Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #106
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
On the power spread thing, IMO anyone who thinks any twin has a wider power spread than a modern I-4 hyper sports 1000 is dreaming. That GSX-R I rode was pulling really hard at 4500, and at 12,000 I think it was still short of the power peak. They make good power to 14,000 or therabouts. 6-7K is just the lower end of the midrange and they sure r hauling there.

What they do lack compared with low-revving twins at the low-end is throttle response. Because they run huge throttle bodies, you feel less of a kick when u open them up under 5K. But that doesn't mean they're not pulling there. Line up your torquer twin beside one and you'd soon find that out.

I don't flatter myself that my Superbike engined Ducati with a stock 115rwhp has more go at 4K than a GSX-R1000 with a stock 160rwhp. Having stepped off one and onto the other, that I-4 had way more there.

yeah, i kept reading about the lack of low range power on i4's. then I got on one, hit the throttle, and just about flew backwards off the bike. granted, it was an FZ1, which has the EXUP to improve the low end, but still. lack of low end, my ass.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:32 AM   #107
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
yeah, i kept reading about the lack of low range power on i4's. then I got on one, hit the throttle, and just about flew backwards off the bike. granted, it was an FZ1, which has the EXUP to improve the low end, but still. lack of low end, my ass.
The fact is, nothing is making you putz around in the bottom of the rev range. That's why there's a transmission. The only time I'm ever in the low end of the power on a I4 is when I'm taking off from a stop.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #108
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,157
The i4's do nothing 4 me, but a big lump of a twin, now that's something I can get down with. I lust for it, even.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #109
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
what are the "detuned" liter bikes like to ride? like the CBR1000R, FZ1, and Ninja 1000? are they "just a taste" of their faster counterparts are can they up and hustle almost just as well?

do they blast off, too?
I have a 2002 FZ1. When new around 140 HP to the crank. Uh, yeah. Its fast.

However, even with a slightly detuned version of the R1 motor (R1 of the time was 148 hp) it still weighs like 540 lbs. That extra weight keeps the FZ in check. I can outrun pretty much any car from a red light (most exceptions add two zeros to the end of what I paid for this bike), and the newer supersport bikes leave me

Had an F150 try to block me from passing him prior to a red light yesterday. Just after the light is a passing zone. By the first curve a 1/4 mile ahead he was pretty small in my rear view
Old 05-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #110
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I have a 2002 FZ1. When new around 140 HP to the crank. Uh, yeah. Its fast.

However, even with a slightly detuned version of the R1 motor (R1 of the time was 148 hp) it still weighs like 540 lbs. That extra weight keeps the FZ in check. I can outrun pretty much any car from a red light (most exceptions add two zeros to the end of what I paid for this bike), and the newer supersport bikes leave me

Had an F150 try to block me from passing him prior to a red light yesterday. Just after the light is a passing zone. By the first curve a 1/4 mile ahead he was pretty small in my rear view

people try to drag race me in their cars from lights all the time. blows my mind. i mean, really, in your little 4-banger Japanese sedan, you think you're going to beat a 130+ hp motorcycle off the line? gimme a break.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #111
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
With a liter you are suddenly thinking to yourself, "Hey, I can make that gap fifteen cars ahead!"
Exactly why I commute on a KLR. If the opportunity is available, I take it every time. It's not an option on the KLR, which keeps me out of trouble.

From time to time I leave the bike at work and take home a silly car. I snagged a 440+ HP mustang last week. I'll just say I "slightly" exceeded the speed limit on the interstate. I was happy to take the KLR home the next day.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #112
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
The i4's do nothing 4 me, but a big lump of a twin, now that's something I can get down with. I lust for it, even.
There's something about a big twin that's difficult to quantify. You have to ride one for awhile to understand it. Ducatis are lightweight, mine weighs 405 with a half tank of gas. And they're tiny. Sitting on the bike, the farthest thing forward that can be seen is the speedo/tach. When I first got it, I felt like I was sitting over the front wheel and it was a bit spooky. Is it faster than a four? Probably not, but it's more than adequate for me.

I have owned one four cylinder bike, a K100. All the rest have been singles or twins.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #113
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

I like i4's....but I LOVE twins
Old 05-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #114
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
well its not a 1000cc but today i kept my I4 in 3rd gear at 80 or 90mph on the freeway for the first time as i am a new(er) motorcycle rider. i say newer because i have rode scooters quite a bit, but nothing geared

anywho all i can say is WOW. at 90 in 6th gear i had it WOT last week and not much oomph was there. i was a bit concerned. but today spinning at just above 8000rpm in 3rd? it was ALL there

i was amazed how the bikes speed just kept climbing and climbing, and getting to triple digits from 80 was nothing! i think i did feel some of that "warp speed" kick in. it just had no slow to it

wind blast was sort of fierce above 100mph so i let up, and it was too fast for conditions. but i got a taste....and i like it!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #115
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
people try to drag race me in their cars from lights all the time. blows my mind. i mean, really, in your little 4-banger Japanese sedan, you think you're going to beat a 130+ hp motorcycle off the line? gimme a break.
Was at a light one day on a R1 and this douche in a Civic pulls up next to me and starts revving his motor, I look over at the guy and tell him I'll make it fair and only race him on one wheel. turns out, it still wasn't fair.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #116
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
this thread reminds me i need to watch my speed, slow down sooner sometimes. i am cautious and a decent rider, but this new found speed must be respected and used judiciously. things can slow down pretty fast on the freeway's and when they do my speed needs to be prudent

i post that just to remind and commit myself to being aware of my speed and conditions when moving fast. it's a "new" fast for me. and this is a fast bike thread so its almost appropriate

um, but back to liter bikes. this thread needs pics. i am going to post a liter bike, you are gonna rate it on a 1/10 scale for me against other Superbikes. so set a bar and rate it. just to help me understand what makes a "Superbike" in the world of motorcycles

DudeClone screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 11:42 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #117
Jim Moore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
well its not a 1000cc but today i kept my I4 in 3rd gear at 80 or 90mph on the freeway for the first time as i am a new(er) motorcycle rider. i say newer because i have rode scooters quite a bit, but nothing geared

anywho all i can say is WOW. at 90 in 6th gear i had it WOT last week and not much oomph was there. i was a bit concerned. but today spinning at just above 8000rpm in 3rd? it was ALL there

i was amazed how the bikes speed just kept climbing and climbing, and getting to triple digits from 80 was nothing! i think i did feel some of that "warp speed" kick in. it just had no slow to it

wind blast was sort of fierce above 100mph so i let up, and it was too fast for conditions. but i got a taste....and i like it!
Thsat 600 is actually fairly potent. Try this. From about 50 mph in second gear, roll the throttle wide open until red line. Shift to third and continue to hold it open. Shift at red line. Same thing with fourth.

Once you get used to that, imagine doing it on a liter. On the liter you will be thinking, "I gotta be getting to red line, time to shift." Then you look down and you have another 3000 rpm to go. It's absolutely appalling.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #118
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,438
A week ago a friend and I swapped bikes for an hour or so.

He rode my '92 BMW K100RS (he used to have one)

I rode his S1000RR, full exhaust and quick shifter.

HOLEE crap! Hit 9 or 10 grand and keep banging upshifts!!!!!!!!! That quick shifter feels like a weapon of mass destruction.

Now I know how it feels to be shot out of a cannon.

Insanely fast
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #119
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
He rode my '92 BMW K100RS (he used to have one)

I rode his S1000RR, full exhaust and quick shifter.
Wouldn't both the K100RS (987cc) and the S1000RR (999cc) qualify as "liter bikes" for the purpose of this discussion??????

JohnCW screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 07:06 AM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #120
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Wouldn't both the K100RS (987cc) and the S1000RR (999cc) qualify as "liter bikes" for the purpose of this discussion??????

at 90hp and 536 lbs, I don't think so.