Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #16
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I am surprised that your average is so low. I do a lot of Sierra Foothill riding which includes some dirt, a lot of back roads and the bike has averaged 57/58 mpg doing that. The best mileage I have done included Sonora, Ebbetts and Monitor passes at pretty fast clip, that netted 61mpg. Altitude makes a difference.

Not much freeway riding. 75 mph gets about 47mpg.

I have the AF-XIED and a Leo Vince exhaust. At lower speeds, mileage went up . I have been running a 17 tooth sprocket on for the last 600 miles. Last tank was 57mpg.

Except for riding at high speed, nothing seems to change much.
My experience has been similar. Click the link in my sig for my fuelly page - about 57 mpg average if staying off the freeways.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
I got 215 out of one tank going 75mph on hwy 99 heading South to Bakersfield, I spent a lot of time laying down and hiding behind the little windshield. I was only about 7 miles into the reserve but I wasn't going to climb the grade to Tehachapi with a fuel warning light on.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
I wonder how you guys get these insane mileages. I've been tracking mine on and off on fuelly for the last few months, and my trailing average is44.3. This is over more than 5000 miles, so it is not a one off. The bike is on the stock silencer, no AXFied or power commander on. I have a bit of the freeway on my daily commute, which probably kills my mileage. But the bike hasn't been that spectacular on backroads either, although it ends up being a slightly better 50 mpg or so.
The bike uses a computer neural net for its engine management system, so it learns how to operate based on your throttle usage, the heavier you are on the gas the more it learns to anticipate you want power all the time, ergo your mileage will be low even when you are babying it around because it is ready to provide power when you want it, conversely if you tend to just putt around and are light on the throttle, it learns you don't want instant power and it adjusts for that, so you get better mileage.

At least that's how I understand it.
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #19
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama View Post
The bike uses a computer neural net for its engine management system, so it learns how to operate based on your throttle usage, the heavier you are on the gas the more it learns to anticipate you want power all the time, ergo your mileage will be low even when you are babying it around because it is ready to provide power when you want it, conversely if you tend to just putt around and are light on the throttle, it learns you don't want instant power and it adjusts for that, so you get better mileage.
First time I've heard of this. Not saying it's not true, but do you have a link to the source of this information?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #20
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama View Post

At least that's how I understand it.
Citation needed.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #21
1190RofDoom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I get about 48mpg on my '14. I'm 280lbs though, and go 70mph on the highways. Light comes on around 150 miles. I know the instant mpg readout goes up quite a bit just dropping to 60mph, and even more at 55.

Adding a camel tank shortly to bump my range. Just under 1000 miles so far.
1190RofDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #22
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
First time I've heard of this. Not saying it's not true, but do you have a link to the source of this information?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrat View Post
Citation needed.
I wish I could remember where I heard this, I just spent an hour googling it and no luck. But this is highly proprietary information, so its not a great surprise that it isn't out there in the public sphere. Or maybe I just heard it wrong.
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #23
b737jets
Baja Explorer

Oddometer: 169
2014 with with TKC 80 Britannia Mirage 2 stock gearing

Clean bike no panniers fwy 75 mph is = 50 to 49 avg range 200 miles per tank easy low fuel light at 160 ish
SW motech trax panniers on with load on fwy at 75 mph = 44 to 42 avg range 180 miles low fuel light at 150 ish

60 mph hwy scenic driving clean gives me 56 to 58 avg with side boxes 48 to 46 avg
b737jets is offline   Reply With Quote