Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #136
Mancolt
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Paging COLT and David....

Please email your shipping address. If I don't hear from you by tomorrow....

Ersin 11' 990ADV and Chad 08 KLR650, your lights shipped yesterday. You should have received an email with tracking info. Looking forward to your feedback.
Sorry Sanjoh, for some reason I had this thread set to email me for replies, but it apparently wasn't working. I just received my bulbs yesterday, so I'm going to try to install them tonight and then I'll be able to report back soon.
Mancolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #137
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,626
Do these fit on a 950 adventure?
I've seen a SE a somebody buying for a 990, but what about 950adv?

Thx
Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #138
Tj007m
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
H4

Just got finished putting the H4 LED in a 04 DR650. Nothing to it. No modifications needed and plenty of room for the heat sink.
It's daytime now but the white light looks much brighter than the stock light in the garage. Also looks pretty cool.
Thanks Sanjoh
Tj007m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #139
Chad05gsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
So I've been able to put on a few hundred miles with the h7's John sent me. These where installed in a 08 klr650. Now I could go into I sold my GS and back on a klr650, but I won't now . The lights look to be of a vary nice build quality.

The issue first at hand here was the tight tolerance of the stock headlight housing. I was not willing to modify the housing at this time. This would mean I would have to grind the bezel at the mounting bracket, to make it fit. Also going back to a stock halogen bulb would be a thing of the past if needed.

So I removed five fins of the heat sinks on both sides to make them drop in.

Going this route I just had to remove the screw holding the retaining clip. Then was able to secure the bulbs with wire, at the stock points.

Some measurements of stock h7's bulbs diameter.

Now I thought of going the full HID setup before. But honestly didn't want to deal with the ballasts. So I never really had a horrible problem with the stock halogen bulbs. But who and why would anyone ever complain of brighter and cleaner light downrange?

So I did a quick test of a one halogen and one led bulb. This was before the modification to the led bulbs. So it was not fully seated in the headlight housing in this picture.

And then it becomes clear of the difference between the two. But brighter and cleaner doesn't mean squat it is not able to put it down range. So I was still on the fence until proven during nighttime real life testing.

Now I was vary surprised on the heat output of the halogen bulb V's the led. The halogens are vary warm where the led was barely Luke warm, if that. The led lights/heat sink barely get warm.

So finally the rain broke for a few hours, after a good week of it. So I was vary eager to try these out in the dark .

Here's few photos with both led installed low beam

High beams

As of now I've left the headlight adjustments where they where with the halogen bulbs. I was vary surprised that the led bulbs in my case pretty much held the same pattern of the halogen bulbs. Just obviously with a brighter cleaner light output.

These really shine when driving at night. Even the street signs light up dramatically farther. So even with the brighter output of these I've had no cagers flash me as of yet.

So here's a few pictures of them during night use on the side of my barn. Low beam approximately 35-40 feet away.

High beams

These are from the local secondary roads by my house. Mind you pictures do not do these justice compared to real life. And also note the roads are still wet from rainfall.
Low beam

High beam

Low beam

High beam

But overall I'm vary pleased with them and their performance gains!

samsung galaxy note 2
Chad05gsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #140
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,625
Thanks for the update chad05gsa.

Do you have any pics of the light housing with the leds mounted?

Did this mod add 10hp
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #141
Chad05gsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the update chad05gsa.

Do you have any pics of the light housing with the leds mounted?

Did this mod add 10hp
I didn't grab one. I have led bulbs arriving this week for the dash lights. So it all has to come off again, I'll take a few then. After the dashboard lights are led I might see 10 more hp

samsung galaxy note 2
Old 06-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #142
foroffroaduseonly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I just put one of these in my 950SE. Just minor mods to the boot and clip that holds the bulb in.

Low beam is great, high beam has a little bit of an inconsistent beam. Should i try removing the shield? Or will that ruin the low beam?
foroffroaduseonly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #143
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by foroffroaduseonly View Post
I just put one of these in my 950SE. Just minor mods to the boot and clip that holds the bulb in.

Low beam is great, high beam has a little bit of an inconsistent beam. Should i try removing the shield? Or will that ruin the low beam?
I would try with the shield removed. In the many installations I've done without the sheild, the low beam has not been affected, still has a well defined cutoff, no scatter.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #144
Mancolt
n00b

Quick update:

Managed to get both of them in and tested on Friday night, but it took a little work. The heatsink on the H7 LEDs is much larger than my stock bulbs, so I had to fiddle with the metal clip that holds the bulbs in. It seems to hold them securely, but there is some wiggle room that wasn't present with the stock bulbs. I'm not worried about them working loose or falling out, but it doesn't seem to hold them all the way in, which slightly changes the shape of the light output. I took a short video, so I'll try to post that to youtube sometime this week.

In the process of mounting the bulbs and testing them, I had to trial and error to get the polarity of the plugs right. Unfortunately, I guessed wrong on both and had to pull the plugs out. In doing so, I managed to pull one of the quick disconnects off of the end of one of the wires. And I'm having one hell of a time finding a drop in replacement male quick disconnect for 20ga wire. I've managed to find male quick disconnects, but they're for 16ga wire (too large for the 20ga wire that that the kit uses), so I'm going to try to find something online.

Or sanjoh, would you be willing to send me a replacement wiring setup? I only need 1 of them.

My initial impressions are that the light is much whiter/brighter. I'm looking forward to actually riding with them as soon as I can get the wiring issue fixed.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #145
Chad05gsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancolt View Post
Quick update:

Managed to get both of them in and tested on Friday night, but it took a little work. The heatsink on the H7 LEDs is much larger than my stock bulbs, so I had to fiddle with the metal clip that holds the bulbs in. It seems to hold them securely, but there is some wiggle room that wasn't present with the stock bulbs. I'm not worried about them working loose or falling out, but it doesn't seem to hold them all the way in, which slightly changes the shape of the light output. I took a short video, so I'll try to post that to youtube sometime this week.

In the process of mounting the bulbs and testing them, I had to trial and error to get the polarity of the plugs right. Unfortunately, I guessed wrong on both and had to pull the plugs out. In doing so, I managed to pull one of the quick disconnects off of the end of one of the wires. And I'm having one hell of a time finding a drop in replacement male quick disconnect for 20ga wire. I've managed to find male quick disconnects, but they're for 16ga wire (too large for the 20ga wire that that the kit uses), so I'm going to try to find something online.

Or sanjoh, would you be willing to send me a replacement wiring setup? I only need 1 of them.

My initial impressions are that the light is much whiter/brighter. I'm looking forward to actually riding with them as soon as I can get the wiring issue fixed.
Did you try radio shack? Not sure if there around you're area or not. But they are pretty good about having items like that in Stock.

samsung galaxy note 2
Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #146
Mancolt
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad05gsa View Post
Did you try radio shack? Not sure if there around you're area or not. But they are pretty good about having items like that in Stock.

samsung galaxy note 2
Yeah that was the first place I tried. They are one of the places that had the male quick disconnect, but it was for 14-16ga wire. I think they may have also had a male QD that was for 20ga, but the QD portion was smaller than the one that came with the kit, so it wouldn't have locked into place securely.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #147
Chad05gsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah that was the first place I tried. They are one of the places that had the male quick disconnect, but it was for 14-16ga wire. I think they may have also had a male QD that was for 20ga, but the QD portion was smaller than the one that came with the kit, so it wouldn't have locked into place securely.
Well it was worth a shot . I'll see if one of my electricians I work with have any ideas, or has one on hand may be. I'll pm you if I can get on for you.

samsung galaxy note 2
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #148
AKXR4
XR rider

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
In the works, expect it to be available in 3 weeks.
I need a hi/low H3. Lookin forward to see what you come up with!
AKXR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #149
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by foroffroaduseonly View Post

Removing the shield made little difference on my SE..
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #150
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Quick update:

Were you able to get it fixed? The production units have a solid one piece connector.