Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #241
Dieselrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Just wait 'til you really wring it out. Then it'll be you looking down and saying, "holy crap, I am going 45, 50, 60 over the speed limit!"

I took a sweeping right beautifully tonight, I attribute it to the bikes amazing handling and less whatever riding ability I have. The turn leads into a straight before a sweeping left.

The little voice that gets you in trouble reared it's ugly head " just turn the throttle a little more in the straight, let me stretch..."

None of that right now.
Dieselrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #242
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselrob View Post
I just moved from my ACE 750cc cruiser to an 08 CBR 1000RR.

Tonight I was getting acclimated to the bike, the brakes, how the bike shifts/downshifts, what it likes and does not like.

You really do look down and go holy crap, I am going 45, 50, 60, the bike just moves with an ease.

Its hard to explain, the bike just commands respect from the rider, a healthy fear so to speak. I love this bike, I want to hone and practice my skills so I can be a worthy rider to this monster.

Welp time to buy a suit and get that ass to the track.

Seriously DO NOT push a liter bike on the street, first gear will crush pretty much any posted speed limit ....anywhere.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #243
Dieselrob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post

Seriously DO NOT push a liter bike on the street, first gear will crush pretty much any posted speed limit ....anywhere.
Plan on it. My setup now feels inadequate
Old 05-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #244
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post

+1
More importantly than the speed limit, an off on the street will crush pretty much anything inside you before it crushes whatever you just hit.
No trees, poles, cars or bus stops right next to the circuit...
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #245
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 514
I have been content with my VFR800 power wise, however the urge to upgrade has been grinding at me for some time.
Looking at upping to a litre bike but I have my worries, fears and doubts.

Mainly, will I be ok with owning and riding a bike that I can really only use about 5-10% of on the street. I don't live near a track so tracking it will be a rare event.
I'm sure it will look and sound great and ride really well, but there was something about hammering my zzr250 from every set of lights and not breaking the law. I missed that when I got my vfr and found it a bit boring at first.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:41 AM   #246
Dieselrob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat110 View Post
I have been content with my VFR800 power wise, however the urge to upgrade has been grinding at me for some time.

Mainly, will I be ok with owning and riding a bike that I can really only use about 5-10% of on the street. I don't live near a track so tracking it will be a rare event.
I'm sure it will look and sound great and ride really well, but there was something about hammering my zzr250 from every set of lights and not breaking the law. I missed that when I got my vfr and found it a bit boring at first.
Speed is speed and 80 plus on any bike will get you in trouble. I wouldnt let the bikes potential deter you if its something you feel you want to do.

I can tell you this, its hard to convey how a litre bike handles. Its simply amazing, you have immediate power in every gear. Its movements are fluid and precise.

It commands respect from the rider but brings a lot of enjoyment.

Im in the same boat track occasionally but im more of a ride all the time kind of guy. The riding im more inclined to do is twisty roads.

If you have the urge to upgrade I would do it. Take it from a recent upgrade rider to a litre. Take it slow at first and learn the bike and you will do great

Dieselrob screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 04:47 AM
Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #247
JimmyFallen
Anarchist

Oddometer: 93
A liter bike is not a "must have" but once you get one, the right one, there's just NO going back! Lol!! Honestly, I have both a 600 and liter bike and I really could get by w/o the liter bike. Of course, I don't so there's that. Lol!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #248
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
And typically, 4 cylinders, with a power to weight ratio that (electronic aids disabled) requires planning to use fully, and should come with a warning labels that says "Notify next of kin before attempting to operate this. Really, we mean it."

Your R1100S is what, 100hp maybe? The S1000RR is nearly double that and weighs less.
My first encounter with superpower was with a k1200r. It was the closest thing to teleportation. The way it spooled power from the bottom was second to none. Somehow the k1300s was not as exciting.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #249
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat110 View Post

It is not the size of the fish, but the size of the fishing rod what matters.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #250
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselrob View Post
I can tell you this, its hard to convey how a litre bike handles. Its simply amazing, you have immediate power in every gear. Its movements are fluid and precise.

It commands respect from the rider but brings a lot of enjoyment.
I'm not sure this accurately described my friend's 1984 Honda Interceptor 1000. It was a beast, fighting you the whole way. It did not like to turn under power. and didn't stop very well. It did have an abundance of power, however.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #251
Dieselrob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I'm not sure this accurately described my friend's 1984 Honda Interceptor 1000. It was a beast, fighting you the whole way. It did not like to turn under power. and didn't stop very well. It did have an abundance of power, however.

I think im just blinded by the new to me bike and my first sportbike. Cruisers dont really handle all that well
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #252
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Laugh

Quote:

I had one of those. 1120 pistons , cams and V&H exhaust. GSXR1100s couldn't touch it.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #253
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I had one of those. 1120 pistons , cams and V&H exhaust. GSXR1100s couldn't touch it.
We have a mountain (foothill really) pass called Pacheco Pass where high winds are the norm, lots of truck traffic, with uneven areas next to concrete barriers. I usually do about 70 mph, and slow down when the gusty winds hit me. Crazy riders will do 80-90 through there.

Back before helmet laws, my friend with the Interceptor took my little brother back to the San Francisco Bay Area to hang out for a couple days. The next time I saw my bro, he was a little shell shocked from the ride. He said the slowest they went over that pass was 110 mph. Neither of them had helmets or any sort of riding gear besides hiking boots.

My friend said he had been taking it easy, because he was nervous about riding with a passenger.

Not surprisingly, about a year later he t-boned a car at 110 mph and severed his head and one of his arms from the rest of his body. The car flipped upside down on top of him. The whole thing was in the San Jose Mercury Newspaper. I miss that crazy fucker.

The Liter Bike demands respect...

High Country Herb screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 09:02 AM
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #254
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:

For the purpose of this discussion, I think "modern" liter bike are what is being discussed. There simply is no comparison between a 2014 R1 and a 1984 Interceptor.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #255
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
We have a mountain (foothill really) pass called Pacheco Pass where high winds are the norm, lots of truck traffic, with uneven areas next to concrete barriers. I usually do about 70 mph, and slow down when the gusty winds hit me. Crazy riders will do 80-90 through there.

Back before helmet laws, my friend with the Interceptor took my little brother back to the San Francisco Bay Area to hang out for a couple days. The next time I saw my bro, he was a little shell shocked from the ride. He said the slowest they went over that pass was 110 mph. Neither of them had helmets or any sort of riding gear besides hiking boots.

My friend said he had been taking it easy, because he was nervous about riding with a passenger.

Not surprisingly, about a year later he t-boned a car at 110 mph and severed his head and one of his arms from the rest of his body. The car flipped upside down on top of him. The whole thing was in the San Jose Mercury Newspaper. I miss that crazy fucker.

The Liter Bike demands respect...