Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #151
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 456
Got my package yesterday, will have to wait for this wet weather to back off for a bit before I can do any comparison pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #152
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
I'm just getting the wiring ready to receive my 60 led flood lights. What amp fuse would you wire these to? I'm thinking 7.5 amp?
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #153
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Happy summer solstice

So on this most ironic day to be searching for additional light, or on the other perspective the perfect time as it's only getting darker from here, I fitted my h4 bulb to my wr250r.

Install was a breeze. Less than 2 min start to finish.

Light output looks considerably brighter doing my garage wall test.

Here's some pics. I can't wait for my mod 60 lights to arrive now. I should of ordered them all together.

Low beam.

High beam.

Right now that's with the little metal shield removed. I'm tempted to see what it's like with it on, but I think the high beam being a bit more like a spot light will work well with my additional mod 60 flood lights. and the best part is, the power saving from the original bulb to this one will pretty much cover the increased use from the spot lights, so my stator can cry with happiness.

crunchiespg screwed with this post 06-20-2014 at 04:22 PM
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #154
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
You have a WR. The stator can power a small town.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #155
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
You have a WR. The stator can power a small town.
Yep. And with the crap I've got wired up to mine I'm glad of it. Got to have my comforts on the big trips.

But freeing up some power, especially when the result is even better lighting is nice.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #156
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
So, the other night I had no high beam. Since my model 60 is wired into the high beam and it still came on, I knew it was not a switch or relay. It would appear as if the high beam portion of my H-4 bulb has burned out... peeeeeeeeeeeerfect excuse to order the LED one :-D
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #157
Mancolt
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Headlights received and installed!

I received my headlights a little while ago, but after some initial difficulty, I finally got things finished up Friday night (2 days ago). I had an opportunity to ride with them a bit Friday night and again last night.

My thoughts regarding the two H7's installed in my 2014 Ninja 1000 are that it's nothing drastic in most situations, but they are a definite improvement. I much prefer the look from the front with the new lights. They appear much brighter when looking at the bike, and definitely have a better color output to them. I wish I had the opportunity to ride with the stock lights and then right after ride with the new LED's on. But because I ran into the issue of pulling the 1 connector off, I had to wait until I found that part to complete the install, which took about a week. So the stock lights weren't fresh in my mind.

I will say that I notice a moderate improvement when only 1 light is on (low beam) and then a huge improvement when I turn my high beams on. The spread and distance (with the high beam on) of the light is much greater than what the stock ones were.

Install was a pain because of the fairings on my bike, and then dealing with the little metal clip that holds the headlights in took some work to get them to fit around the massive heatsinks that come on the new LED's. I recall reading a post on here that these LED's run much cooler than most others, so I'm not sure why they require such a massive heatsink. Nevertheless, I was able to get them to seat in and feel secure. The rubber dust cover didn't really fit that well but I managed to get them on...time will tell if they stay in position.

Overall, I'm very happy with the look of these, and think they're a worthwhile mod. The light output gives a much whiter, cleaner appearance to the front of the bike, and the distance with both bulbs on seems to be a huge improvement from stock. The best way I can describe this is by saying I just don't notice myself wishing I had better headlights anymore. Now when I'm riding at night, I'm not thinking as much about the lights and instead enjoying the whole riding experience more.

I'll try to post some pictures shortly. I took them with my phone, and I did get a short video that I'll try to post to youtube.

If anyone has any questions about the H7's in a sport bike, please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Edit: Here's the youtube video: ADVMonster H7 LED lights on a 2014 Ninja 1000 - YouTube
Sorry about the volume, not sure how to increase that. If you turn the volume on your PC up along with youtube, you should be able to hear all my comments fine. I thought I posted a reply with the pictures, but for some reason I'm not seeing it. If it's still not posted by tomorrow, I'll try again.

Mancolt screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 06:52 AM Reason: Video added
Mancolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #158
Mancolt
n00b

Here are some crappy cell phone pics...definitely not a good photographer. I think the video will be more helpful for anyone considering.

Both LED's installed and high beams on:

Slightly different angle:
Old 06-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #159
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,624
Thanks for the update Colt.

The light pattern looks awesome
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #160
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
How are the H7's coming?
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #161
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyOne View Post
How are the H7's coming?
Available mid July at the latest.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 AM   #162
Johnny105
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Been watching for the H7

OK, new here but have been following this thread especially in regards to the H7 bulb. It looked like the H4's separated into two pieces for install, do the H7's do the same?

Looking at Colt's install and I would have the same trouble with the bulbs being loose on my Honda. What I was hoping for is that the H7 separated and you could use bulb adapters for the HID kits to allow the base to be secured to the housing with the OEM wire and then plug the other half into it.

Does the bulb separate? and would there be sufficient room between the two pieces?

John
Retired LEO FBINA#174
Johnny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #163
Mancolt
n00b

Hey Johnny, I'm not sure what the answer is to your question, so I'll have to wait until sanjoh weighs in.

I didn't try to remove the heatsinks, but the arrow in the image below points to the part of the unit where the adapter connects. The adapter just has 2 wires running into it, that you then connect to the power source on your bike. You might be able to remove the heatsinks, which may allow the bulbs to seat more fully into the socket. But you'd need to leave that black piece the arrow is pointing to in place, or find a way to move it closer to the LED itself. Not sure if that's helpful in any way. You can see the black piece at around the 2:04 mark in my video when I'm comparing the stock bulb to the new LED one.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #164
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny105 View Post
OK, new here but have been following this thread especially in regards to the H7 bulb. It looked like the H4's separated into two pieces for install, do the H7's do the same?

Looking at Colt's install and I would have the same trouble with the bulbs being loose on my Honda. What I was hoping for is that the H7 separated and you could use bulb adapters for the HID kits to allow the base to be secured to the housing with the OEM wire and then plug the other half into it.

Does the bulb separate? and would there be sufficient room between the two pieces?

John
they do not. at least the test units I got don't.

argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #165
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny105 View Post

John
Only the H4 can separate the base from the led.

The heatsink is easily modified with your choice of metal removal tools.

We should have the H7s in stock in a couple of weeks.