Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #181
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

So this kinda terrifies me, in a good way...

...That, and I found an article about the new 1199 Superleggera with a dyno of 192 HP at the wheel and it should weigh in slightly less than 390 lbs! 50 more HP than my bike, and it weighs over 100 lbs less! If my bike is able to hit Warp Speed 1, this thing must teleport.

It's good to be terrified every once in a while; keeps you alive.

I've always wanted to teleport!!

However, I've always been a little apprehensive about my body parts arriving at my destination all jumbled up...

I suppose that's why I've always stuck to Enduros, Sport Tourers and Big Trailies.

The 2014 KTM 1290 SD has me really wanting a hooligan bike though.

(Probably not really the same as some of the bikes you guys are on about.)

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame

DOGSROOT screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 09:27 AM Reason: Drunken inanity...
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #182
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
It's good to be terrified every once in a while;
The 2014 KTM 1290 SD has me really wanting a hooligan bike though.

(Probably not really the same as some of the bikes you guys are on about.)
Given that the the 1290 Super Duke R weighs 189kg, and makes about 192 HP with the Akropovic Exhaust alone, that's a near 1:1 power to weight ratio, and probably could reach 200mph if you removed the rev limiter and duct tapped your hands to the handebars, I'd say it's well above the level of the majority of the bikes in this thread.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #183
justafurnaceman
Imaginary

Oddometer: 977
So I was talking to the wife about a possible superbike for next summer and she asked me which one I was going to get. Of course after I name off a few she follows up with 'How much do they cost?'. After I tell her how much a Panigale R costs she mentions that it's twice the cost of the GSXR 1000. Then she started quizzing me on the differences.

Now she has me doubting on what bike to wish for. I saw some performance upgrades for the GSXR 1000 that cost any where between $5000 - 10000 and supposedly the upper end will get you to 215 bhp. For a $13,799 Japanese bike even the $10,000 upgrade will be below the Panigale R. Of course the next step after engine mods (or maybe before depending on who you are) the suspension will need an upgrade.

The bottom line that I'm searching for is, "Can the GSXR be upgraded to meet Panigale R specs and cost less?"

Here's some other things to consider:
Weight - 30lb difference (at least)
Looks - Is there anything sexier than the Panigale R?
Electronics - ?? This is a big difference isn't it?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #184
Jim Moore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
So I was talking to the wife about a possible superbike for next summer and she asked me which one I was going to get. Of course after I name off a few she follows up with 'How much do they cost?'. After I tell her how much a Panigale R costs she mentions that it's twice the cost of the GSXR 1000. Then she started quizzing me on the differences.

Now she has me doubting on what bike to wish for. I saw some performance upgrades for the GSXR 1000 that cost any where between $5000 - 10000 and supposedly the upper end will get you to 215 bhp. For a $13,799 Japanese bike even the $10,000 upgrade will be below the Panigale R. Of course the next step after engine mods (or maybe before depending on who you are) the suspension will need an upgrade.

The bottom line that I'm searching for is, "Can the GSXR be upgraded to meet Panigale R specs and cost less?"

Get an 05/06 GSXR 1000 and throw some aftermarket electronics and suspension at it. For whatever reason people still talk about those bikes in hushed tones, like they were the epitome of superbike development.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #185
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4rks View Post
Given that the the 1290 Super Duke R weighs 189kg, and makes about 192 HP with the Akropovic Exhaust alone, that's a near 1:1 power to weight ratio, and probably could reach 200mph if you removed the rev limiter and duct tapped your hands to the handebars, I'd say it's well above the level of the majority of the bikes in this thread.
Well, that settles it then, Sp4rks.

I'm gettin' me one of them there Austrian SuperBikes an' a roll of duck tape.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #186
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,108

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #187
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:

well you can get yourself a dam nice japanese bike for the price of the panigale but you will never be able to upgrade it to a frameless design. What do you like about the gsxr? Performance wise they are all splitting hairs anyways so the best way to shop for a literbike is to go ride them all and find the one that fits the best. I think the only thing that rivals the panigales electronics is a BMW s1000rr hp4. If you want to step back from the razors edge of absolute best, there are a lot of options.

cbr1000rr - refined chassis, good midrange power, rides like a 600
zx10r - major hp and good traction control, aiming at the s1000rr
R1 - great street suspension, ok TC, wonderful crossplane motor, a bit heavier on the scales

The other thing about the "sensation" of speed on a literbike is the gearing. They are geared so tall that by the time you let out the clutch and start getting into the powerband in 1st gear, you are already breaking the speed limit. Unless you launch, there is very little brain power going on between 0-60mph. You're rolling along and 50 or 60 and see an open stretch, wack the throttle, and suddenly you are doing triple digits in what seems like half a city block.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #188
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4rks View Post
I signed up for a test ride next week on the standard superduke, a stupid move since I can't afford one and I pretty much already know what riding one is going to do to me.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:23 AM   #189
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollocks View Post

yes please
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #190
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:

I was liter bike shopping last summer. I checked out what was out there. Go ride a few different ones and see which one trips your trigger. I wouldn't worry so much about the spec sheets. Go try a bunch of them out and see which one speaks to you. Here's my take on what is out there:

I couldn't live with the Panigale and the heat it generated when riding at a slower pace(like when stuck behind a car on a 2 lane road for a while with no place to pass). Absolutely gorgeous looking. Sounded good.

I think the Ape RSV4 and the R1 with an exhaust sound the best. I was worried about reliability on the Ape.

The Japanese liter bikes are all rock solid bikes(never tried the Honda). The R1 feels like a wide bike. I wanted a light and thin bike. The R1 wasn't it. But they sound awesome. Comfy. I like the R1 looks. ZX10R is a great bike. Great power, light feel. Not sure on the ergos for a longer ride. I have always liked the Kawasakis(thus why I kept my ZX12 for so long). The GSXR felt like -well, a GSXR. Telepathic shifter. More comfortable than the ZX10. Handled good. The GSXR's do everything well. Not a standout in any category, but solid.

The S1000RR pulled the hardest when wound to the throttle stop. Feels small like I wanted. I didn't think I would like the ergos on the S1000RR over a 300-400 mile ride(I've only rode one for 20-30 miles at a time).

I fell in love with the KTM RC8R looks and chassis/handling. Feels light and thin. Ergonomics were awesome. The bike is fast, but not awe inspiring like the I4's. It is deceptive in how it builds speed. Doesn't feel fast until you look at the speedo. My buddy's S1000RR will walk away from it in a straight line though. I 'm faster through the mountains on mine vs his. It carves through turns for me. Mine gets far more attention anywhere we stop though...

While I love my RC8R, I would still like to have another I-4 liter bike. The warp speed feeling is a rush. I would probably get a ZX10 or R1(if they put it on a diet next year).
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #191
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Let's not forget the ...

or..of course..the
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #192
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Let's not forget the ...

or..of course..the
The VMAX may be quick in a straight line, but it won't compare to a modern sport bike once there is a need to stop or turn. Definitely wouldn't be fun trying to take one around the 'Ring....
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #193
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post
The VMAX may be quick in a straight line, but it won't compare to a modern sport bike once there is a need to stop or turn. Definitely wouldn't be fun trying to take one around the 'Ring....
Oh I 100% agree but for sheer, brutal, straight line power, it's hard to compete - and, even better, they're naked - all the best bikes are :p
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #194
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
-- - and, even better, they're naked - all the best bikes are :p
Ever wonder why F-16s have canopies?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #195
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Ever wonder why F-16s have canopies?
Because dogs aren't pilots :p