Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #106
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
I don't think it will fit. Does it have the adjuster on the back of the headlight bucket? Kinda looks like a turnbuckle used to adjust vertical beam height.
Yes it has that on the back.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #107
jsyzdek
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
The headlight housing will have the DOT info on it. Pull out your current H4 bulb and check for DOT markings

I know my headlight housing is DOT approved (OEM Suzuki), I was asking about the light bulb. Just out of curiosity. I've ordered it anyway.
jsyzdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #108
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
I purchased 2 H4s. First one I put in my bmw XChallenge. Nice white light. The 2nd one I put in my 2014 KTM 1290 superduke. Straight forward install...plenty of room. It blinks off and on....both on high and low beam. The ktm has a row of LEDs that function as daytime running lights. I wonder if this somehow interferes & causes issue with the new led light. I switched the light from the XChallenge but the same off/on blinking happens. Anyone know of a fix for this? I emailed John, I'm sure it's something with the new 1290 that causes this. I hope to find a work around, if not....I'll find a home for the spare H4 in another bike.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #109
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
I purchased 2 H4s. First one I put in my bmw XChallenge. Nice white light. The 2nd one I put in my 2014 KTM 1290 superduke. Straight forward install...plenty of room. It blinks off and on....both on high and low beam. The ktm has a row of LEDs that function as daytime running lights. I wonder if this somehow interferes & causes issue with the new led light. I switched the light from the XChallenge but the same off/on blinking happens. Anyone know of a fix for this? I emailed John, I'm sure it's something with the new 1290 that causes this. I hope to find a work around, if not....I'll find a home for the spare H4 in another bike.
Does the KTM have a light burned out warning feature? I know that causes problems with LED headlights on newer Jeeps.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #110
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbender View Post
Does the KTM have a light burned out warning feature? I know that causes problems with LED headlights on newer Jeeps.
Yes it does, and it was blinking in unison with the new H4 & the row of original LEDs ...I bet there's a resistor I could use to fool the ECU into thinking all was well. Just hate to experiment with a new bike not knowing what's what.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #111
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Yes it does, and it was blinking in unison with the new H4 & the row of original LEDs ...I bet there's a resistor I could use to fool the ECU into thinking all was well. Just hate to experiment with a new bike not knowing what's what.
This is from Truck-Lite, but I think is costs almost as much as the ADVmonster light, however might give you some ideas. http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...5014&langId=-1

Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #112
morgantm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Placed a order for one today!
morgantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #113
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbender View Post
This is from Truck-Lite, but I think is costs almost as much as the ADVmonster light, however might give you some ideas. http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...5014&langId=-1

Rail bender, thanks for the link. I happen to have a '12 jeep wrangler and I bought the truck Lites . Really white LEDs for plug and play. I think they all suffer from the "flickering" described....but unless observed under certain circumstances isn't detectable by the human eye. Unfortunately, my problem with the KTM is more of an on/off...as in on for a couple seconds....then off...repeat. Not the really fast flicker from PWM modulation. I'm waiting for John to answer my email. I'm in hopes he has a work around.

If I thought the adapter from truck lite would fix it...I'd buy it right now.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #114
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

The 1290 comes with a DRL that can be disabled through the menu. This might allow the led to function without blinking. I will try and report back tomorrow. I'd imagine the 1190 may be the same and suffer the blinking as well.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #115
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,553
Quote:
The 1290 comes with a DRL that can be disabled through the menu. This might allow the led to function without blinking. I will try and report back tomorrow. I'd imagine the 1190 may be the same and suffer the blinking as well.
Email sent. Sounds like the halogen lamp is much slower than the LED, thus no blinking.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #116
Festus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Protective shield

In some pix in this thread the bulb is installed with the metal shield over the bulb, in some it is not. Is the shield to be removed, take screws out? Just want to make sure mine is install properly. Also is the proper orientation of the bulb with the plug at 12:00? Went on a 750 mile dual sport ride this past weekend, some of it very rough stuff, bulb survived being hammered.
Thanks, Festus.
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #117
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus View Post
In some pix in this thread the bulb is installed with the metal shield over the bulb, in some it is not. Is the shield to be removed, take screws out? Just want to make sure mine is install properly. Also is the proper orientation of the bulb with the plug at 12:00? Went on a 750 mile dual sport ride this past weekend, some of it very rough stuff, bulb survived being hammered.
Thanks, Festus.
Some, probably most, installations work better with the shield removed.

The pigtail connection on the back should be at 12oclock. That is unless the reflector has an unusual design. The widest tab on the H4 base is also usually at 12oclock.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #118
Festus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Thumb Led

Thanks for the quick reply.

Quote:

The pigtail connection on the back should be at 12oclock. That is unless the reflector has an unusual design. The widest tab on the H4 base is also usually at 12oclock.
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #119
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

It's good to know the shield can be removed. On my 1290, the shield didn't have enough room to slide through without rubbing. Went in ok, but was a real trick to remove.

Thanks Sanjoh for the quick replies. I'll let you know if disabling the DRL has any effect on the blinking h4 led..(fingers crossed)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #120
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:

Got one of these H4's installed in my DR350SE, and it seems to put out a lot of light, just what the doctor ordered. Just wondering if it would work better without the shield I think you're referring to. On my bulb the shield is attached as part of the base piece with the three tabs that locate the light bulb in the headlight housing. The only way I could see to remove the shield would be to cut it off somehow but still leave the base piece that the bulb twists in to. Am I missing something here?