me up an a Friday afternoon at work and said I need to come get the bike asap as they going riding all weekend and the shop will be closed......If memory serves the service bill was less than dinner out back home for 2...much to the delite of my buddy.

But having said all of that I rarely take my bike to the dealer...owning multiple bikes makes it finacially unviable
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #21
mutt550
restless soul

Oddometer: 39
Freedom Cycle's in Grandview MO. are a great group of people, always ready to help with anything you need. Nothing but GREAT things to say about them!!!

My bet with the low rating is just not as many KTM dealers in US so one or two bad apples really spoils the lot.

And yes I love my 990 Baja!!!!
mutt550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #22
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 790
again if you read the article or look who did the "ratings" it's not really about how "good" a dealer is. it's about how well they convert customers into sales. It's a sales force company, and has nothing to do with customer service, service/shop work, knowledge, friendly attitude, etc.

what most of you are thinking of is a customer satisfaction index, which this "rating" has nothing to do with...
SpeedyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,822
How do you increase your standing by 14 places and still come in dead last? Are there 14 other brands not reflected in the rankings that are even worse? Hoozah, KTM beat Sym!

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #24
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 790
everyone got a little better, but with an open ended scale (i.e doesn't end at 100), KTM had the largest increase of all of the dealers in the list.
SpeedyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #25
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
again if you read the article or look who did the "ratings" it's not really about how "good" a dealer is. it's about how well they convert customers into sales. It's a sales force company, and has nothing to do with customer service, service/shop work, knowledge, friendly attitude, etc.

what most of you are thinking of is a customer satisfaction index, which this "rating" has nothing to do with...
Of course you 're correct; but what I think we're saying, at least I am, is that they may be measuring the wrong thing or maybe the right thing in the wrong way. Either way the math doesn't appear to square with our reported experience.
What keeps me a KTM "customer" is exactly my relationship with my dealer(s) on a day-to-day basis. We all have too many options when it comes to bikes and the differences are small in a practical sense, even for all the chest beating. Ultimately, for KTM and the industry pundits it should be important for them to understand that we spend our money the way we do for a reason.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #26
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Thumb Ramona

All American KTM In Ramona surely rocked big time when I was in dire need.
John and his mechanic are outstandingly helpful.
The epitome of how a workshop should be.
And also thanks to Messrs Crashmaster who led me there, yihaaa!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #27
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Dealers are hit and miss though.

I actually enjoy walking into the local KTM dealer, friendly courteous service, but wont bother even looking at the local Ducati, Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha dealers, wouldnt know decent service if it bit them on the arse!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #28
CaRefugee
Toy Collector

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
All American KTM in Ramona, Ca gets an "A" from me. They know their bikes and customers - plus parts are usually less then a week away unless it's in stock which is often.
Went to Ramona High back in 87 - 88. Rode a KTM 125 when they weren't nearly as popular as they are now. I would have to go "down the hill" to Escondido every time I needed parts for the bike (that was often back in those days). Awesome that you have a dealership there now!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #29
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
So, KTM dealers are dead last in convincing people to buy.....everybody knows that.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #30
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Fort Collins Colorado

BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealer: Dumbest bag of dicks I've ever dealt with. I was treated like a dumbass when I brought my Daytona there for a recall. I was treated even worse when I sold my Daytona and went in with cash in my hand and asked for a slightly better deal than msrp for a new Triumph. I'm am a bit younger (29) and dress comfortable = No one talks to me when I go in there. I will never do business with them again, especially since there is a local mom and pops bmw shop, and a better BMW/Triumph dealer down in Denver that treated me like a fucking god everytime I went in there (Probably why I bought a Triumph from them when I had no intentions of buying a bike).

Honda dealer: I needed a part that I knew they had. They told me that the part wasn't a real thing. I drive 20 minutes home. They call me and said that the part was real and they have it so stop by and pick it up…..

Yamaha dealer: Good people. Never a bad experience.

KTM (in loveland): Nothing but great experiences. Even when I had no intentions of buying anything I was treated with the utmost respect. I was given the keys to the 1190 when it first hit the states, I've been offered other test rides. They know their parts, bikes, and accessories.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote