ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
antipode OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 551
Advice about the area for visiting Aussie riders

Another inmate (Krunch) and I are flying to the US from Australia to ride for a few days (Sep 13-20).

We have rented KLRs out of Las Vegas and plan to ride in the area south of Moab, west of Monticello, North of Flagstaff and east of Las Vegas.

I am preparing the route and have so many things listed that I am not sure any more what is a must and what it is not, so I am looking for some advice from you guys about the Nevada/Arizona portion of the trip (I will post in the 'Rockies' forum to cover the Utah part).

I am also not sure about some 'advice' given by google maps, for example, from Peach Springs to Supai google says it will take us five hours for a 134 mi return trip, is that so? can the Havasu Falls be reached?

Thanks for any advice you guys can share with us!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Nubs
Dakarmelized

Oddometer: 81
I was just mountain biking in Moab a couple of weeks ago. Apparently September is high season in the area so hotels, of which there aren't a ton fill up quickly so book early. Camping is plentiful but many campsites are primitive without facilities or water.

TONS of trails in the area. I did the Slickrock trail which I think might be too technical for KLRs unless you are seriously good... just my opinion. It was pretty challenging on a mountain bike.

I fell in love with the Moab area and will definitely be back when I can spend more time. Southwest Utah also has a lot of nice trails and more forested terrain.

http://www.discovermoab.com/atv.htm
Old 08-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode View Post
Another inmate (Krunch) and I are flying to the US from Australia to ride for a few days (Sep 13-20).

We have rented KLRs out of Las Vegas and plan to ride in the area south of Moab, west of Monticello, North of Flagstaff and east of Las Vegas.

I am preparing the route and have so many things listed that I am not sure any more what is a must and what it is not, so I am looking for some advice from you guys about the Nevada/Arizona portion of the trip (I will post in the 'Rockies' forum to cover the Utah part).

I am also not sure about some 'advice' given by google maps, for example, from Peach Springs to Supai google says it will take us five hours for a 134 mi return trip, is that so? can the Havasu Falls be reached?

Thanks for any advice you guys can share with us!
That's an aggressive plan for 7 days of riding (less the day on each end of screwing around picking up/dropping off bikes). Las Vegas to Moab is almost 500 miles.

The Google Maps info will be using the legal speed limits, so some of your trip will be faster than what Google says. Use a bit of caution because we have had a lot of rain in the last few days, the roads may or may not be passable due to washouts or mud. A lot of the south side of the Grand Canyon is the Hualapai Indian Reservation, so double check that you are able to ride the route you have planned. Check the road conditions before you head for Death Valley, as a little rain can destroy the roads out there. The National Park Service websites normally have the road closures and forest fire information posted. Buying the National Park Pass will be worth it if you plan to go to the Grand Canyon visitor's center ($25 each), Bryce Canyon (another $25 each), Zion National Park (yet another $25), Lake Meade ($10 each) and Red Rock ($7 each). The park pass is $100 and can be used for 2 motorcycles.

The real limit out west is how much fuel and water you can carry. Just because your GPS or map says there is a town, doesn't mean that it exists or has fuel/water/food/anything.

A lot of your proposed riding areas will not have cell phone service. There's also lots of livestock and wildlife that seem to gravitate to the routes you want to ride on.

Have a great ride!
Old 08-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,630
This thread and the author may be able to give you a lot of ideas:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=moab

I've ridden Moab on my KLR a few times, and you are in for a total treat. Make sure you hit the White Rim* trail, one of my other favorites is the Onion Creek / La Sal Loop. On the way there, there are a lot of graded dirt road options that are scenic and easy riding, through Staircase -Escalante National Monument, the Burr Trail*, for example.

For the highway parts, skip the interstates, hit the 9*, the 12*, and the 89.
The 9 goes through Zion, the 12 is flat out jaw droppingly scenic and twisty. Have a great trip and be prepared to take a lot of pictures.

* these are the "musts" in my opinion
Old 08-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
antipode OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
That's an aggressive plan for 7 days of riding (less the day on each end of screwing around picking up/dropping off bikes). Las Vegas to Moab is almost 500 miles.

The Google Maps info will be using the legal speed limits, so some of your trip will be faster than what Google says. Use a bit of caution because we have had a lot of rain in the last few days, the roads may or may not be passable due to washouts or mud. A lot of the south side of the Grand Canyon is the Hualapai Indian Reservation, so double check that you are able to ride the route you have planned. Check the road conditions before you head for Death Valley, as a little rain can destroy the roads out there. The National Park Service websites normally have the road closures and forest fire information posted. Buying the National Park Pass will be worth it if you plan to go to the Grand Canyon visitor's center ($25 each), Bryce Canyon (another $25 each), Zion National Park (yet another $25), Lake Meade ($10 each) and Red Rock ($7 each). The park pass is $100 and can be used for 2 motorcycles.

The real limit out west is how much fuel and water you can carry. Just because your GPS or map says there is a town, doesn't mean that it exists or has fuel/water/food/anything.

A lot of your proposed riding areas will not have cell phone service. There's also lots of livestock and wildlife that seem to gravitate to the routes you want to ride on.

Have a great ride!
Hi tbarstow, not planning to cover all that area, those were the 'borders', the idea was to concentrate in one part or another depending on the advice received. For example we will not do Death Valley, we did that in 2008. I wish we had a few months to cover UT, AZ, CO and NM but for this time a week will have to do.

Thanks for the info about the rain haven't thought about that, will keep checking the NPS sites. Good point about towns, we have that towns-that-exist-only-on-maps issue here but I never thought it was the case in the US.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
antipode OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
This thread and the author may be able to give you a lot of ideas:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=moab

I've ridden Moab on my KLR a few times, and you are in for a total treat. Make sure you hit the White Rim* trail, one of my other favorites is the Onion Creek / La Sal Loop. On the way there, there are a lot of graded dirt road options that are scenic and easy riding, through Staircase -Escalante National Monument, the Burr Trail*, for example.

For the highway parts, skip the interstates, hit the 9*, the 12*, and the 89.
The 9 goes through Zion, the 12 is flat out jaw droppingly scenic and twisty. Have a great trip and be prepared to take a lot of pictures.

* these are the "musts" in my opinion
Hi Stu, thanks for the pointer to the thread, will go over it today as we are having a very rainy Sunday and also all your must-dos. 9 and 12 were on the list but want to check that white rim trail, burr ANC the loop you mention.

What kind of range do you get from the stock tank on the KLR?
Old 08-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
antipode OP
Wanderer

I was re-reading tbarstow comments and was wondering, how do you know if a particular road is part of an Indian reservation and if you can ride it or not?
Old 08-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
I was re-reading tbarstow comments and was wondering, how do you know if a particular road is part of an Indian reservation and if you can ride it or not?
I'd start with online maps, then move to the paper maps.

Looks like you have to buy a permit to ride the reservation:

Permits
A permit must be purchased for all trips off paved roads in the Hualapai Reservation, and the cost was increased recently to a rather high $16 per day for day trips or around $25 for camping.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/ari...servation.html

Different for Havasupai:

No campfires, pets, firearms or alcohol are permitted anywhere on the reservation, and only Hualapai/lower Havasu canyons are open to hiking - all other areas require special permission.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/ari...su_canyon.html

Looks like you have to hike to Supai:

http://www.americansouthwest.net/ari...ai-hiking.html
Old 08-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 288
Ride

You cannot get to Havasupai Falls on roads. It's a 10mi backpack trip into the canyon or a very expensive helicopter ride.

Northern AZ is not as spectacular as southern Utah. Starting from Vegas go to Valley-Fire State Park (Note: State parks are not US National Parks and a US Prks pass is not valid). Then tarmac to Zion National Park, then to Bryce Canyon, then Boulder UT where you take the Burr Trail towards Bullfrog (the ferry that takes you over Lake Powell is closed for repairs as of today so you will have to take the 276 north.) Take the 95 south to Natural Bridges National Monument, then the 261 down Moqui Dugway, through Valley of the Gods, then north to Moab. Yeah, long winded but I have a Google Earth KML if you PM me.

Once in Moab, DO THE WHITE RIM TRAIL! Then relax, and get back however you like.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,630
Quote:
What kind of range do you get from the stock tank on the KLR?
I'd expect your rentals to get at least 180 miles on a tank if they are stock.
I could be on the low side, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
antipode OP
Wanderer

Thanks guys.
Processing all the info and finishing plans now.
Thanks for the comment about the National Parks vs State Parks, I would have missed that one for sure.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
rascalflyer
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
You cannot get to Havasupai Falls on roads. It's a 10mi backpack trip into the canyon or a very expensive helicopter ride.

Northern AZ is not as spectacular as southern Utah. Starting from Vegas go to Valley-Fire State Park (Note: State parks are not US National Parks and a US Prks pass is not valid). Then tarmac to Zion National Park, then to Bryce Canyon, then Boulder UT where you take the Burr Trail towards Bullfrog (the ferry that takes you over Lake Powell is closed for repairs as of today so you will have to take the 276 north.) Take the 95 south to Natural Bridges National Monument, then the 261 down Moqui Dugway, through Valley of the Gods, then north to Moab. Yeah, long winded but I have a Google Earth KML if you PM me.

Once in Moab, DO THE WHITE RIM TRAIL! Then relax, and get back however you like.
That is really the best way to go. I am in Las Vegas and if you guys need any assistance I am here for whatever you guys need.
rascalflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Krunch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalflyer View Post
That is really the best way to go. I am in Las Vegas and if you guys need any assistance I am here for whatever you guys need.
I am starting to salivate at the prospect of this ride - I can't wait!

Thanks for the very kind words of support rascalflyer. Who knows, maybe we could meet for a beer at the end of the ride to celebrate what should be a magnificent week, or as Antipode is now calling it, "An E P I C ride!", Heck - why not come along? ;-)
Krunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
rascalflyer
n00b

I am just now getting back into riding but a few years ago and when I was younger I took many great trips. I rode to Guatemala 8 times and back. In 2001 was last long ride. I rode around Portugal, Spain and France stopping in Andorra for a week and I met the most wonderful people on the road. I missed the road and the people. Good luck on your ride and enjoy it. The southwest of the US is simply breath taking. The weather is just getting nice too. We always have some nasty heat waves in July and August but September is great for riding. My wife used to ride with me but now she won't. So we sold her bike and I ride mostly alone but I just came back from a ride to New Mexico and it was a blast. I'll take you up on that beer. Good luck. I would like to go on that ride, I am getting the suspension lowered on my DRZ and hopefully I will get it back within a few days. I am a short squid. My other bike is a G650GS so no dirt riding for me till I get the DRZ back together. So who knows I might have the chance to join you on that awesome ride.

rascalflyer screwed with this post 08-30-2014 at 06:21 PM
Old 09-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
rascalflyer
n00b

road conditions

Just an FYI guys, We had some nasty rain yesterday and the main road to Valley of Fire is closed and expected to open on Friday.due to severe flooding. Check with NDOT just to make sure that you won't get stuck the first couple of days out of Las Vegas. I will post any updates that I am aware of. Good Luck.