ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #781
cb200t
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Bellefontaine, OH
Oddometer: 216
I got to ride my friend's CBR1000RR. I handed him the keys after a short time and said "I am not mature enough to ride this motorcycle." I didn't even get it above 85mph, it wasn't even in its powerband (stayed below 8K). I don't know how the squids do it.
__________________
CB200T Build thread: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...storation.html
cb200t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 AM   #782
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wraith Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb200t View Post
I got to ride my friend's CBR1000RR. I handed him the keys after a short time and said "I am not mature enough to ride this motorcycle." I didn't even get it above 85mph, it wasn't even in its powerband (stayed below 8K). I don't know how the squids do it.
I think that's normal the first time (bikes are like women). It was the same when I tried one for the first time at the age of 19. But you get used to it.
__________________
"Why not stay in disguise all the time? You know, look like everyone else."
"Because we shouldn't have to."
Wraith Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #783
JimmyFallen
Anarchist
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Motorcycle Nirvana
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb200t View Post
I got to ride my friend's CBR1000RR. I handed him the keys after a short time and said "I am not mature enough to ride this motorcycle." I didn't even get it above 85mph, it wasn't even in its powerband (stayed below 8K). I don't know how the squids do it.
Dude, that's the best part!! You're scared at first, that's common sense speaking to you. Then, you start thinking "maybe I'll try it again". Next thing you know, you're doing wheelies in third at a buck twenty! Lol!!
__________________
Something clever.
JimmyFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #784
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Bikes don't kill.

I never understood why it would be desirable to control yourself.

I'm curious, are you an anarchist?

I always thought the best political system would be anarchy for me, and totalitarianism for everyone else.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #785
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I'm curious, are you an anarchist?
I think you mean assholist.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #786
Human Ills
Useful Idiom
 
Human Ills's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: South (Dog help me) Bay
Oddometer: 23,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I'm curious, are you an anarchist?

I always thought the best political system would be anarchy for me, and totalitarianism for everyone else.
Yeah...you're not thinking of anarchism
__________________
that guy is in for an awakening from people who will ride all dammed day for a sandwich-eatpasta
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #787
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,773
I guess that would be OK too. I'll be the asshole, and everyone else can be my minions.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #788
Dieselrob
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb200t View Post
I got to ride my friend's CBR1000RR. I handed him the keys after a short time and said "I am not mature enough to ride this motorcycle." I didn't even get it above 85mph, it wasn't even in its powerband (stayed below 8K). I don't know how the squids do it.
Heh, I use to ride an 08 CBR1000RR.

The FIRST time you really hug the tank and really get on the throttle, you start to question if you could time travel. The rush is unbelievable.

I now ride a Super Tenere as I commute and a liter bike doesn't support the best body position to commute long distances. I might jump back on a liter bike one of these days, as it's hard to ever quench that rush with anything else.
Dieselrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #789
Rapid One
The name says it all
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Auto racing capital of the world
Oddometer: 267
Allow me to show my stupidity. I've (for some reason) been following this thread and what I want to try to understand is this.
What is the popular definition of a litre bike? My mind tells me that a litre bike is a bike with an engine that displaces 1000cc yet many of the posts on this thread seem to indicate something else or something extra or Damn, I don't know but it appears to be more than just displacement.
Rapid One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #790
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
Allow me to show my stupidity. I've (for some reason) been following this thread and what I want to try to understand is this.
What is the popular definition of a litre bike? My mind tells me that a litre bike is a bike with an engine that displaces 1000cc yet many of the posts on this thread seem to indicate something else or something extra or Damn, I don't know but it appears to be more than just displacement.
I'm with you, up to a point. The term, as used in this thread, is a misnomer (or possibly a yank only term). On this side of the pond we'd refer to them as hyper-sports bikes - the 150+bhp sports bastards that are capable of ripping your face off every time you accelerate, decelerate or go around a bend (or, in the case of the RSV4R - simply look at it)

Displacement really has very little to do with it else my old 1100 Guzzi with its whopping 85bhp would be in the running ;p and that's why a few posters have taken a wee bit of a bashing for suggesting their 1000cc + bikes fit into this category.
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #791
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I'm with you, up to a point. The term, as used in this thread, is a misnomer (or possibly a yank only term). On this side of the pond we'd refer to them as hyper-sports bikes - the 150+bhp sports bastards that are capable of ripping your face off every time you accelerate, decelerate or go around a bend (or, in the case of the RSV4R - simply look at it)

Displacement really has very little to do with it else my old 1100 Guzzi with its whopping 85bhp would be in the running ;p and that's why a few posters have taken a wee bit of a bashing for suggesting their 1000cc + bikes fit into this category.
Light weight has a lot to do with it as well. My Streetfighter weighs 400 without fuel.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #792
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer
 
Vertical C's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 2,397
A litre bike is the bike used by the manufacturer to homologate their wsbk bike.

Some riders with lesser bikes who want to be included want to add their bike so they can show off or something.

Edit I realise that not all manufacturers are still in wsbk.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #793
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Light weight has a lot to do with it as well. My Streetfighter weighs 400 without fuel.
Sure, it's pretty light. But they usually dyno around 135ish rwhp. Imagine an even lighter bike, with another almost 50hp.

My S1000RR dynoed at 186rwhp.

I told the guy that bought it that it would make his 2008 CBR 1000RR feel slow. He didn't believe me at first, but texted me today telling me how his CBR felt like a 600.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #794
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
A litre bike is the bike used by the manufacturer to homologate their wsbk bike.

Some riders with lesser bikes who want to be included want to add their bike so they can show off or something.

Edit I realise that not all manufacturers are still in wsbk.

Nope. It merely describes a certain level of performance.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #795
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer
 
Vertical C's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Nope. It merely describes a certain level of performance.
Which is?

That's why homologate works better as a definition as it will always be true as well. A litre bike today is not the same power as a litre bike 10 years ago
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014