Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #136
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
We need some more pics in here:
yeah even if we don't rate 'em we can post 'em. of all kinds. this can be an awesome general information liter bike thread. i mean probably already one around here, but its a big forum and needs to be kept current!

badassery right here

Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #137
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
no
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #138
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I'm sure they'd be tons of fun, but I can't imagine having a literbike (whether its a supersport, or even a naked like a Speedtriple/S1000RR/Superduke). I've got a decade-old, low-compression, air cooled twin that can still outperform more than 90% of the other vehicles around me at any given time. I haven't approached the limits of its performance (aside from cornering clearance), so for me, there isn't much of a point in "upgrading" to a literbike.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #139
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,082
Ah, but the point isn't about need but want...

My buddies bike, 200 hp at the wheel.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #140
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
yeah even if we don't rate 'em we can post 'em. of all kinds. this can be an awesome general information liter bike thread. i mean probably already one around here, but its a big forum and needs to be kept current!

badassery right here

If only I could get that motor in something more sensible

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #141
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If only I could get that motor in something more sensible
this shares the same motor, yes? looks pretty sensible, the Ninja 1000

Old 05-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #142
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
this shares the same motor, yes? looks pretty sensible, the Ninja 1000

And here's a sort of real world performance comparison between a Ninja 1000 and a ZX10R. What all this demonstrates is consistent with my own experiences, that max HP numbers can be a very misleading indicator of a bikes performance street wise.

JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #143
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Didn't need that image...

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #144
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
this thread reminds me i need to watch my speed, slow down sooner sometimes. i am cautious and a decent rider, but this new found speed must be respected and used judiciously. things can slow down pretty fast on the freeway's and when they do my speed needs to be prudent

i post that just to remind and commit myself to being aware of my speed and conditions when moving fast. it's a "new" fast for me. and this is a fast bike thread so its almost appropriate

um, but back to liter bikes. this thread needs pics. i am going to post a liter bike, you are gonna rate it on a 1/10 scale for me against other Superbikes. so set a bar and rate it. just to help me understand what makes a "Superbike" in the world of motorcycles

the R1 is a badass. I owned one briefly, I thought I was responsible enough after 3 years of racing/tracking a SV650. It still scared me. The engine is so charismatic and the power delivery so smooth, amazing throttle response too. I would rate that bike a solid 8.5 and have been secretly tossing the idea of buying another one. I only sold it cause it loved to run hot in the city.

Oh yea, you are definately missing out if you haven't ridden a modern (think 2008+) liter bike. They have gone thru phases and the engines have been quite different throughout the years. For example the early R1's made loads of torque and killer midrange but the peak HP wasn't as impressive. Then around 2005 they were all about the bragging rights peak HP, frustrating as hell to ride. I hated the 05 R1 I test road, the power was almost completely unusable. Then the latest gen where they smoothed it out, sacrificed some top end again, but kept lots of power across the board. I think the current R1 only makes about 155hp at the wheels.

But seriously, it is in a different universe than something like an FZ1, FZ6, any 600, 750, or old 80's 90's lump. The power is insane. When you decide to open it up, usually you are already doing 60, then there is a blur and from 60-120 feels like you had time to take in a sharp breath. It will continue pulling hard until 160 as if it were first gear and the engine wasn't even trying. Only then does it start to taper slightly. A must try. I've owned and ridden a lot of "fast" bikes like my 990 superduke, SV1000, 600 supersports, and currently ride a gixxer 750. None of them are in the same ballpark as the R1.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 AM   #145
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
I've owned and ridden a lot of "fast" bikes like my 990 superduke, SV1000, 600 supersports, and currently ride a gixxer 750. None of them are in the same ballpark as the R1.
The following web page lists a current (2012) model R1 in terms of quarter mile acceleration as being 16th fastest on the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_acceleration
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #146
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
One other half-pint I found to be an experience to be reckoned with - Aprilia SVX550. Claimed 70 hp at a shade over 300 lb. Incredible ability to wave the front wheel in the air when on the throttle and the same with the rear wheel with one finger on the brake to stop. It would take a week just to become semi-competent with it and probably a year to get to ride near potential.
Having owned both liter bikes and a SXV 550, I'd say I have to agree that the lil 550 is kinda close. Power to weight ratio is fantastic on the Ape. But it still ain't a liter bike, it really never hits "warp speed" in my opinion. It runs out of juice about the time a liter bike is ready to GOOOOOO!!!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:22 AM   #147
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
The following web page lists a current (2012) model R1 in terms of quarter mile acceleration as being 16th fastest on the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_acceleration
The R1 over the years has actually sacrificed top end power for more overall power usability. They have a great total package in both handling and power these days. The new cross plane design Yamaha came out with in '09 really helped make the bike a fantastic street bike.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:25 AM   #148
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post

Motorcycle drag racing is the epitome of talent vs equipment. I've seen guys on 600's beat out Hayabusa's at drag races.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #149
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #150
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
My FZ1. Sadly, this is the best picture I have of it, and I have had it over a year.

There is this one too. The FZ1 and my old Ninja 500 that got replaced.