Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #121
justafurnaceman
Imaginary

Oddometer: 965
Got caught up on watching BSB and SBK yesterday. Boy, I just love watching those guys fly around the track on the superbikes. I can't wait for IOMTT.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #122
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Wouldn't both the K100RS (987cc) and the S1000RR (999cc) qualify as "liter bikes" for the purpose of this discussion??????
Yes... but not all liter bikes are created equal.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #123
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
not any bike that's 1000cc+. or else goldwings would be literbikes. sportbikes or nakeds, 1000cc i4 or similarly hp'ed twins, at the high end of possible HP for a motorcycle. performance tuned, lightweight for the available power.

that's my understanding, at least.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #124
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
at 90hp and 536 lbs, vs. 536hp and 90 lbs., I don't think so.
Fixst, for how it felt.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #125
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Fixst, for how it felt.

'zactly.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #126
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider View Post
My first intro to liter power was on the venerable 1984 VF1000F Interceptor. Bought it used from a buddy (Hi, Mikey!) and took off for home with an open face helmet. Fuck, first time I got it over 5000 rpm, I was looking for a store to buy a face shield because of the tears streaming frm my eyes going on. The feeling jumping to light speed is intense and addicting. I'm currently piloting a Daytona 1200 with a mere 110 hp to the rear wheel and it's too much fun.

Similar story on the VF. I had just advertised it for sale and my 17 y/o son was itching to ride it before it went to someone else. He had a whole year riding street under his belt on a CX500 and was feeling confident. Tossed him the keys and said keep it under 5k rpm. You know he had to try it. His eyes when he got home said it all. Pure, hilarious saucers for eyeballs. I just laughed like hell when he popped the helmet off.
I got the "warp speed" sensation on a small bike that performed big... CX650T turbo. Got ready to pass a car on a short passing zone, had it in 3rd with the boost lights lit. Pulled out, hit it briefly then caught 4th... next thing I realize is I'm long past the car and into the next corner... awesome, just plain awesome. Now I understand what "warp speed" is!

One other half-pint I found to be an experience to be reckoned with - Aprilia SVX550. Claimed 70 hp at a shade over 300 lb. Incredible ability to wave the front wheel in the air when on the throttle and the same with the rear wheel with one finger on the brake to stop. It would take a week just to become semi-competent with it and probably a year to get to ride near potential.

I do agree with the V-twin comments about the feel. They are fun, give some rumble the regular 4s don't. I wonder about the cross plane R1 when it comes to visceral feel. I had a Guzzi 850T, slow, but when you wound it up and caught second it had a wild jump and torque reaction. The two big pistons thumping, shaft drive jacking, front wheel kind of wanting to get a little air, and the bike yanking to the left all at once. Made a person want to grin. A good running 550 four would have probably blown it away, but sure wouldn't have felt the same.

One thing about the V-twin cruisers, they make them for the laid back ride. A Sporty would be a whole lot more fun with all the Buell tricks that were used on the similar engined Buells. Never made sense to me other than the problem that every girl on one could kick their boyfriend's ass on his big twin, leaving them in the exhaust wake. Funny part is the Buells still pulled strong down low.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 11:22 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #127
Ianstein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Not quite up to the liter bike standard, but it sure was fun the first couple times I went wide open when I had my FJR1300. I was coming from a naked SV650. That thing felt like a struggle to even ride at 100. Damn FJR would clip up to that in a heartbeat and cruise at 120 without the slightest complaint.

High horsepower can be fun, but there's something to be said for a bike that also makes good torque along with it.

Chicago To Los Angles For My First Road Trip
Ianstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #128
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Can anyone with experience tell me how a K1200S stacks up "fun-wise" compared to some of these other liter bikes when you open it up? I only have experience with that one and am curious how much insanity I'm missing out on....
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #129
Jim Moore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
Can anyone with experience tell me how a K1200S stacks up "fun-wise" compared to some of these other liter bikes when you open it up? I only have experience with that one and am curious how much insanity I'm missing out on....
The internet says a K1200S can do a quarter mile in a 10.3. That's about teh same as a Gixxer 750. A true liter bike is a notch or two of insanity above that, but not a lot.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #130
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
By a lot of people's definition of a "liter bike" on the internet a Ninja 1000 wouldn't qualify as its a "sports tourer". But a ZX10r definitely would qualify. The interesting thing is a Ninja 1000 produces more HP than a ZX10r up to around 9,000 rpm. Any HP advantage the ZX10r has is all on the top, exactly as you'd expect for a track bike.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #131
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
By a lot of people's definition of a "liter bike" on the internet a Ninja 1000 wouldn't qualify as its a "sports tourer". But a ZX10r definitely would qualify. The interesting thing is a Ninja 1000 produces more HP than a ZX10r up to around 9,000 rpm. Any HP advantage the ZX10r has is all on the top, exactly as you'd expect for a track bike.
True. A lot of non-supersport "liter bikes" can actually accelerate harder than true supersports like the CBR1000RR, GSXR1000, R1, etc., because they are tuned for more usable low- and mid-range power.

For instance, the ZRX1100 I used to have couldn't touch a "liter bike" on the open road, but accelerating from a standstill, it was still just as quick or even quicker than liter-class supersports because of the mountains of torque it had at lower RPMs.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #132
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Been riding open class MX bikes for almost 40 years. Good preparation for liter bikes.

My biggest problem with 'em is ROOM. There is not enough to ride them fast even at some older racetracks. I'm not saying I can use one at 100% but my brain is hard wired for the instant actions needed to deal with that kinda juice.

One liter V-Twins are the perfect combination of power,weight and handling. in 100K miles the Tuono has pulled my ass from the fire many times. I give up 50+ HP to most of the I4s but I don't need electronics to help me to the 7-11 either. And when it comes to ripping up some tasty twisties I can use the power it has.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #133
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
they are fast - there is no doubt about that. Even Carl Fogarty said the new Panagale is "too quick" for him which is insane to think about.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/10/12...review-photos/

Quote:
I asked if he had ridden an 1199 Panigale and was astonished to hear the fearless former Isle of Man TT lap record holder say it was too quick for his rusty reflexes.
which just means I never have any business on one of those, ever
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #134
justafurnaceman
Imaginary

Oddometer: 965
We need some more pics in here: