Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
m25443 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question 1190 Adv - priority for these mods?

Looking to make several mods to meet my particular usage and wanted to get your input on prioritizing the mods. I plan to do 3-4 trips of 3-6 days per year, mostly paved roads on those trips. Most of my riding will be local, riding to various off road and gravel road areas. This is for the 1190 R, and my suited up riding weight (not counting luggage) is ~275 lb. I am an intermediate off road rider and like to ride somewhat aggressively off road (no supercross, obviously), so some suspension work is needed.

I plan to eventually have all these mods completed. What would be the top few that you recommend?

KTM Heated Grips $130
KTM Bad Fuel Dongle $110
Uni air filter
Black Dog Skid plate $500
BDCW Platform LOW Footpegs for KTM-v2 BLACK (1/2 lower than stock) $244
BDCW Radiator Guard, Black $90
Exhaust w/no cat
Smaller muffler
Remove canister
Upgrade fork springs
Upgrade rear shock
BDCW Fork Light Package for KTM 1190 R $420.00
Roadlok Disc Lock $240
Bar risers and/or taller & wider bars
Fender Eliminator
Raised Front Fender
Bar end mirrors
Throttle tamer
TKC 80 front and rear
m25443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 388
It's very personal, and you'll probably get hundreds of different answers. This is just my own opinion, no absolute right or wrong ...

Prioritized top, for protection / long life of the 'bike:
  • Unifilter (absolute no #1!)
  • Skid plate
  • Radiator guard
Next priorities - ride comfort and safety:
  • Maybe knobblies if regularly riding long distances off road, but standard Contis much better for grip and cornering on-road.
  • Instead of bar end mirrors, which are prone to damage, get the KTM mirror extension pieces that relocate the stock mirrors 4 cm further out.
  • Auxiliary lights.
  • Luggage (not on your list)?
  • Heated grips
  • Comfort seats e.g. PowerParts Ergo (not on your list)?
  • If riding long distances off-road e.g with "Off Road" ABS mode and TC disabled then you might find the KTM Bad Fuel Dongle useful to remember the settings, but it's not essential.
Some other comments:
  • The standard suspension on the "R" is among best available, just set up preload and damping for your weight etc. No need to change it.
  • The stock silencer performs well and sounds good to me, also it's quiet enough for track days in the UK with 85dB noise limits, unlike several of the aftermarket silencers which fail the noise tests.
  • The standard footpeg brackets can be rotated to the 1cm low position. If you fit lower/ wider footpegs they'll be scraping the road when cornering.
  • Not sure what you mean by a "throttle tamer". In "Rain" and "Off Road" modes the engine is "tamed" to 2/3 its normal power. Also with TC enabled, power is "tamed" to ensure no wheel slip. Power Commander are developing a PC5 for use with the KTM 1190, but it's a big expense and small benefit imo.
Suggest you spend the rest of your money on fuel and go ride!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
georgian cliff
n00b

Oddometer: 8
A few minor changes to the previous list:

1. Unifilter
2. Bash plate and rad grill - I installed B&B and am very pleased with the fit, especially that the bash plate does not mount to the engine and provides great under-carriage coverage to the back of the bike.
3. Changed front sprocket - I want to use 6th gear more often and not always be breaking the speed limit.

Then my personalized stuff:
4. Remus exhaust - now sounds like a bike.
5. Have both Nomada and Andy Stapz - depends on length of trip
6. Handlebar risers
7. Side stand extension plate - hate a "sleeping bike"
8. Rear rack plate - again the B&B product
9. Raised the front fender
10. Puig touring windshield / smoke
11. Headlight screen
12. Replacement of plastic chain guards with metal

And a few other minor tweaks.
georgian cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
m25443 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Looks like the uni, skid plate, and rad guard are pretty much a given.

I'll have to tinker with the adjustments on the suspension and see if I can find a happy combination for my weight and riding style.

The throttle tamer is a cam on the throttle that slows down the rate of actuating the throttle the first few degrees of rotation, providing more control of the throttle in low speed situations (parking lots, single track, etc.). Helps spare the clutch a bit as well during low speed activities.

-Mike
m25443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
evermore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Prioritized top, for protection / long life of the 'bike:
  • Unifilter (absolute no #1!)
I see the filter upgrade mentioned many a times.. is the stock filter setup actually failing for owners or is this more just peace of mind?
evermore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #6
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
I see the filter upgrade mentioned many a times.. is the stock filter setup actually failing for owners or is this more just peace of mind?
The stock filter setup is failing for everyone, both 2013 and 2014 versions, trashing the engine after dust is sucked in. See the various airbox / filter threads wirh pictures. KTM seem to prefer to replace engines, they have no official solution in place worldwide that works. Nor have KTM even communicated with owners, with one exception. KTM Australia (Greg Chambers) has written to all owners and KTM Australia are fitting Unifilters as standard for all the Wizards in Oz. Everywhere else in the world, KTM are in denial about the problem. So owners are having to take matters in our own hands, at our cost, and the one and only solution that is proved to work is the Unifilter manufactured by Uniflow in AU.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
evermore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
The stock filter setup is failing for everyone, both 2013 and 2014 versions, trashing the engine after dust is sucked in. See the various airbox / filter threads wirh pictures. KTM seem to prefer to replace engines, they have no official solution in place worldwide that works. Nor have KTM even communicated with owners, with one exception. KTM Australia (Greg Chambers) has written to all owners and KTM Australia are fitting Unifilters as standard for all the Wizards in Oz. Everywhere else in the world, KTM are in denial about the problem. So owners are having to take matters in our own hands, at our cost, and the one and only solution that is proved to work is the Unifilter manufactured by Uniflow in AU.

that bad huh? thanks for the heads up. It's often hard to distinguish what's farkle and what's necessary.
evermore is online now   Reply With Quote